Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by titan View Post
kernel-power specifies Provides: kernel-feature-usbhost
I suggest to add this to your hostmode kernel and let hostmode-gui depend on it this feature.

I'll integrate Paul's patch in the next upload.
Very nice. Thanks a lot! Looks like a proper solution for pkg installation time.
For runtime, and to tell apart different versions of hostmode API, the hostmode-version= patch is still recommended. Mohammad's GUI will test for that (at least I hope I talked him into doing so :-D)

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2010-11-10 at 23:46.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Also see this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-USB-Host-O...item3a6029aec2

I think it should exert less stress on the flakey USB port.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
pfff, who needs those adapters from the store. When you can get this beauty. </sarcasm>
I had an old motherboard lying around, so I just un-soldered the double-connector and joined parallel connections.
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aligatro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
guys is this the one i need ??
I picked up this one a while ago, hoping this project would be fruitful some time. I can tell you with great certainty that it works, as I've used it already to connect up a thumb drive. It doesn't stress the connector much with light-weight things like thumb drives. Not bad for under $2 shipped (though it will take a couple weeks, unless you happen to live in/near China. )

Great job on this to everyone that's worked on this, both directly and indirectly! This was in the top 5 for things I really wanted the N900 to do, and the last one to show up. But it was so worth the wait!

Question to the creators of this mod: Is it possible to turn on host-mode, but without 5V, so, for example, to be able to inject power from wallcharger?

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Hello, I have a question, I have Titan's version 44 power kernel installed. How would I go about getting the hostmode-gui running? When I try to install it from terminal, it has other custom kernel and kernel-flasher dependencies. Would this mess up my already installed Titan's kernel?

Thanks

It would. You'll need to wait till they remove the dependency (or get the hostmode-gui.deb on its own, which he posted a few pages back).

The Following User Says Thank You to IzzehO For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aligatro View Post
Question to the creators of this mod: Is it possible to turn on host-mode, but without 5V, so, for example, to be able to inject power from wallcharger?
Please see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=866309&postcount=9 the postscriptum

I have the annoying habit to frequently edit forum posts to add new facts and details, rather than quoting the whole original post starting the topic, just to add a few words. So an occasional re-read of the whole thread might be worth it. This also holds true for drive-by askers who think it's easier to push out their question rather than going through the whole thread to see if it's maybe got answered previously. Those random duplicate questions just add to the length of the thread for nothing, thus making it even more annoying for others to read up from beginning.

/j

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2010-11-11 at 03:16.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Please see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=866309&postcount=9 the postscriptum

/j
I've had some mild success with Y cables for external power, but the thought of leakage into the N900 while at 5V doesn't sound like it'll end well. Just how easily could we burn out the chip on the N900 driving in current while VBUS is at 5V (and BME is disabled)?

I've found the phone WILL die if you still have a powered peripheral connected after turning off VBUS, which is not a pleasant sign in itself.

Originally Posted by IzzehO View Post
I've had some mild success with Y cables for external power, but the thought of leakage into the N900 while at 5V doesn't sound like it'll end well. Just how easily could we burn out the chip on the N900 driving in current while VBUS is at 5V (and BME is disabled)?

I've found the phone WILL die if you still have a powered peripheral connected after turning off VBUS, which is not a pleasant sign in itself.
hostmode is *safe* from a hw point of view. This includes applying 5V externally at any random point in time, as well as overloading or even shortcircuit of internal 5V supply aka vboost.
It's just the whole musb-core gets confused with vbus applied when it shouldn't, so we have some issues with switching speeds, entering/leaving hostmode, *not* entering peripheral mode, etc. Also, as we need to stop bme, there's not charging during hostmode for now. All this doesn't mean you could break anything - you CAN NOT, as long as you're not using overvoltaged external PSU or other obviously rogue evil crap

I said "enjoy hostmode" - I meant it like that :-) Don't worry!
/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2010-11-11 at 03:34.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, detection, h-e-n, hostmode, speed, usb host