Active Topics

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Karmic and Maverick both work fine installed to emmc as well.

I reparitioned the flash using solution 4.6 from http://wiki.maemo.org/Repartitioning_the_flash.

When I tried installing the xserver-xorg packages from debian unstable, I got errors with the keyboard-setup package, and touchscreen still didn't work.

Anybody get bluetooth working on Maverick yet? Is it the same method as karmic? I really don't care if the built-in keyboard or audio works, as long as I can use my BT keyboard and headset.

Additionally, when I try Karmic, touch sorta works, but the Y-axis is inverted. I've tried a few things in xorg.conf, but nothing seems to work. Anybody else?

keyboard:
----
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Keyboard"
MatchProduct "TWL4030 Keypad|gpio-keys"
Option "XkbModel" "nokiarx51"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle"
Driver "evdev"
EndSection
----
and why do you use the debian xserver? there is one in ubuntu.

EDIT: look out: the names of the devices depend on the kernel(caps , space...) but you find it in the xorg log. Drivers are quite easy to find if you have a rough idea what you need.

Last edited by lunat; 2010-10-28 at 03:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to lunat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivyking View Post
which image did you download ?you need OMAP 3 image
on your pc , use your n900 in mass storage mode and, do the following :
sudo sh -c 'zcat ./ubuntu-netbook-10.10-preinstalled-netbook-armel+omap.img.gz >/dev/<device name>'
that will write the downloaded image to your sd card , it will wipe anything on it .
now you are done with pc , unplug the n900 from it , and reboot the n900 .
now open xterminal
sudo su
mkdir /mnt/ubuntu
mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 /mnt/ubuntu
chroot /mnt/ubuntu
--- done
I did use the OMAP3 image. Tried again, copying and pasting these commands, and got the same error.

don't know if anyone will see it.

to enable touchscreen tsc2005 is the module(like often stated) you need. with that you have multiple options and you can have them together. looks like this(you can configure a mouse the usual way as well in addition):

---
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "tslib touchscreen"
Driver "tslib"
MatchIsTouchscreen "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Touchscreen"
MatchProduct "TSC2005 touchscreen"
Option "Calibration" "225 3931 3740 231"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "yes"
Driver "evdev"
EndSection
----
first way works together with tslib and you will need to install tslib and tscalibrate to calibrate the sceen. tscalibrate needs a device(some reported a problem with error "tsopen...") you find it in the Xorg log. it's /dev/input/eventXY you'll spot it.

the second is evdev which i like more for it simulates many things like mousewheel out of the box but also needs calibration.
solution:
---
git clone http://github.com/tias/xinput_calibrator
cd xinput_calibrator
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/opt/xinput_calibrator
make all install
---
you'll find a single program in opt and start it like that:

DISPLAY=:0 /opt/xinput_calibrator/bin/xinput_calibrator

paste the ouput of the program omitting the first value as your calibration values. works like a charm.

bluetooth btw works i didn't see any clitches.
usb has some clitches. but works fairly well.

br.

Last edited by lunat; 2010-11-01 at 18:28.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lunat For This Useful Post:
any fix on keyboard??? does somebody managed to fix that

see two posts below. at least two drivers working. keyboard never was a problem at all. xorg settings again:

keyboard:
----
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Keyboard"
MatchProduct "TWL4030 Keypad|gpio-keys"
Option "XkbModel" "nokiarx51"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle"
Driver "evdev"
EndSection
----
Edit with:
/etc/modules:

#keyboard
gpio_keys
matrix_keypad

Edit2: to have the hint in this post as well: the productname varies slightly. that depends on your installation. so the term after "Match Product" might need adjustment. you find the name in the xorg log. you will spot it . just copy and paste it.

Edit3: the keyboard works without the obove settings( only without the function key, the blue arrow key. i.e. without the number keys.) the above is to make the fn key(blue arrow, toggle) and with it numbers, brackets.. work as well. for the console(tty) you only need a keyboard map to make it work.

Last edited by lunat; 2010-11-01 at 18:26.

so , how do we put it in our device without an sd card , and without losing our settings :P???

Originally Posted by naturegodtm View Post
so , how do we put it in our device without an sd card , and without losing our settings :P???
i have multiple sd cards and never mind but what i do here is nothing for anyone who can't handle that problem. this is for people who like me try to get that thing going and might need one hint to go on.

how i started was: i built a standard kernel and an initrd with only a static shell iand the modules in it. then i took ali's uboot work and patcht that up that it suited my needs so i don't need to flash anymore and have a more sane state. i got that working and moved on got the sd cards working...
so rather from scratch

but go some posts down and find the post where i tell how to leave the ubuntu in the img file and mount it(that way your change would be one file on the emmc). you can boot into that image with out doubt if you mount it the way described(initrd or bootmenu hook in preinit of maemo).
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=248

EDIT:
too make that cristal clear: i have a special kernel(kudo to ali) that is in fact a bootloader. i don't touch maemo besides that kernel and boot straight into the sd card from that. my real kernel resides on the sd. ok?

and another comment to this provocation: i wouldn't need any storage on the device to do it. i could do it having all the stuff on the harddisk of my pc even on the other side of the world on a server. sd is just a little more convinient!

[ and a last /if/ i changed the settings(which i didn't) so what? ]

Last edited by lunat; 2010-11-02 at 04:22.

Posts: 309 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Malaysia
hi..is this stable enough for me to try?

are there any new and latest updates for ubuntu? =)

Originally Posted by one1002 View Post
hi..is this stable enough for me to try?

are there any new and latest updates for ubuntu? =)
maybe others got further than i. as i see it most use the maemo stuff, put it on the image and run it. that way you might get a fairly working thing. but to be honest this is actually maemo running in the background with ubuntu on top.

and if you want to have it running without copy and paste from maemo it gets difficult. they have a 2.6.35 kernel and you need the kernel support which is only given to a certain degree. so you need to collect your peaces. e.g. i have no phone working up to now. something is missing(even without pin ...).also that stuff changes a lot so if there are descriptions they are often outdated so you need to read the mailinglists... then you need to boot it. you again have to decide to use the maemo kernel and with it the maemo stuff or use kexec wich is maemo testing or fuss with the bootloader.

so i think you may get it running but i consider it highly devel. but others may have gotten further than i.

it might be worth to look at meego, how they boot and try their kernel. afaik the majority of the kernel work that is pushed upstream atm comes from the meego folks. great work there. i also saw that they have a description to boot meego in a way that is similar to how i do it(but i only skimmed over it) so that might be a solution to boot into ubuntu as well(independend of maemo).

im at it and i hope others are well.

Last edited by lunat; 2010-11-02 at 06:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to lunat For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox