Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Originally Posted by deny_winarto View Post
I read one of the comments here here :

That whether flash 10 will be released on N900 or not depends on the manufacturer (nokia)..
So is there some sort of petition in nokia website where we can vote for N900 Flash 10 port?
If not maybe it's better to make one in their site, because Nokia seems to abandon this site :P
Let`s do it!.....or better hack their site and put it on wikileaks....I bet we are gonna find some very interesting dialogues about the N900 and flash

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Based on what I know, the secret dialogs (very likely) went like this:

Nokia: "Adobe, TI, Please get flash 10.x running on OMAP 3. Here's some money to do it."
Adobe and TI: "OK!"

<they go away for a while, then come back>

Adobe and TI: "Here you go! Flash 10!"
Nokia: "Wow. This is really slow and jerky. It's like there's no hardware acceleration at all. This is even worse than the current Flash we have. Can you please make the performance acceptable on current generation OMAP 3 devices, like our N900?"
Adobe and TI: "Oh probably. Give us some more money and we'll see what we can do."
Nokia: "More money? But you didn't give us anything yet!"
Adobe and TI: "Sure we did! You just asked for Flash 10, and we gave you that. You didn't say anything about performance."
Nokia: "But reasonable performance was implied."
Adobe and TI: <looking at their contracts> "Nope. Nothing in here about that."
Nokia: "You know what? Never mind. We have a bunch of new, faster devices coming out in Q4 2010 that will run this slug at reasonable speeds."

Of course, the expected devices have yet to come out, but ...

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Nokia: "Wow. This is really slow and jerky. It's like there's no hardware acceleration at all. This is even worse than the current Flash we have. Can you please make the performance acceptable on current generation OMAP 3 devices, like our N900?"
That the original Droid is the only sub-1GHz device to appear on the Adobe Flash 10.1 certified devices page may support your idea. That Droid owners seem to feel Flash 10.1 only becomes usable when their phones are overclocked may support you more.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The main support for my idea came from some conversations I've had recently, one of them as recently as last month.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
That the original Droid is the only sub-1GHz device to appear on the Adobe Flash 10.1 certified devices page may support your idea. That Droid owners seem to feel Flash 10.1 only becomes usable when their phones are overclocked may support you more.
So the one here is OC as well?

http://nokia-n900.com/flash-player-10-1-on-nokia-n900/

I heard 10.2 is the final version, and it's supposed to be better than 10.1 in terms of performance... Maybe that's what Nokia intended for N900?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by deny_winarto View Post
So the one here is OC as well?

http://nokia-n900.com/flash-player-10-1-on-nokia-n900/
Others have pointed out in this very thread that Adobe's demo of Flash 10.1 on the N900 involved no 10.1-specific features. If that's the case, then it's difficult to be sure exactly what was running on that N900.

Adobe certainly caused false expectations here and elsewhere with their early proclamations of "Flash 10.1 is GPU accelerated!" The tiny asterisk leading to the "on Windows" disclaimer was difficult to catch. And with that benefit removed, the hope of seeing 10.1 performing better than 9.x on the same hardware becomes less bright.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
flash 10.1 on the HTC desire is not stable too, and that device is running a newer and faster 1 ghz cpu. so i think nokia just refuses to implement 10.1 because it simply wont run descent on the n900.

well maybe we should keep hoping on html 5 support... as head of the UI at nokia was stating. will be further implemented in the new UI of meego.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Based on what I know, the secret dialogs (very likely) went like this:

Nokia: "Adobe, TI, Please get flash 10.x running on OMAP 3. Here's some money to do it."
Adobe and TI: "OK!"

<they go away for a while, then come back>

Adobe and TI: "Here you go! Flash 10!"
Adobe and TI: "Oh probably. Give us some more money and we'll see what we can do."
Adobe and TI: "Sure we did! You just asked for Flash 10, and we gave you that. You didn't say anything about performance."
Nokia: "You know what? Never mind. We have a bunch of new, faster devices coming out in Q4 2010 that will run this slug at reasonable speeds."

You know what's sad about it? It's most probably exactly how it went. Thanks for giving me a good friday laugh.

Sorry if this has been posted, but i found someone point at this on a maemo forum ..

http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/fold...eflash-a8.html

Does this actually work?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland

classic stuff.
Case: How to ruin your partenrship by being shortsighted and *** towards your customer. Somehow reminds me of some of our goverments projects where they got basically robbed because of badly written contracts.

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update