Active Topics

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Guys looks like Rogers and Bell dominance is coming to an end

I read on Engadget that they are offering unlimited data and text for 65CAD a month with voice and texting!!!

However they are using HSPA AWS(1700/2100) does anyone knows if this frequency is compatible with N900?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
HSDPA 900/1700/2100 is supported. I don't know about HSPA.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
I just switched to these guys, they launched in Edmonton and Vancouver last week. So now 4 cities in Canada have proper coverage.
It's a good time to sign up if you live in toronto,montreal,edmonton, or vancover. You can get unlimted everything for $40/mo. It's the same as their good friends and family plan, but it's available to anyone that signs up before nov 30. And of course it's the same AWS bands, works 100% with our n900.
This is a better launch that WIND, they seem more professional and are not blocking ports.

Can you tell me what are the speeds you are getting as far as downloads are concerned?

You can try speedtest.net.

I might switch away from Wind...

netC

PS: Do you know what email I could use for Family and Friends deal you linked to?

I do not see the Nov 30th deal on their website.
Only $45 + $10 for data add-on.

That is why the Friends and Family plan looks so great.

netC

Just signed up with these guys this Saturday, using the N900 without any problems.

They don't advertise on there website but you can get this deal at the store.

Download speeds are not the best but it is OK for what I use the device for. Taken in the Marpole area.
Download: 1.56 mbps
upload: 519mbps

There coverage is OK but you can defiantly notice that this is a new network there are dead zones in there coverage, hopefully these will be taken cared of in the near future.

adosanjh:

can you stream reliably from youtube - for instance?

I would want to see if you can watch good definition movie that is longer than 5 minutes - with no interruptions.

I am trying to ascertain if the speeds are consistent - this is more important to me than bursts (I am getting up to 3.5 mbps with 310mbps uploads on Wind, but it is flaky and never lasts over 2 minutes (due to their asanine method of network management).

I would appreciatte if you guys could test this and share with the rest of canuks - although the fact that there is no port filtering really seems amazing already!

netC

netC,

The stream does seem to be fairly consistent but it has stopped on me once in a while but the last time I remember it was 5 minutes into the youtube video before stopping.

However I listen to the internet radio and it has not stopped on me yet. Again this is in the marpole area of Vancouver.

adosanjh

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
yeah you get that exact deal i linked to, but you don't need to do the referral thing. just go into any wind store/dealer/kiosk, they should have it advertised. it still says family & friends $40 on my bill and has the exact same services.
download speeds in edmonton are 1.5mbit down and 0.8mbit up at the moment, seems about average. also, ports are all unblocked, unlike the few months i was stuck with WIND. I verified ftp, ssh, remote desktop, a-gps, so far are fine.

In Toronto, I'm getting speeds about 1.0-2.0 Mbit down and ~1.0 Mbit up.

All ports are open, but certain types of traffic get major shaping. For example, I couldn't get GTalk video to connect from the N900, even though the latency is low (~100ms) and there's plenty of available bandwidth.