I am currently using your latest patch. Is the safety for the speakers disabled in that patch too?

I had a read of this thread and it really sounded ( sorry for the pun ) promising , however SavageD you said

"To others that tested my earlier patches, thanks for all the feed backs , however I highly recommend that you restore your default drivers and forget that my patches ever existed. You really don't want to have muted speakers, trust me...I would also remove my previous patches, for safety reasons."

are you saying don't use this at all ?

So, is the new patch coming? O: Sorry, it just feels like this thread died.

Pr1.3 just came out, and I'd have to check out some stuff in the new firmware, so It'd take a while. I'm way too reluctant to make the update, cause as it is, I'm way too happy with my devices performance and battery life on PR1.2.

Maybe next week I'll post up the guide whenever I get the time. And to arif and ferrari. Yes, do not use my patches at all, restore your defaults. The n900 speakers are wwaaaaaaayyyy too weak for loud music, trust me, I lost one of my speakers because of it. Try PR1.3 for the time being, I think they improved battery life a bit....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SavageD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 345 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Reunion Island
hum okay, but where are your patches ? don't you think it could work on the go on pr1.3 ?
btw, i think we got the same sound loudness as on nitdroid cause' i've already noticed that you could feel a louder sound (maybe more bass) when playing on nitdroid !

PC :
MSi K9N2 Diamond, AMD Phenom 9950 BE @ 3.2ghz, 2x2GO DDR2 G.Skill Extreme Pi Black PC8500, Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X, Hitachi 1To sata II

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
I see you removed the patches.Could you please explain which values in which file increase the headphone out quality? I don't care about speaker quality or volume but better and warmer sound out of my headphones would be awesome! I did love to play around with it a bit.

Kind regards

My older patches somehow causes the battery life on PR1.3 to be slightly worst. Also, My speakers blew not necessarily because of the "loudness" but because it built up a lot of strain, from the loudness from the mp3's I was testing, until finally, it gave out..How do I know this?

At the time my speakers blew my volume was pretty low, it wasn't at all "loud". It happened while I was playing Quaker 3. This is why I said the n900 would never be able to play loud music because it's speakers are too weak. If the strain builds up, over time, they will in fact blow....

Originally Posted by GiGi. View Post
I see you removed the patches.Could you please explain which values in which file increase the headphone out quality? I don't care about speaker quality or volume but better and warmer sound out of my headphones would be awesome! I did love to play around with it a bit.

Kind regards
To get better quality through the headset edit this file with leafpad:

/var/lib/pulse-nokia/ihfandheadset

Change both xprot statements from "true" to "false"

Change left and right gains from "6000" to "10000"
Change ear_ref_padding from -3333 to -5555

If the above doesn't help let me know. Don't worry it won't affect the speakers or anything else for that matter. Just the headset.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SavageD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
To get better quality through the headset edit this file with leafpad:

/var/lib/pulse-nokia/ihfandheadset

Change both xprot statements from "true" to "false"

Change left and right gains from "6000" to "10000"
Change ear_ref_padding from -3333 to -5555

If the above doesn't help let me know. Don't worry it won't affect the speakers or anything else for that matter. Just the headset.
Could you explain what this does please?

Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
Could you explain what this does please?
It makes the volume in your headsets louder.

Xprot acts as a limiter for the volume and sound quality. Disabling them stops aslamixer from limiting the amount of volume in the headset.

LGain and RGain (or DB gain) further increases volume. Though the n900 has a bug somewhere that makes changing the values less effective. So changing from 6000 to 10000 makes very little change :/

ear_ref_padding acts as a muffler. The higher the value the more it muffles the sound quality. Changing it to lower values e.g -3333 to -5555....makes the volume some what louder.

The Following User Says Thank You to SavageD For This Useful Post: