Active Topics

@tobiasj: Actually the repos will be restored after re-flashing if you restore the backup.. apps are not backed up, but the list of repositories are (which is really the file /etc/apt/sources.list)

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ here and there
This is just what I need to completly start fresh. I have a huge list with broken repos. This makes it all easier and it has some I didnt have. Thanks man.

Last edited by RioT; 2007-10-21 at 18:32.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
This service is very interesting, yes. If you have any proposal related to it and maemo.org please expose it in the maemo channels (enhancement request or mail to maemo-developers) providing as much details as possible about what would you do.

In the meantime, what we are doing is to improve http://downloads.maemo.org to make it more inviting for application developers (to list there their software) and user friendly (for end users).

About the repos themselves, our priority is to promote extras and ease its access to application developers, so everybody finds better to upload their packages there. Having clever lists of repositories helps, but what definitely would help to end users would be to have a very limited set of repositories where all the good stuff would be easy to find - as it generally happens in the Linux world.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ south germany
Hi all,

many thanks for your positive responses

Originally Posted by ericdkirk View Post
...but could you make an install all for a 770 or N800, that would be really sweet but the script might not support more than one.
I'm not sure if there is a possibility to install more than one repo with the same install-file, but I'll try it!

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
About the repos themselves, our priority is to promote extras and ease its access to application developers, so everybody finds better to upload their packages there. Having clever lists of repositories helps, but what definitely would help to end users would be to have a very limited set of repositories where all the good stuff would be easy to find - as it generally happens in the Linux world.
I'm agreed with you. It's better to have a few repos full of software than many with only one prog. The more repos you've installed on your device, the longer time takes for scanning the internal device-database and the online-scan.
On the other hand: If some of the big repos is down like http://repository.maemo.org/extras in the last days, there is no software install available: We live in a linux-world and this world is highly de-centralised for good reasons! My little script should be no competition to the maemo-garage, but a simple completion...

Last edited by Joschi; 2007-10-22 at 07:04.

Originally Posted by Joschi View Post
Hi all,

many thanks for your positive responses
No!, Thank you!

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ south germany
Hi all,

I tried to realize a "single-click-installs-all-repos" - but it don't work

How to install more than one repo ist described here and here. But the file format
Code:
[install]
repo_name  = Foo Catalogue;Bar Catalogue
repo_deb_3 = deb http://foo.com/maemo bora user;deb http://bar.com/maemo bora user
package    = foo-app
don't work: I get all Repo-Names as a single name and all urls are in the components-field. The program manager seems to ignore the semicolons completely....

So I know only one other way: My scripts could write a complete sources.list (there is an example for N800 here) You can copy this file to your /etc/apt/, set the right owner, group and permissions and hope, it would work. I think this way is not comfortable at all and absolutely no way for beginners.

If anyone knows a working file-format for install all repos with one click, send it to me and I'll do the rest

Last edited by Joschi; 2007-10-22 at 19:39.

I downloaded them all to a folder pasting the names in the begining of the file name (repository.install) then copied that folder to the n800. The internet is really slow here...

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
@tobiasj: Actually the repos will be restored after re-flashing if you restore the backup.. apps are not backed up, but the list of repositories are (which is really the file /etc/apt/sources.list)
Thanks for that info, I didn't know they got backed up. Usually when I reflash the OS I am trying to clear away something I well, had configured not quite correctly, so I don't restore after. Still for a normal os flash I will surely back up and restore now.

Thanks again,

-John

I noticed in an earlier version it didnt back the repos up but it does now.