Active Topics

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
You did notice that Apple had record profits in their last quarter, right ?
I missed the part in your logic between apple having record profits in 2010 and meegos success in 2012.

this is a good example: Enron in year 2000
http://picker.uchicago.edu/Enron/Enr...Report2000.pdf

and what happened in 2002?

I am not saying that Apples financial numbers are faked or anything, but your argument could have been used also with enron in year 2000....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Meego will come and it'll be awesome.

Perfection takes time and dedication and won't happen overnight. I bought the n900 not expecting anything other than what it was supplied with.

The n900 is awesome and maemo as an OS is better than IOS and Android. I myself can't understand why people would buy a device with expections of software running on it that has yet to be developed.

Either get involved in development or relax sit back and enjoy the ride NOKIA will get there..

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
There is no reference "Linux". There is no reference KDE. There is no reference Qt. There is no reference Gnome. These are all finished products and ship as such.
Totally wrong. What you list ARE the reference starting points and DO NOT ship to end users as such. Distros ship *customized* versions of them as they are UPSTREAM. Try to download the sources from kernel.org, qt.org, kde.org, compile, and see if you get a Kubuntu in the end.

I specifically like how they named the products released thus far Meego 1.0 and 1.1. Truer names should be Meego 0.1 and 0.5 It sounds like what they are calling 1.3 will be worthy of a 1.0 number.
That I agree with.

I'm really worried that there is going to be a "reference" version of Meego that is mostly open and then vendor specific versions that contain a pile of closed source stuff that is needed to actually make things work. If that is the case, its no better than Apple or Android.
If you are after Flash, Skype et al, that is unavoidable. The other thing MeeGo can't help you with is the driver issue. OTOH the MeeGo APIs (when they get to the full extent they need to go) is a lot wider than Android's so provide less fuss if integration is needed (i.e. you don't need to rewrite half of the OS to get a customization like Sense).

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
You should have researched better before you bought an N900, etc, etc. You should be perfectly satisfied with the device you bought the way it was when you bought it. :P
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I've been asking around about borrowing some build time to do a ARMv6+VFP build. And today while I was in transit I've spent time researching how to do it properly.
I'm not sure about the probability of success for MeeGo adpatation.
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I'd prefer to assume 0% probability and then beat the odds.
Thanks for your research. Can you clarify on probability of success? You previously said there was no strong blocker...
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=41

There is a purpose to MeeGo on N8x0. Are you aware that gtk+ is being integrated with MeeGo?

http://blogs.gnome.org/foundation/20...call-for-bids/

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
If a meego phone will hit the market. Hope to get some information about the progress and/or release the 15th. Otherwise we might have to wait until late next year to buy n9. That would be a tragedy.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Thanks for your research. Can you clarify on probability of success? You previously said there was no strong blocker...
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=41

There is a purpose to MeeGo on N8x0. Are you aware that gtk+ is being integrated with MeeGo?

http://blogs.gnome.org/foundation/20...call-for-bids/
I've spent some time setting up a dual core machine with SSSE3 support and a large bunch of space, with OBS installed, so I have a resource to do the ARMv6 vfp build now. I am currently travelling but once I'm back home..

Yes, I know about the bid. I have hildon (no maemo gtk extensions) working on top of stock GTK and with themes, but have no interest in making a bid, so I'm hoping some maemo.org guys will step up and continue that work and collect the bid.

The compositor issues are fixed in 1.2 and windows are decorated properly and all.

http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/hildon/toolbar.png for a pre compositor fix screenshot
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Open BME IPC implementation and contextkit plugin
OMAP3 DSP support and base image
OMAP3 DSP accelerated Ogg Theora and Ogg Vorbis
ARMv7 hard floating point port of MeeGo
OMAP3 DSP accelerated JPEG encode/decode
NEON optimized Vorbis and FLAC
Release engineering: easy install of MeeGo PR1.3 u-boot for dual-boot purposes
These sound awesome :-) Two Qs:
- Does both DSP & NEON Vorbis make sense?
- How much of the above is also relevant on OMAP2?

erm... just think on the brighter side... If it's true what you say then you would have a rare device on your hands since you'll see a very few people owning it

Tags
troll, trololololol