Active Topics

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg
I'm really looking forward to this archos 70 7" tablet. I guess, I've already decided...

The Following User Says Thank You to mbo For This Useful Post:
So far the best one is the Samsung Tab, that ZTE (from looks) and the eLocity.

In fact, I think with that eLocity is a winner. But I see I may be wrong depending on the lack of 3G connectivity (comon we want to insert a SIM from the side), lack of GPS (seriously now), lack of multi-touch (its got capacitative but no multitouch ..what the), build quality (looks good so far, but looks can be decieving), Market (I don't think its got it, but can it be hacked onto it like the Archos/CMs?).

Other sites of improvement would've been to:
add a full SD instead of microSD
increase the space of the hispeed flash from 4Gb to 8Gb (which is barely decent)
increase RAM to 1Gb (because this is the bottleneck)
increase screen to a better quality (colours, viewing angles, brightness, less glossy, transparency in sun) = go with a good TFT
increase screen to 9" with minimal besel and increase resolution from 800x480 to 1024x600
add in host mode with that full USB slot (connect a keboard)
they should've designed two latches that reveal the ports on the sides to act as a kickstand

wow, them Chinese really know how to krapify a great device (or should I say beautify a peice of sh*t)

Last edited by Kangal; 2010-10-13 at 12:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post

In fact, I think with that eLocity is a winner. But I see I may be wrong depending on the lack of 3G connectivity (comon we want to insert a SIM from the side), lack of GPS (seriously now), lack of multi-touch (its got capacitative but no multitouch ..what the), build quality (looks good so far, but looks can be decieving), Market (I don't think its got it, but can it be hacked onto it like the Archos/CMs?).
Apparently, 3G is indeed dropped from the first version so that it can get to market in US faster. The main advantage of the eLocity is Tegra II, HDMI port - suitability as a TV adjunct. If you don't intend to hook it up to a TV frequently, you'll want something else I think. Samsung Tab has what you mentioned, but not a HDMI port.

No official Android Market. I am suspecting that it might be a device that supports Amazon's competing Android app store instead.
But the most important bit (in this forum anyway) is that the company has said it will open source its UI software. That makes it most interesting.

Only time will tell for sure.

Last edited by SD69; 2010-10-13 at 14:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
wow, them Chinese really know how to krapify a great device (or should I say beautify a peice of sh*t)
Easy with the sweeping generalizations, mate. I know many extremely smart, exceptionally talented Chinese individuals.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
All these terrible tablets with ARM11 processors, why do people keep posting them and expect to be taken seriously? I'm pretty sure most people on this forum were done with those back in 2008, after the N810 came out and would like to move on.

And as for people being "ambitious" and wanting to port Ubuntu and MeeGo to these things, you're going to run up into a hard, hard wall if these companies aren't competent in complying with the GPL or supplying any binary blobs they may have accumulated on the device. You'll also be extra stuck if they don't play along and keep them in sync with whatever MeeGo or Ubuntu are using (X11, Kernel.)

Just to sour things a bit

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 113 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I'm more or less in the same position than you. I want to get a Tablet to see if it replaces my netbook. and I want all the goodies for less $$$ (Who doesn't?)

On the cheap side, I like SmartQ V7 (200$), Herotab G701 (180$) and Witstech A81E (200$). The three are 7" resistive and Android 2.x. I like the Android/ubuntu dual boot and HDMI on the first, the G-sensor, 800MHZ CPU and HDMI on the second and CPU and 2.2 (Flash 10.1!) on the third.
On the not-so-cheap side, I like Archos 70 IT (350$) and eLocity A7 (370$). Both are 7" capacitive with Android 2.2 and 3D graphics. I like the 250GB on the first and the Tegra CPU on the second.

Today, I'm inclined on the cheap side, but I don't know which one to choose (Maybe the Herotab...). But I wonder if it would be better to throw some more money and get a better one to last longer (I'm inclined on the Archos).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjsegninir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by cjsegninir View Post
I'm more or less in the same position than you. I want to get a Tablet to see if it replaces my netbook. and I want all the goodies for less $$$ (Who doesn't?)

On the cheap side, I like SmartQ V7 (200$), Herotab G701 (180$) and Witstech A81E (200$). The three are 7" resistive and Android 2.x. I like the Android/ubuntu dual boot and HDMI on the first, the G-sensor, 800MHZ CPU and HDMI on the second and CPU and 2.2 (Flash 10.1!) on the third.
On the not-so-cheap side, I like Archos 70 IT (350$) and eLocity A7 (370$). Both are 7" capacitive with Android 2.2 and 3D graphics. I like the 250GB on the first and the Tegra CPU on the second.

Today, I'm inclined on the cheap side, but I don't know which one to choose (Maybe the Herotab...). But I wonder if it would be better to throw some more money and get a better one to last longer (I'm inclined on the Archos).
Wow, I have NOT seen somebody can summarize any better than this. Thank you. One catch though, and a big one, most of these are not ready. If they are not ready, they should be looked at differently, very differently. For example, the eLocity A7 is to be delivery, and I think one of those you mentioned is only 2.1 and 2.2 is coming. 2.2 is NOT easy. Even a81e(wits) has 2.2 is only the recent batch and even last night, looking at the mp4nation forum, people still having 'mild' video problems. In a nutshell, 1.5, 1.6 are shipping, 2.2 is a totally different ball game. I am so pleased that our nitdroid is running........................................... ..........., you bet, 2.2, thank you nitdroid team!

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-10-13 at 19:41.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Something tells me that those looking to fully replace their netbooks will be sorely disappointed. I think these devices are better positioned for casual use, and may replace 80% of the tasks you use your netbook for, but not the remaining crucial 20%.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Relook my own post, I think shopping for android 2.2 should better wait for a couple month, I think the current situations is still pretty murky/chaotic... yah, I know, I know, I placed an order... to looking for 2.2 run right out of the box may be over expectation. Not to mention android tablet, even on the smartphone side, 2.2 is NOT yet common, some of the smartphone, even today are waiting for the mercy of the carrier to dripple down the froyo.

bun

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
One catch though, and a big one, most of these are not ready. If they are not ready, they should be looked at differently, very differently.
You're very right my friend. And that is one of the big uncertainties for me. The first three are already proved and many forums around have the workarounds, patches and all that. While the last two are still to go out (it reminds me certain beta testing we were subject to recently...)

All the cheap tablets I'm looking are Android 2.1 (One offers 2.2, but it is true they have many bugs), which is not so bad, but we will end with the same no-flash-10.1 problem we have in our beloved N900's.

Finally, I also like the ZT180, except for the BIG size (10.1"). I don't think such big screen will be comfortable for travelling (Which is one of my big needs). It offers Android 2.1, Cortex A8 processor 1GHZ (Same than iPad) and can be found for 190$ (Including shipping) in Ebay, or 250$ (with case and 8gb SD) directly with Zenithink.us.

The Following User Says Thank You to cjsegninir For This Useful Post:

Tags
droid tablet, wits tablet