Do options 1 and 2 increase the volume of the headphones output as well as the built in speakers?
Thanks I plan to try your scripts soon.

Here is a new update.
I improved sound quality im both options.
Lowered values in speakers for better battery life and safety.
Fixed some other probs I noticed, headset and tv out.

About battery life:
It should be 2 - 3 time better now. I have been hammering my device from 10am to 3:30pm and it when down only 50%. And I mean I was constantly on it mostly doing hacks. And sound quality should be better through out all sound outputs; headset, earpiece, tv out, bluetooth. fm transmitter, everything...

@Jakiman can you upload your "Backups" folder? I want to check something.

Edit: Uploaded battery eye Screen Shot.

Removed
Attached Images

Last edited by SavageD; 2010-10-24 at 17:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to SavageD For This Useful Post:
Does 2 increase the volume of the headphones output as well as the built in speakers?
Thanks I plan to try your scripts soon.

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
Here is a new update.

About battery life:
It should be 2 - 3 time better now. I have been hammering my device from 10am to 3:30pm and it when down only 50%. And I mean I was constantly on it mostly doing hacks. And sound quality should be better through out all sound outputs; headset, earpiece, tv out, bluetooth. fm transmitter, everything...

For this update plz try Option 2 only....for safety reasons.
Hi,

Just tried your tool, no more sounds at all ...

Problem occur after applying 'sh Option_1.sh' and rebooting the device.

Pulseaudio doesn't start anymore as daemon :

Looking in /var/log/syslog :

Code:
Oct 21 09:21:56 Nokia-N900 init: pulseaudio main process (845) terminated with status 1
Oct 21 09:22:59 Nokia-N900 init: pulseaudio main process (4295) terminated with status 1
Oct 21 09:23:19 Nokia-N900 init: pulseaudio main process (766) terminated with status 127
Oct 21 09:23:19 Nokia-N900 init: pulseaudio main process ended, respawning
Oct 21 09:23:20 Nokia-N900 init: pulseaudio main process (818) terminated with status 127
Oct 21 09:23:20 Nokia-N900 init: pulseaudio main process ended, respawning
Oct 21 09:23:20 Nokia-N900 init: pulseaudio main process (850) terminated with status 127
Oct 21 09:23:20 Nokia-N900 init: pulseaudio main process ended, respawning
Oct 21 09:23:20 Nokia-N900 init: pulseaudio respawning too fast, stopped
Oct 21 09:25:50 Nokia-N900 init: pulseaudio respawning too fast, stopped
Oct 21 09:31:11 Nokia-N900 init: pulseaudio main process (1926) terminated with status 1
Oct 21 09:31:29 Nokia-N900 init: pulseaudio main process (769) terminated with status 127
Oct 21 09:31:29 Nokia-N900 init: pulseaudio main process ended, respawning
Oct 21 09:31:30 Nokia-N900 init: pulseaudio main process (820) terminated with status 127
Oct 21 09:31:30 Nokia-N900 init: pulseaudio main process ended, respawning
After reverting back with 'sh RestoreDefaults.sh' and rebooting the device, sound come back and all goes well.

Any idea ?

A++

this seems pretty interesting but i think ill wait till the kinks are ironed out

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
Here is a new update.

About battery life:

For this update plz try Option 2 only....for safety reasons.
I tried option 2, the only way I can make sound stutter is by opening app manager whilst listening through the speakers, so well done, it seems to work.

All I would say is that the sound is now very low until you have the volume full, in which case it's very loud.
The last 10% of the volume bar seems to be 60% of the volume.

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
I'd like to see battery life extension figures from those who use push email.

Sorry to keep repeating myself but I don't think this is a difficult question. Does option 2 increase the volume of the headphones output as well as the built in speakers?
I need this info to decide if to use the scripts or not, I listen to music almost exclusively through headphones which could do with being louder than the default maximum.

So what exactly is the difference between option 1 and 2 volume wise? I would like to have the best possible quality from the speakers (even if this can possibly break them )

Ok got some bad news and some good news.

The bad news:

The Speakers on the n900 sucks...I mean it sucks so terribly that you can't possibly have high sound quality at high volume levels, while maintaining speed and performance. Alsa mixer is a mess also, some values are inverted in some places. Meaning if you increase levels in one area, quality is decreased in another. And values that should increase quality in one area, actually decreases it. Alsa mixer also calls on some drivers that simply don't exist, like cd drivers and lenova drivers?

In my deperate attempt to solve the sound quality issue, I ignored javispedro's warning and disabled xprot....which really made sound quality phenomenal. However in the process it muted my right speaker. So I may now have to get my n900 replaced (lol?)....The irony here is that I was actually trying to make the patches safer for other users

The good news (although not so good):

I have a patch that is now safer to use, meaning it would not burst the n900 speakers. However sound quality is slightly lower through the n900 speakers only. Everything else however sounds louder and better; headphones, tv out, bluetooth, ear piece etc. It should also double the battery life, make the device more responsive and increase speed.

I would upload the new patch later, and because I know some people are curious to know what each file does and targets (speakers, headphones etc), I would try to come up with a guide so you could edit the values yourself without damaging the device. Manual labour is always better....Actually I may just write the guide only...since the patch seemingly does not work for some people...I'll have to decide later.

To others that tested my earlier patches, thanks for all the feed backs , however I highly recommend that you restore your default drivers and forget that my patches ever existed. You really don't want to have muted speakers, trust me...I would also remove my previous patches, for safety reasons.

Last edited by SavageD; 2010-10-21 at 19:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SavageD For This Useful Post: