Active Topics

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Barcelona
For those who wanna know:

* 1.1 Schedule
* Feature Complete - 25 Aug - DONE.
* Code Freeze -
* 23 Sep - today - Bug cut-off
* 27 Sep - Monday - Critical bug cut-off
* 29 Sep - Branch 1.1. Trunk re-opens on 1.2. [Please note: PRC out 1st week of Oct]
* 28 Sept - 18 Oct - Bug-CCB period
* 18 Oct - Final critical fixes.
* 19 Oct - Final RC.
* Final Release - 27 Oct

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to damnshock For This Useful Post:
Tried it yesterday, useless then and it looks like this is the same version.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Swiss
It's nice! its will be a final version for the Nokia N900 Meego at the end of
months?

Please share a vidéo presentation of Meego 1.1 for N900 or pictures!

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
One thing to keep in mind:

What is getting released in end of October is a platform. This platform has reference applications and such and fairly good N900 support, but it's probably not enough for most end-users.

I'd like to motivate people to take this platform and base on top of it shape it into something they'd like for their phone. Even backporting things from 1.2. Things you could do would be adding MP3 codecs, community Qt applications, etc. It's free to modify and hack and even to publish your own versions of online (some of the closed bits only if you do it on a non-commercial basis, NeoPwn, I'm looking at you).

Next version of MeeGo is in 6 months after 1.1 release and you can do exciting things early on if you organise yourself like the community SSU guys. Even kernel improvements from 1.2 can be used in 1.1 as we're not upgrading the kernel, likely.

There will be platform bug fixes coming out for 1.1 but no new features after release date.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2010-10-03 at 14:11.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
One thing to keep in mind:

What is getting released in end of October is a platform. This platform has reference applications and such and fairly good N900 support, but it's probably not enough for most end-users.

I'd like to motivate people to take this platform and base on top of it shape it into something they'd like for their phone. Even backporting things from 1.2. Things you could do would be adding MP3 codecs, community Qt applications, etc. It's free to modify and hack and even to publish your own versions of online (some of the closed bits only if you do it on a non-commercial basis, NeoPwn, I'm looking at you).

Next version of MeeGo is in 6 months after 1.1 release and you can do exciting things early on if you organise yourself like the community SSU guys. Even kernel improvements from 1.2 can be used in 1.1 as we're not upgrading the kernel, likely.
For example, one thing important for end users that is not supported in this release is 3G browsing...

The Following User Says Thank You to damnshock For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by damnshock View Post
For example, one thing important for end users that is not supported in this release is 3G browsing...
Once the UI exists in MeeGo 1.2 for this, it should be trivial to backport. The problem is that the UI doesn't exist for setting up APN and that junk, but is coming for sure (The Intel guys simply didn't have a working modem on their Aava device)
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Airtux View Post
It's nice! its will be a final version for the Nokia N900 Meego at the end of
months?

Please share a vidéo presentation of Meego 1.1 for N900 or pictures!
No. And phone support works, but only if you like to make phone calls via speakerphone.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
No. And phone support works, but only if you like to make phone calls via speakerphone.
And this only because we don't have a policy daemon setting up audio routing

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Once the UI exists in MeeGo 1.2 for this, it should be trivial to backport. The problem is that the UI doesn't exist for setting up APN and that junk, but is coming for sure (The Intel guys simply didn't have a working modem on their Aava device)
well as said it's a UI issue so I would like to assume that it still can be set to some other way like command line am I right? Could I know how?

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Holland
I'd like to motivate people to take this platform and base on top of it shape it into something they'd like for their phone. Even backporting things from 1.2. Things you could do would be adding MP3 codecs, community Qt applications, etc.
Since Qt is cross-platform, porting Qt apps from N900 (PR1.2) tot MeeGo shouldn't be very troublesome I think?
Apart from different system variables/standards maybe?

It's probably not that easy