Active Topics

Poll: Did PR 1.3 meet YOUR PERSONAL EXPECTATIONS???
Poll Options
Did PR 1.3 meet YOUR PERSONAL EXPECTATIONS???

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
My old 1974 Volkswagen Beetle works fine too! And I love it. But I *AM*, however, glad that there has been progress in the way cars are designed. Just saying.
Well.. driving around in a 1974 Volkswagon is likely to get you a few "Holy sh*t! How is that still alive?" responses sure.. but that's quite a bit different than the "Holy Sh*t! How do you do that?" responses I still get with my N900 sometimes.

Nevermind me Dan. I'm not getting into another pissing contest over Android vs Maemo again. I'm glad you like your phone. Enjoy.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Is not about breaking down anything pr 1.3 indeed improved couple of things, Is about potential that this device STILL have and not fully reviled because of company politics as well as customer expectations regarding to what we know this device is capable of...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
i am actually very happy with this latest update, phone seems way more quicker especially the browser and media player, and noticed my phone reception and battery are better than before. not to mention qt 4.7 added, the phone is almost near perfection. not very often do you see a piece of hardware/ software reach perfection these days

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s15mos For This Useful Post:
Why some posters are taking it so personal, if u find it really helpful update then congrats, and i am happy for you.

it is all about expectations if u dont expect, this is your own peoblem, i do,
and about that funny word about reading mind YES, part of competetion and success is to read mind of customers

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mhamza For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by devu View Post
Is not about breaking down anything pr 1.3 indeed improved couple of things, Is about potential that this device STILL have and not fully reviled because of company politics as well as customer expectations regarding to what we know this device is capable of...
True, but if Nokia tells you not to expect Flash 10.1 (or voice navigation for maps) why on earth would you expect it? Believe me, I've never been happy with how Nokia treats the N900 but I don't complain when they don't deliver what they told me not to expect.

Edit:

Seriously it's like a kid who asks for X for Christmas and their parents telling them it's not going happen. And then the kids complain when they don't receive X at Christmas.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Well.. driving around in a 1974 Volkswagon is likely to get you a few "Holy sh*t! How is that still alive?" responses sure.. but that's quite a bit different than the "Holy Sh*t! How do you do that?" responses I still get with my N900 sometimes.

Nevermind me Dan. I'm not getting into another pissing contest over Android vs Maemo again. I'm glad you like your phone. Enjoy.
It doesn't even need to be Android vs Maemo. It could easily be '74 VW vs 2010 Fiesta or 1980's clothes washer vs 2010 he washer.. the irony is that the N900 is so last-decade and it's only been a year.. and my Droid came out at nearly the same time and STILL gets far more impressive support from the first party as well as third party. Nokia isn't even trying.

Also.. really? You get "Holy *****? How did you do that?" I mean.. I've seen the N900.. you must be showing off to flip-phone owners.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
As you so kindly pointed out point-by-point why you think I'm wrong, let me respond in kind:

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Wait, so they should have read your mind and included everything you could think of, otherwise you're disappointed and right to be disappointed?
No, not read my mind... just the market. Competitor's phones which cost less money are getting better and longer-term support than this one.

And no, not everything I could think of... just keep in line with or ahead of the market curve - with the aim of being the best or at least trying. They are not trying.

Well for one, this isn't a Nokia forum. That's one reason I can't stand these hateful, destructive threads. People with a bone to pick start attacking anyone who doesn't agree with them in their anger.
This is a forum, for a range of Nokia manufactured and "supported" devices, on which people are discussing the manufacturer's failings and how they feel let down/short-changed.

Except that the problems with Nokia's support are well known, oft documented on these forums. Crap flinging threads like these that only hit regular users are utterly useless in the short run and do nothing but drive people away. And, unsurprisingly, most are made by people whose SOLE PURPOSE FOR COMING HERE WAS TO *****.
As I said previously, just because Nokia's "support" problems are well known, that does not excuse the problems. They should sort this out and could if they so chose, they just do not. This response goes exactly to the point you made the first time which is what annoyed me and I responded to.

No one here can help you. Go yell at Nokia directly. Frankly, I'm getting tired of it.
People here can help. There are members of this community who work with and for the maemo team, not to mention those who will pick up the development path at the point when Nokia do officially cut off "support" for the N900 completely. These people can change the direction this device could take or even, just maybe, influence Nokia - which is under some considerable flux at the moment with a higher-management shake-up.

Tired of it? Fine... don't read it! The problem she is solved. By not reading it, you won't be in any way able to respond to it. Then you too will have helped me by not being a part of the other type of "troll" on here.

Depends, I suppose if you're a flavor-of-the-month kind then buying into this device -now- would be a foolish endeavor. As for me, there's nothing else like it at the moment so I've got nowhere to move to.
Yes, a foolish endeavour. And by the look of it, this will be the case for a long time because the reason, Meego that is, for Nokia having dropped Maemo as the new future of mobile devices (something they actually did kinda mention more than a few times!) is not coming any time soon... they are very behind and as ever losing ground to competitors. All the more reason to kick up a fuss and make them realise they need to support this one more in the mean time, it is after all still selling quite well and proving reasonably popular on the almost zero-effort promotion that Nokia dedicated to it.

Don't you have more anti-Nokia, anti-N900, user-attacking posts to go thank?
How is that helpful, or any less childish/pointless than what you're accusing him of?

The Following User Says Thank You to stopgap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by stopgap View Post
This is a forum, for a range of Nokia manufactured and "supported" devices, on which people are discussing the manufacturer's failings and how they feel let down/short-changed.
Actually, this is a Maemo forum--not a Nokia forum. He's right on that point. To your credit, though, we *ARE* talking about Maemo.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Also.. really? You get "Holy *****? How did you do that?" I mean.. I've seen the N900.. you must be showing off to flip-phone owners.
I've gotten impressed reactions from people owning Android devices and iPhones. But they aren't technologically savvy. I know more about both those devices than their owners. Some of my technologically savvy friends are impressed about the native abilities associated with Linux but they don't want to carry around a phone with that capability all the time (one's on Windows Mobile 6 and the other has a Droid).

Edit: Though whenever anyone that asks me about it considers buying one I turn them away from it.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
True, but if Nokia tells you not to expect Flash 10.1 (or voice navigation for maps) why on earth would you expect it? Believe me, I've never been happy with how Nokia treats the N900 but I don't complain when they don't deliver what they told me not to expect.

Edit:

Seriously it's like a kid who asks for X for Christmas and their parents telling them it's not going happen. And then the kids complain when they don't receive X at Christmas.
Yes, the kids usually shell out $500 for Christmas, then they complain they didn't receive X.

When Nokia was pushing the N900, I don't remember them saying WARNING: We are making a big deal about how we support Flash now, but that doesn't imply we will support the .1 update to Flash when it comes.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:

Tags
fanbois cry, harsh reality, head splitting, noob noise, qt and bugfixes, rraaggee!!!, shitter thread, waaaaahhh