Active Topics

Poll: Did PR 1.3 meet YOUR PERSONAL EXPECTATIONS???
Poll Options
Did PR 1.3 meet YOUR PERSONAL EXPECTATIONS???

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
i have to say thank you nokia ! i had a battery lifetime of 5 hours (using it a lot). now it makes 1 whole day (still using it a lot). that was what i expected !!

Originally Posted by tebsu View Post
i have to say thank you nokia ! i had a battery lifetime of 5 hours (using it a lot). now it makes 1 whole day (still using it a lot). that was what i expected !!
Now am glad we are talking reasonable and on a respectable mental discussion lever

yes i am so happy with the new speed and the battery life and thanks a lot to Nokia, when we are disappointed for not having what we expected doesn't mean that we hate all of it
it is like saying "oh i wish they did so......"

so thanks to Nokia, but, i need more to struggle with other competitors

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Some comments on the OP are harsh, most firmware updates come with something new as well as bug fixes, but once again the comments and tags written by fanbois continue to support crap and slag off anyone that dares go against the sacred and mighty Nokia. (cue sound effects of choirs and angels and dramatic pause) "Ooooh... Nokia."

I really couldn't honestly tell you if anything has improved after PR1.3. Battery life, eh? Mine still lasts the same with light use, no improvement. Media player still stutters if I reply to a text while playing music, I can't get ANY ring tone to work for SMS and it now has given up and just vibrates. I had custom rings tones installed but that wouldn't select any Mp3, instead just defaulted to whatever was set, I uninstalled that and now the default ringtones won't ring half the time as the phone app can't be bothered. The device for detecting which way the phone is balanced plays havoc with both internet and phone use, throwing it to landscape and portrait without me moving my hand. The N900 simply can't multitask beyond the basic definition of the word. All the missing features are still missing, tracker-index still chews 80+% of my CPU and and looking at my battery graph I am still losing ten percent of my battery for each half an hour of using the 'freoffice' word editor to simply read a document..

The only thing improved with 1.3 is the amount of abuse people get from the community in saying that it was pants and not worth it.

On a happier not, I would say unlike some unfortunate people I had no issues whatsoever in updating using the normal wi-fi and download route. So that was a good thing, at least I don't have to reflash or anything.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
wait for pr 1.4...
ROFLOL ha ha ha

Yeah good luck with that.

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

Last edited by twigleaf1976; 2010-10-28 at 11:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to twigleaf1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mhamza View Post
when we are disappointed for not having what we expected
Not everyone is disappointed. Atleast I ain't disappointed in the least.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
You can't polish a turd....
But you can roll it in glitter...

can anyone tell me about the trackers? is it fixed?

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ New Hampshire, US
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
N900 is :
* as the name suggests, an N-series device
* as the number suggests, the next evolution is the tablet line, a high end device line.

Am I to assume that an N-series phone (advertised as such) would be a huge regression from 4-5 YO N-series device?
You are correct, it is the next evolution of the tablet line. N700, 800, 810, 900. None of those were phones. None of them had a GSM radio. They were strictly "pocket computers".

As a tablet, the N900 is in fact a pretty nice advance over the previous versions. It is more pocketable, has a better user interface, faster CPU, more memory, more flash, a pretty good camera, VOIP, etc.

Plus it can be used as a phone. So for someone like myself who is coming from the N800 rather than from some smartphone the N900 looks pretty good. I get all my tablet stuff that allows me to leave my laptop home in a lot of circumstances. Plus it can now make and receive phone calls so I don't have to carry a separate phone.

I think that was what the OP was trying to get at. If you think of the N900 as another smartphone, you may well be disappointed. If you think of it as an Internet Tablet with a phone bolted on, then you will probably be pretty happy with it.

It seems clear to me that the N900 was never intended to be like a Blackberry where there are a bazillion phone-features. And I did not buy it with that idea in mind, I bought it because I liked my N800 and thought the N900 would be an improvement.

The problem seems to be that some people bought it with the idea in their head that it was a Blackberry or something and now they are upset and come here to yell at the rest of us as if we are somehow supposed to be disappointed like they are.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bobh View Post

The problem seems to be that some people bought it with the idea in their head that it was a Blackberry or something and now they are upset and come here to yell at the rest of us as if we are somehow supposed to be disappointed like they are.
We are not yelling at anybody, no body is responsible for others to be disappointed at their own expectation.

Good for you that you felt upgraded, but it is obvious that you mixed between the idea of buying N900 at the very beginning and expecting some changes on the run
i am Happy with my N900 as a Tablet and as a Phone, but,
what is the problem to expect more pleasure in being able to have a detailed log with call duration?
whats wrong with expecting a turn by turn navigation!
whats wrong with expecting a 3G video call
and all those expectations while am smiling and thanking Nokia for giving me the chance to hold this amazing extraordinary non-blackberry gadget!!
again it is difference between Accept and Expect
they can go hand by hand with no offend

The Following User Says Thank You to mhamza For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
I just paid £500 for a new Dell laptop, and it seem that's not going to have turn by turn navigation at any point either. BOILS MY P!SS IT DOES!

Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
I just paid £500 for a new Dell laptop, and it seem that's not going to have turn by turn navigation at any point either. BOILS MY P!SS IT DOES!
Exactly
this shows how it is anybody's right to expect and disappoint
some are reasonable like expecting adding advanced phone options as long as you are providing a phone option to whatever tool, and avoid that feeling of Oh thank God we have a phone now on a tablet, because simply this is old option already in other companies, so if you accept to be left behind under the title of acceptance to whatever you get!! it is your right too

and here is example of how superficial and non sense expectations might be in the above quoted text, yet i wont ever attack him, it is his capabilities to think that his dell might have navigation, for whatever reason, he is newbie in notebook, he cannot understand the difference, and might be fooled by someone and sold it to him as a phone, but we cannot attack him
dear i feel sorry for your loss and don't worry wait for the dell updates might include whatever you dream of be patient

Tags
fanbois cry, harsh reality, head splitting, noob noise, qt and bugfixes, rraaggee!!!, shitter thread, waaaaahhh