Posts: 48 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ wolver
ubuntu is great ive had it installed for some time now and its now vary rare i boot windows now. i used a program called Wubi to install and made the whole install really easy for a first time.

definatly worth playing around with it before i got my n900 i never even knew the vast amount of options out ther for os. i love how ubuntu runs aswell its fast easy to set up and fun to use.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by MaddogG View Post
In my opinion, Ubuntu is too much "Windows-like"... oh, yes, is very, very noob-friendly, but if you want to learn something about Linux, I think you should try something else (like OpenSuse )
that is nothing! you have to start with gentoo and build your own kernel and apps!!!!! there is no way besides that to be tru3 l1nux!!!
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
BACKTRACK 4 R1 all the way

Try ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Very nice OS. Newer 10.10 have some bugs, it may take some time for community to fix them.

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
I would go with Ubuntu over fedora or OpenSUSE

1 word ... .deb

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
I would go with Ubuntu over fedora or OpenSUSE

1 word ... .deb
Yeah.. really hate RPM.

And what makes Ubuntu more windows like? Also have been using Ubuntu 10.10 since alpha 2. It have been really stable for me and works better than 10.04.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-10-21 at 11:27.

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
In my opinion, Ubuntu is too much "Windows-like".
In what way shape or form is Ubuntu too 'Windows-like'?
My mrs has Ubuntu on a 10" white netbook and it looks exactly like OS X...not like windows one bit!
I have an installation on my desktop using the standard theme and ...well I can only say it looks 'Ubuntu-like'.

They both have a desktop...normally with things on...you use a mouse, keyboard, look at a monitor...I think that really is as far as the similarities go!

Last edited by James_Littler; 2010-10-21 at 11:36.

In my opinion, Ubuntu is too much "Windows-like"... oh, yes, is very, very noob-friendly, but if you want to learn something about Linux, I think you should try something else (like OpenSuse )
well he is a noob so it's better that its noob friendly. Want it to be a hardcore one? Simple! Download the server edition which is pure commandline

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I'm guessing you're currently running some version of Windows. If so, and you have a multi-core CPU with at least 4GB of RAM (preferably 8GB), and the CPU supports the later generations of virtualization, I recommend running Ubuntu inside of VirtualBox.
That would be the best of both of your worlds, and most importantly, no rebooting involved.
Thats a good proposal. For just the first tests even 2GB of RAM are enough.
Dont let you confuse by the "ubuntu is better", "opensuse is better", "... is better". Thats normal in Linux communities
I bring another in "KDE is better" I use Kubuntu so this would be my choice.
So now we can start another KDE vs. Gnome battle ... no wait.

So with daperls proposal, you can easy test some different distributions, some Desktop Environments, and then you choose your favorite.

Next step after that could be a dualboot on your Harddisk, so on boot you can decide if windows or linux. This would result in a bit faster system and better hardware support (As in a virtualbox you cant use all internal cards, like dvb cards)

After some years maybe you end like me, with windows is gone from my harddisk.

I think Ubuntu, Kubuntu (Or install KDE in Ubuntu, than its nearly kubuntu), Opensuse, Fedora or Mint can end in your choices.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
I too use Ubuntu. I've tried Linux OS' on and off over the past 10 years, but it was only when I tried Ubuntu 18 months that everything (that I needed anyway) just worked, or I could get to work with a little digging around. I had already become an opensource advocate before then and then when I used it on my home media server (an old desktop machine) I was converted to the extent that my Windows partition on my laptop is seldom used, and when I heard that the n900 had an opensource OS and the price was right (£265 refurb from carphonewarehouse) I jumped in and got my first OS phone.

Last edited by mrsellout; 2010-10-22 at 12:30.