Active Topics

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Because we all know that great hardware specs is the key to gaining large market/mindshare and customers satisfaction?
Sure, like the iPhone with its whopping 1% market share. I think someone said that connecting people is what really matters, and technology doesn't matter - not really, it's what you do with it. I don't remember who exactly, but I think it is one of the top sellers with 40% market share

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
Sure, like the iPhone with its whopping 1% market share. I think someone said that connecting people is what really matters, and technology doesn't matter - not really, it's what you do with it. I don't remember who exactly, but I think it is one of the top sellers with 40% market share
In all fairness, he stated: "large marketshare/mindshare and customer satisfaction." Your rebut is directed at a different subject.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
In all fairness, he stated: "large marketshare/mindshare and customer satisfaction." Your rebut is directed at a different subject.
You need to redefine large and/or market share for that to be fair.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You need to redefine large and/or market share for that to be fair.
Larger than 1%... or whatever the N900 ended up with.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Larger than 1%... or whatever the N900 ended up with.
Nokia is much more than the N900. The N900 wasn't even meant to "connect people", but was the first mobile computer and a geek device for hackers.

But it is not important anyway. What's important (hardly but somewhat) is that it's obvious that Windows Mobile 7 will be a flop, competing head on with google, bada and Symbian^3/4. It will probably sell some in the US market, but that is just about all. I had the impression that it was more business oriented, but it is not, it is meant for the general public and is dead boring and locked down.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
The Dell Venue is the one for me. It is clearly inspired by what was the coolest PDA of its time, the Sharp Zaurus 5500.
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-SL-5500-.../dp/B000063D6E

I loved that keyboard, I have never typed so fast and so accurately on anything else.

Nokia is much more than the N900. The N900 wasn't even meant to "connect people", but was the first mobile computer and a geek device for hackers.
But while I'm here, I'm only going to talk about the N900... I think that's easy to understand.

It's mostly about only Maemo 5 phone around these parts. And to continue with what you are somehow overlooking... despite having the best specs (when it was announced) it sure as hell didn't gain as much share as even the lowly iPhone.

Thus, what ysss had stated earlier still stands...

Originally Posted by ysss
Because we all know that great hardware specs is the key to gaining large market/mindshare and customers satisfaction?
But it is not important anyway.
Actually, it somewhat is. If not specs, if not hardware, if not even the OS... then what? I'm willing to bet "applications"...

What's important (hardly but somewhat) is that it's obvious that Windows Mobile 7 will be a flop, competing head on with google, bada and Symbian^3/4.
Time will tell. When Maemo 5 came out, people said it would flop.

It will probably sell some in the US market, but that is just about all. I had the impression that it was more business oriented, but it is not, it is meant for the general public and is dead boring and locked down.
Microsoft seems to be doing the "We can do Apple things too" type of stuff... let's see how that fares for them. While we're waiting... let's see how MeeGo does too.

Wide open doesn't seem to sell all that well either. OpenMoko, Maemo... hmm.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Microsoft seems to be doing the "We can do Apple things too" type of stuff... let's see how that fares for them. While we're waiting... let's see how MeeGo does too.
Indeed, and they'll probably bring all the force they can to bear and try to shove their vision down our throats.

Wide open doesn't seem to sell all that well either. OpenMoko, Maemo... hmm.
Wide open is, as a whole, irrelevant. You can be totally wide open, however, and still have a good user experience. And really, that's all I ask. Certainly, Apple and Microsoft are hard at work fighting against that.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Wide open is, as a whole, irrelevant. You can be totally wide open, however, and still have a good user experience. And really, that's all I ask. Certainly, Apple and Microsoft are hard at work fighting against that.
I said absolutely nothing about user experience.

I said "wide open doesn't sell well" - it just hasn't on handhelds yet. I find the user experience on open systems - while sometimes maddening - better in a lot of instances albeit varied in some cases unnecessarily.

The UX on the WP7 is honestly looking to be quite good. That and a tie-in into the ever popular XBOX Live platform. That might sell a lot of units alone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I said absolutely nothing about user experience.

I said "wide open doesn't sell well" - it just hasn't on handhelds yet. I find the user experience on open systems - while sometimes maddening - better in a lot of instances albeit varied in some cases unnecessarily.
Which is why I said being open was irrelevant, but not mutually exclusive with the end user experience. It is not a selling point to the vast majority of users.

The way you reiterate this point makes it sound like being wide open is bad.

The UX on the WP7 is honestly looking to be quite good. That and a tie-in into the ever popular XBOX Live platform. That might sell a lot of units alone.
Certainly. However if you are Microsoft then open is your enemy. I'm not too worried about MS in the market, however, as the competition is fierce. I only shudder at the thought of our only choices being locked down Android devices, iOS devices, and WP7 devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:

Tags
bestthreadever, fanboys unite, loser tech