Notices

Hi all, this is hopefully very simple but i can't seem to work it out right now and Im in a bit of a rush (Im using these co-ordinates to find a meeting place tonight). I have been given a N and W set of GPS co-ordinates, how do I put them into Ovi Maps so i can view the location? That's all I need to do

By the way Ovi Maps currently shows my position as in the Irish Sea, which is worrying. I never learned to swim.

Edit:
When I googled I found someone asked the same question on Nokia support site in January however never received any reply, so hopefully that means Im not the only stupid one

http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/t5/Ma...900/m-p/613695

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-05-17 at 20:37.

Well I still can't figure it out..

I'll go hunt out my old n95/tom tom to take with me tonight. If anyone knows a way of doing this on the n900 please leave a comment so I can try it out next time. Thx.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
im sure thats one of the many missing features of the n900 version of nokiamaps

The Following User Says Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 82 | Thanked: 214 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cape town
I'm not sure if this will work Pre Leaked PR1.2 Maps, but:
Code:
Nokia-N900:~$ dbus-send --dest=com.nokia.NokiaMaps --type=method_call /com/nokia/maps/MapPlugin com.nokia.Navigation.MapPlugin.ShowPlaceGeo double:<latitude> double:<longitude> uint32:5
Will do the trick, where latitude and longitude are in decimal degrees. Originally I thought the uint32:5 represents zoom level, but apparently not.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cb22 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cb22 View Post
I'm not sure if this will work Pre Leaked PR1.2 Maps, but:
Code:
Nokia-N900:~$ dbus-send --dest=com.nokia.NokiaMaps --type=method_call /com/nokia/maps/MapPlugin com.nokia.Navigation.MapPlugin.ShowPlaceGeo double:<latitude> double:<longitude> uint32:5
Will do the trick, where latitude and longitude are in decimal degrees. Originally I thought the uint32:5 represents zoom level, but apparently not.
Thanks cb22, but Im finding that typing this into xterm launches Maps fine but it then tries to lock and display my current position rather than showing the coordinates I'm passing in. I'm typing it all in on "one line" (and replacing the <lat> and <long> with my floating point decimal degrees ofcourse). Im not using the leaked 1.2, I have 1.1. Is there maybe something else Im missing?

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 214 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cape town
Unlikely, it could just be that the feature was added in PR1.2
I got that code by watching dbus-monitor, when tapping on "Show in maps" on a Geotagged photo, which is a new feature in 1.2.

The Following User Says Thank You to cb22 For This Useful Post:
Oh well, another reason to look forward to 1.2 then

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
For shell calling via dbus

Code:
dbus-send --dest=com.nokia.Navigation.NokiaMapsProvider --type=method_call /Provider com.nokia.Navigation.MapProvider.ShowPlaceGeo double:<latitude> double:<longitude> uint32:0
Enter floating-point values for <long..> <lat...> like 31.2543