I agree with Capt'n Corrupt: people will be disappointed if they plan to get a tablet as a netbook replacement. My experience tells me that a tablet is best seen as a media device. I use my tablets (HP TC1100, Samsung Q1UP) everyday for media reading (newspapers, magazines, blogs, etc.) and media playing (video, Web TV, etc.). I am very happy with either device, but plan to buy an Android tablet that typically weights less than 1 lb (vs HP 3 lbs or Samsung 2 lbs) to give my arms a break. I use a 10" netbook when traveling (as a desktop on the go), or when I need to do extensive writing or number crunching. A tablet would be insufficient in those circumstances .

The Following User Says Thank You to ch88xy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by ch88xy View Post
...I use a 10" netbook when traveling (as a desktop on the go), or when I need to do extensive writing or number crunching. A tablet would be insufficient in those circumstances .
I think a USB keyboard or BT keyboard should be able to handle intensive typing, or, voice dictation, It has been doing very well for me, albeit 5 to 10 min writing. BTW, I am used to do dictation as in my profession, so I may be biased

bun

Bun, if you can do that kind of things, more power to you. As I mentioned in another thread, I use regular Firefox with multiple plug-ins (esp. language support for Japanese, French and German) everyday for my reading. No other browser can accomplish that, desktop or palmtop. That's why I need to hang on to my Win 7 devices (netbook for travel, the 2 tablets for at home reading) at the moment.

If you have not tried voice recognization for awhile, go and try it. 5 years ago, I gave up voice recognition because of the poor performance, I have to proof read it more wrong then rights. That was in my business, not a hobby. I am now using Google dictation as well voice search, I have only one word to say, OMG. Speedwise maybe subjective, but accuracy is %95 or higher. I am not sure that Google is doing a better job, or I get trained 5 more years since then , more here, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...744#post839744 thread #55, a little more here, BT keyboard with pics, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57773

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-10-13 at 23:55.

Originally Posted by cjsegninir View Post
Finally, I also like the ZT180, except for the BIG size (10.1"). I don't think such big screen will be comfortable for travelling (Which is one of my big needs). It offers Android 2.1, Cortex A8 processor 1GHZ (Same than iPad) and can be found for 190$ (Including shipping) in Ebay, or 250$ (with case and 8gb SD) directly with Zenithink.us.
Actually, the ZT180 runs on an ARM 11 1Ghz processor with 256MB RAM.

The Following User Says Thank You to tekplay For This Useful Post:
I do have two BT keyboards (sold one recently). Obviously at home there is no need for either of them. When travel, since I have to take my netbook with me (reason explained above), the seperate keyboard would simply add extra weight.

This is quite a +ve review/preview of ZT180, http://gadgetmix.com/mids/zenithink-...nning-android/. I also made up my mind 7" or smaller.... and I am holding a 10.1" netbook now, there is no way I can put that in any of my pocket. Well, form factor is very personal, though.

bun

Originally Posted by ch88xy View Post
I do have two BT keyboards (sold one recently). Obviously at home there is no need for either of them. When travel, since I have to take my netbook with me (reason explained above), the seperate keyboard would simply add extra weight.
In general, a BT keyboard or a hardware keyboard makes very little difference in functionality. However, a BT keyboard offers the flexibility of taking it out ONLY when needed. In light use, most vacation situations, palms graffiti and voice recognition filled my need more than adequate. Only if heavy duty use, I have to resort to my BT or USB keyboard

bun

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ in states for now
idk why people are hyped up about tablets all the sudden, back in 2003 windows xp tablets were thin and actually multitasked.I guess this is how apple manages to control peoples minds with advertesing fools lol

Originally Posted by bayernhan View Post
idk why people are hyped up about tablets all the sudden, back in 2003 windows xp tablets were thin and actually multitasked.I guess this is how apple manages to control peoples minds with advertesing fools lol
I humbly disagree. The difference between windows xp tablet and this android tablet is the app store! the 100,000 apps is the KEY difference!

What do you think apple tablet comes from nowhere suddenly selling in the millions? The dumb apple app store!

What do you think Nokia has been doing business for years, suddenly 'cram' up the ovi store?

What do you think amazon, a successful online retailer out of the blue is thinking to set up his OWN android app store?

What propels Google's Android to boost his smartphone market from 1.7% to become 18% in 12 month?

What do you think why other than Apple and Nokia, everybody is making Android phones? (Well, HP is still on the fence because his palm stuff... I think HP is going to yield, sooner or later )

They all looking at the app store

You may disagree with everything apple has done, I personally think, apple's app store has changed the way how software gets its way into the gadget. And software makes hardware or hardware carries software has since become a chicken and egg situation. I gave the credit to, reluctantly, apple inc.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-10-14 at 01:32.

Tags
droid tablet, wits tablet