Notices

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Egypt
If they're developing for the Palm Pre then I doubt they'll have to change more than 5 lines of code to make the games run here..

Hate being devil's advocate here.. but Application development is not just a matter of changing 5 lines of code or changing the installer to work. Every application needs to go through rounds of rigorous testing in order to ensure the application actually works on the platform. Plus the differences in the physical hardware will only require these procedures more so.

Thats just the development - they need to go through things like marketing and commercials with OVI / Apps store for sales and deployment.

Not as easy as you'd think..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bchliu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Egypt
I know what they have to go through, but it's not just one guy to take care of all that. They lead mobile game development. They ported their games from iOS to Android to WebOS. WebOS and Maemo are most similar here obviously. It isn't hard at all for such a company.

the question is not whether they can do it (of course they can)

... its whether they make money doing it

Or putting it another way, how many % of ppl do you think actually PURCHASED the game on palm pre before running it on their n900 via preenv ?

come on, be realistic here - as the preenv developer said to my suggestion he put up a paypal donation box so I can donate, on a typical n900 project only about 3 ppl would donate and the effort of putting up a donation box is not worth it.

Posts: 292 | Thanked: 348 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
Well, I agree with all of you, but don't you think this representative would never say " we are not interested in maemo public " ?
If I were them, and as I think, probably 1 % of themselves would use the N900 for playing a game, why waste my time with our secluded community, instead of filling iphone fanboys with more, and more games?

Posts: 292 | Thanked: 348 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
the question is not whether they can do it (of course they can)

... its whether they make money doing it

Or putting it another way, how many % of ppl do you think actually PURCHASED the game on palm pre before running it on their n900 via preenv ?

come on, be realistic here - as the preenv developer said to my suggestion he put up a paypal donation box so I can donate, on a typical n900 project only about 3 ppl would donate and the effort of putting up a donation box is not worth it.
Oh, I was 2 mins late.
Made your words mine, of course you explained it better!

Originally Posted by snuski View Post
hey maybie if we send enough letters to game companies they will develope for the n900 whos with me?!
Count me in Mate

Originally Posted by deny_winarto View Post
Hmmm that's odd, i got a different response :

Is this an automatic response?
No it wasnt an Automatic reply. Gameloft's customer care representative replied me.
By the way what was their response?

Last edited by xtcfarhan; 2010-11-20 at 22:01.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by snuski View Post
hey maybie if we send enough letters to game companies they will develope for the n900 whos with me?!
1+ im with you

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
@scyzor: I agree with you here, maybe a little more than 5 lines of code but the N900 would probably be one of the easy ports to do, especially since the hardware is very much like the Palm Pre. Sure, of course theres some multitouch and stuff to take care of, but that's manageable. A more honest answer would be that the N900 is a more hackable platform and might suffer from too much piracy. The OVI store sucks least to say, but I guess gameloft hosts their games on their own site.

Tags
hate gameloft