Active Topics

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
are you sure you're not thinking of lakes?

hi there , even i have seemed to mess up my baby with a little water spillage.it was fresh water . I've kept it in rice for over a day now. I tried turning it on but no go. There seems to be no signs of life . The thing that worries me is that i didnt do anything the night that this unfortunate event occured .I opened up the battery cover and wiped out any signs of water streaks inside but it didnt seem that wet . So i put the battery back and tried starting it , but it wouldnt. I left it like that with the battery in it overnight and the next day about noon i did the rice thing after reading these posts. I have 2 questions though ..
1 . Does my phone stand a chance of making it after a couple of more days in a rice bag ?
2. Is it possible that any part in the phone could be replaced to fix it ?

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Just a sidenote, the (salt or dirty) water messes up the battery first (short circuits it), then the buttons where the dirt prevents contact. Also the camera is not waterproof? Speakers and mic are also very sensitive to debris and water.

@vmayur_23: Let the phone dry out in the rice, the few days should be enough. If you can find something dryer, use that? There are many things that can go wrong with water, and the phone needs maybe only one thing malfunctioning to not function. Also, something can be broke internally - the water caused something to malfunction and that malfunction broke something else.
The phone is a very complex device, it usually is cheaper to replace it completely than diagnose and replace parts of it. Battery, SIM card and memory card are the only salvageable parts, maybe you can keep the external shell as replace parts for the new phone.

http://ezinearticles.com/?10-Simple-...Wet!&id=455630

http://www.helium.com/items/631539-h...er-it-gets-wet

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mergo, Italy
This thread may be useful
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=49887

I don't think that rice is a good solution, in these cases clean and dry as fast as possible is a must.

I've kept the phone in rice for sometime now ...might probly keep it there for the next 4-5days ..I would also like to try another battery just incase mine's gone bad .. till then will try to find someone with a N900 ..coz where i live i havent seen anyone use a N900..If anyone from Mumbai here reads this post pls help me out ..i would just need to try out a working battery to test my phone one last time if nothing else works ...shoutout to anyone from Mumbai here pls send me a pm..thanks will post back in 4-5 days.

Originally Posted by vmayur_23 View Post
I've kept the phone in rice for sometime now ...might probly keep it there for the next 4-5days ..I would also like to try another battery just incase mine's gone bad .. till then will try to find someone with a N900 ..coz where i live i havent seen anyone use a N900..If anyone from Mumbai here reads this post pls help me out ..i would just need to try out a working battery to test my phone one last time if nothing else works ...shoutout to anyone from Mumbai here pls send me a pm..thanks will post back in 4-5 days.
Nokia 5800 uses the same battery and is far more common than the N900

Alright guys ..so nothing worked for me tried every trick posted on here . Finally approached the nokia care guys. They were courteous enough to check if anything could be done to salvage the phone even after all the water damage.After 2 days of waiting ..they finally called up. It seems the motherboard has shorted.Asked if anything can be done or if the motherboard could be replaced,they say they cant do that as the IMEI no. would change. Heartbroken!! ..don't know what to do.It didn't have any of the known issues like a loose usb port or anything.It was PERFECT!.I took really good care of it . Its been seven months this 15th that i got the phone and there wasnt a single scratch on the phone .I never flashed it out of fear of bricking it. I never let any of my friends mess with it. Always kept it safely in my bag everytime i went out on a crowded street out of fear of it getting robbed.I can't digest the fact that the phone is dead coz of my clumsiness. Thanks u guys for all ur support .This is a really awesome phone with a really awesome community backing it. If i had the money i would get a new one right away but alas !
Hope to be back here soon .

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovakia/Bratislava
murphy laws do work unfortunately, I bet if you would get more relaxed about your device, this would not happen, sorry for your loss.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Mumbai, India
Originally Posted by vmayur_23 View Post
Alright guys ..so nothing worked for me tried every trick posted on here . Finally approached the nokia care guys. They were courteous enough to check if anything could be done to salvage the phone even after all the water damage.After 2 days of waiting ..they finally called up. It seems the motherboard has shorted.Asked if anything can be done or if the motherboard could be replaced,they say they cant do that as the IMEI no. would change. Heartbroken!! ..don't know what to do.It didn't have any of the known issues like a loose usb port or anything.It was PERFECT!.I took really good care of it . Its been seven months this 15th that i got the phone and there wasnt a single scratch on the phone .I never flashed it out of fear of bricking it. I never let any of my friends mess with it. Always kept it safely in my bag everytime i went out on a crowded street out of fear of it getting robbed.I can't digest the fact that the phone is dead coz of my clumsiness. Thanks u guys for all ur support .This is a really awesome phone with a really awesome community backing it. If i had the money i would get a new one right away but alas !
Hope to be back here soon .
Hey Buddy I have same problem with my N900. Nokia Care people said that it's CPU is gon and you know how it feels when you hear that "it can't be repaired." Anyways if you find any solution then PLEASE tell me.... I miss my N900 too.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 483 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Number one N900 water damage solution:

Not getting it wet...

fAircrack (Aircrack GUI): Point-and-click pwnage for your N900
Now with John the Ripper integration

Last edited by FRuMMaGe; 2011-02-11 at 20:36.