Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by edcarsky View Post
the problem now, everytime i reboot my device, its turns back into nameserver 192.168.1.1 (2x again) , what shall i do to make it fix into 1 nameserver.
Having the same nameserver listed twice really shouldn't affect its working at all. The nameservers listed are provided by your DHCP server - which is mostly likely your router - so you can check on there to see what they are set to.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Saudi Arabia
Originally Posted by sherief View Post
im sorry i dont know if its possible or no to put my mobile no. , but i ask u my friend in Saudia arabia to tell me , i need it badly

sherief 0561198198
sorry my friend, i was too much away lately, i am concentrating with NITDroid OS on N900 a lot, as in A LOT!!!

in regards of your problem, i didnt solve it permanently, everytime i am connecting my wifi at home i always removing manually by doing below syntax:

you have to be in root (as always), then type the following.

leafpad /var/run/resolv.conf.wlan0

you should have also leafpad editor (its easy to use it, dont forget to save when you are done removing the reduntant server) then exit.

NOTE: this is temporarily only once you've connected, once you DC your connection, and tried to connect again, you have to do the same procedure.

AS OF NOW, i dont have a good answer to remove this permantly.

i found more accurate wifi connection in NITDroid, but still (this OS are on-going dev),

so goodluck mate

Last edited by edcarsky; 2010-10-02 at 13:20.

Are you using custom or stock kernel?
I have the same problem, but lately I cannot use my home connection even after doing the restart router, phone etc.
My phone detects and connects to my wifi but I can`t open any website.

Something interesting happened a few weeks ago my internet stopped working so I contacted my ISP and they told me to change my DNS on my pc. My internet worked after doing that so logically I changed the DNS address on the n900, it worked but then I started having problems with accessing the internet so I had to restart phone, reset settings, restart router..etc just to get to use the internet. But all of these methods stopped working after I OCed my phone to 900mhz. I think its because of the kernel hence the kernel question.

I`ll try edcarsky`s method and reply here, if it doesnt work im desinstaling the custom kernel and trying with the stock kernel.

Thanks,

Originally Posted by confusedfella View Post
Are you using custom or stock kernel?
I have the same problem, but lately I cannot use my home connection even after doing the restart router, phone etc.
My phone detects and connects to my wifi but I can`t open any website.

Something interesting happened a few weeks ago my internet stopped working so I contacted my ISP and they told me to change my DNS on my pc. My internet worked after doing that so logically I changed the DNS address on the n900, it worked but then I started having problems with accessing the internet so I had to restart phone, reset settings, restart router..etc just to get to use the internet. But all of these methods stopped working after I OCed my phone to 900mhz. I think its because of the kernel hence the kernel question.

I`ll try edcarsky`s method and reply here, if it doesnt work im desinstaling the custom kernel and trying with the stock kernel.

Thanks,
sorry my friend for delayed respond, i was totally shift on NITdroid forum for awhile now.

in regards of your inquiry, i am not totally sure how it work, what i did only everytime i used my connection at home, i got 2 DNS, so in order to get connected my connection, i have to remove it manually by using this command: leafpad /var/run/resolv.conf.wlan0 (of course you have to installed leafpad editor via apps manager).

my suggestion, if you want to use only internet using your device, you can use alternative OS like Android on N900

everytime im at home, i use NITDroid instead, so i wont bother to reconfigure things my DNS. Android on N900 gave me a better solution in this problem.

feel free to join and try NITDroid on your device, and see the difference

Last edited by edcarsky; 2010-10-02 at 13:22.

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Having the same nameserver listed twice really shouldn't affect its working at all. The nameservers listed are provided by your DHCP server - which is mostly likely your router - so you can check on there to see what they are set to.
how? i've been trying to change the settings and still the twice DNS makes me confused and feel annoys.

i just observed that, when i used NITDroid (Android on N900) using my home connections, the DNS not showing twice, and the NITDroid successfully browsing the internet even without reconfiguration thing, unlike when i use Maemo, i need to reconfigure the DNS to be able to use internet, over and over again .

any advise?

Last edited by edcarsky; 2010-10-02 at 13:23.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by edcarsky View Post
i need to reconfigure the DNS to be able to use internet, over and over again .

any advise?
You could always disable the the auto retrieve IP & DNS and enter them manually. Just use the same values as the auto retrieved ones you're getting currently.

I bought n900 today,but unable to connect wifi at my home.pls. guide esp. if anyone in saudi arabia?

Originally Posted by brill View Post
I bought n900 today,but unable to connect wifi at my home.pls. guide esp. if anyone in saudi arabia?
what exactly is the issue?

1- u cant see wifi device in the select connection box ?

2 or u can see but it refuses to connect?

3 or u can connect but cannot browse any website?

Answer to Number 1:
U probably have a laptop connected to same wifi device and it is working? is it?

If your laptop net is working over wifi then its an issue with N900..

Answer to Number 2:
Make sure your password is correct

Answer to Number 3:
u need to give Manual ip to your phone. This is a fix to a bug in N900.

GOTO settings>internet connection>connections>

now select your wifi connection and click edit. then click next and next and next and then u will see "advanced".. now click "ip addresses. now uncheck auto-retrieve ip address..the boxes below will be enabled

delete all 0.0.0.0 in all boxes.
example for filling boxes is

fil in ip address = 192.168.1.3 or 192.168.1.4 (check in ur router which ip is given to your N900 by wifi device.If you are on STC modem i think it will be 192.168.1.3 or try 4 or 5.

Fill subnet mask = 255.255.255.0

Default gateway = 192.168.1.1 for STC i think and for GO is 192.168.15.1

Primary DNS = 8.8.8.8 ( this is Google DNS .works)
Secondary DNS = 8.8.4.4 ( this is also google DNS works)

Then Save

now u can browse.

I have this problem too. Im using Airtel with a Linksys router. My n900 detects and connects to the wifi but I still can't browse the net.

I deleted the connection, restarted the phone and connected again after which it started working. And now after 1 day, it's back to unable to browse the internet.
Personal IP address shows the address as : wlan0 192.168.1.100

entering ifconfig on x terminal gave this result:

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:414 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:414 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes: 18867 (18.4 KiB) TX bytes:18867 (18.4 KiB)

phonet0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 15-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MTU:4000 Metric:1
RX packets:3850 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:3655 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:513340 (501.3 KiB) TX bytes:259582 (253.4 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr E0:A6:70:A0:EF:1D
inet addr:192.168.1.100 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:102 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:122 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:11654 (11.3 KiB) TX bytes:22872 (22.3 KiB)

wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-1F-DF-9B-37-A3-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)0

Last edited by shad0wprince; 2011-01-22 at 18:54.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ India
hi, i am facing some what a similar problem here. my hostel wifi network is not getting connected. n900 detects the signal,but wen i try to connect it blinks for a while and then says network error. my modem model is [BSNL VMC AN1020-21] any idea of wat can be done or wats d problem??anybody??