Active Topics

Ok people so I've got Samba on my Linux box exposing my home directory and videos to me on my N900.

This works fine - but when I try to play these videos in the video player it just plays like 10 seconds smoothly then just starts to jerk!

The same videos work perfectly on my N900 otherwise (bog standard 350MB avi files).

The problem as I understand it is that the N900 buffers 10 seconds - but because it doesn't see the directory I'm loading the files from as a remote directory it doesn't buffer any more. Is there any way I can either:

1) Use a different media player
2) Force the video player to always have 30 seconds of buffer available?

(My wireless network bandwidth is plenty!)

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Moscow
I mostly use mplayer with -cache 8192 option. Problem is -- mplayer doesn't use DSP, so videos, encoded with heavy codecs (such as H.264), can be slow.

Also, there is VLC player which uses DSP (or tries at least ). You can find it in this repo:
Code:
URL: http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/maemo/
Distribution: fremantle
Components: free
You can run it from console using 'cvlc' command
I found these two options for caching:
--file-caching=<integer> Caching value (ms)
Caching value for files, in milliseconds.
--network-caching=<integer> Extra network caching value (ms)
Supplementary caching value for remote files, in milliseconds.
Third option is Knots 2 (http://wiki.maemo.org/Knots2), which uses VLC to transcode videos and stream them to the network. This way you can even play HD content on fly. Transcoding uses a lot of CPU power and memory on a PC, but with a decent PC you can easily stream 1080p videos to the n900.

P.S. Sorry for my english.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silvarum For This Useful Post:
Is there a way to set the defaults for mplayer to open videos with that options as default? (Other than replacing the binary with a script that calls the binary)

Thanks for the info dude - I was thinking noone was gonna reply! lol

The Following User Says Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I am looking for a similar way to watch playon videos through my home network and the buffering is the problem. Is there any easy way i could expand the streaming cache in the media player to reduce the buffering?

Thans

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Is there a way to set the defaults for mplayer to open videos with that options as default?
Edit /home/user/.mplayer/config

I've got a very little linux box (Asus wl500gp / Mipsel) that serves movies to a fullHd TV.

The n900 plays it without any problems! Big Movies!

My upnp-media server is ushare.
Other people use mythtv.

When I play by samba it goes much slower.

The stock media player is wonderful! It shows directly (without any further installation!) all the files of the media-server and plays them if he knows the codecs.

You shouldn't use samba but a upnp media-server.

Hi,

Could you please let me know how can we make samba working in N900

Thanks in advance

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Moscow
Easiest way is to install power kernel.
There is a section about CIFS (another name for Samba). Just don't forget to unmount the folder in the end, though it probably will unmount automatically.