Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
By then, someone would dream up something it doesn't do like start the coffee maker in the morning or suttin', they will start a whiny thread, and then a whole bunch of folks will feed off it until they whip themselves into a dang frenzy and wont appear to be satisfied until governments are overthrown.
Well, isn't the thing supposed to be able to make my bed in the morning, while simultaneously making me breakfast and going to work for me. SERIOUSLY NOKIA?! WTF. COME ON, I PAID $550 FOR THIS AND IT DOESN'T DO SOMETHING AS SIMPLE AS ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING EVER?!

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
For Nitdroid you need to head over to forums.nitdroid.com (they moved things over there to makes things easier)
i have checked there. nothing but some recent patches made by eyes, which were awesome by the way . But dj is working on froyo for dell streak now and for what.... is the thing i dont understand, because i heard its supposed to get an official update to froyo.
Trust me everyday i go to nitdroid forums for updated news, but nothing. no irc logs or anything.

this is the thing i dont understand- why do cant people fully utilize the n900, it is a open source phone. how can htc hd2 get full froyo working in a matter of time and we all are still struggling? i thought maemo developers were way talented than that

Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by anwar71839 View Post
this is the thing i dont understand- why do cant people fully utilize the n900, it is a open source phone. how can htc hd2 get full froyo working in a matter of time and we all are still struggling? i thought maemo developers were way talented than that
you do realize the HD2 and the N900 are completely different hardware, right? Furthermore, don't these 'android on windows mobile devices' fallacies still rely on booting to windows mobile first then launching haret.exe to pseudo bootstrap android off an SD card? No thank you.

I really don't understand your logic... the N900 is an 'open sourced phone' (with several things - namely the GSM radio driver and video drivers being closed source), so it should automatically be able to do everything you can throw at it? Don't blame the maemo developers or people working on nitdroid - blame powerVR/TI for the closed video driver and Nokia for the closed battery driver.

trolls go awayl

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
you do realize the HD2 and the N900 are completely different hardware, right? Furthermore, don't these 'android on windows mobile devices' fallacies still rely on booting to windows mobile first then launching haret.exe to pseudo bootstrap android off an SD card? No thank you.

I really don't understand your logic... the N900 is an 'open sourced phone' (with several things - namely the GSM radio driver and video drivers being closed source), so it should automatically be able to do everything you can throw at it? Don't blame the maemo developers or people working on nitdroid - blame powerVR/TI for the closed video driver and Nokia for the closed battery driver.
I am truly sorry. i didnt mean to blame anyone. i am just frustated. i have waited almost a year for this update on my 600$ n900, which i bought when it came out. My itouch has got hd video recording on a 0.7 meg pix camera while n900's camera doesnt. All aside, the thing i really feel sorry for is that Nokia is the reason many talented developers have left the community. N900 deserves better than that
i am not too worried though cause i know even if it aint official, i will soon get dual boot. the community will come through. lets hope.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I am truly sorry. i didnt mean to blame anyone. i am just frustated. i have waited almost a year for this update on my 600$ n900, which i bought when it came out. My itouch has got hd video recording on a 0.7 meg pix camera while n900's camera doesnt. All aside, the thing i really feel sorry for is that Nokia is the reason many talented developers have left the community. N900 deserves better than that
i am not too worried though cause i know even if it aint official, i will soon get dual boot. the community will come through. lets hope.
Your iTouch is a generation newer than the N900, it has almost twice the CPU power (not counting overclocking the N900) and double the RAM, just for starters. Not exactly a fair comparison.

The N900 is more comparable to the iPhone 3GS (iTouch 3G), which you notice does NOT have 720p video recording added, they didn't even allow it to multitask without jailbreaking it. So frustrations aside, we have to be realistic.

It does annoy me that the N900 has huge oversights, I mean you can't even change the order of tracks in the media player playlist on the N900, you couldn't even delete tracks form the playlist until PR1.2 which was insane. If it takes them that long just to add basic functionality, I am expecting much from PR1.3.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So lemme get this straight.

PR1.3 isn't out, so we get a cautionary thread to not expect PR1.4... right?

Erm... thanks. Duly noted.

Posts: 205 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ manila, philippines
what does PR mean by the way?

i have checked there. nothing but some recent patches made by eyes, which were awesome by the way . But dj is working on froyo for dell streak now and for what.... is the thing i dont understand, because i heard its supposed to get an official update to froyo.
Trust me everyday i go to nitdroid forums for updated news, but nothing. no irc logs or anything.

You might want to follow their twitter accounts if you want up to date news. Here's e-yes's http://twitter.com/#!/drunkdebugger

Fixed installation of apps to sdcard, #nitdroid 0.0.9 coming soon (still have smth to fix). Android 2.2.1, a lot of fixes.
No clue on what dj_steve is doing with the Dell Streak. And it's not a matter of talent, it's a matter of userbase. The HTC HD2 has more users therefore more developers. The N900 has less users and less developers. Booting Android off other devices is not just a matter of talent, it's also influenced by the number of developers who are working on it, testing it, and submitting patches.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Well the thing about the HD2 is: it was Microsoft's last chance to promote Windows Mobile. With HTC they made a trully great phone; hardware and software.

The thing is Windows Mobile 6 is one of the, if not the most advanced mobileOS available (sorry Maemo you're a close second). However WM6 bears its roots to a stylus entry ancestors, so even with HTC's "improvements" it is not a quite a finger-friendly device. It is true, the iPhone set a golden standard in ease of use, intuitiveness and connectivity (iTunes etc) and we've all been spoilt by it.

Android came to the rescue of OEM's who were still relying on Symbian/WindowsMobile for smartphone OS and it has slowly but definently surpassed the iOS in many-ways. Since the HD2 had killer hardware, even though it is ancient compared to the iPhone4, it has equivalent hardware and that same hardware has actually been passed unto all other HTC phones (excluding the earlier Android models).

And since that hardware is now the standard, it is still within the current-gen and is recycled on upcoming WP7 phones. So it is actually very easy to port Android/HTC Sense.com/WP7 to the HD2, talk about a long lifetime!

And this is the strength with HTC's current offerings: they offer you something better than everything out there and wait for the competition to catch-up, meanwhile developers take advantage of this. For instance have a look at the HTC Tilt(Kaiser), Touch Pro(Raphael) and Dream(G1)... old hardware running new software!

I really doubt the N9 will use N900's internals, so it will take a long time for developers to make a "perfect" port of MeeGo/Maemo6 to it ... or none at all. And this is really upsetting for current owners that feel (are) like they're treated as beta-testers at a premium price.

woops, thread derailed?
lets get back on topic and help our member!