Active Topics

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Well, think about it, how is a video that's stopped playing different than a flash ad? From a code standpoint? Both are pieces of flash programming embedded in a website. I would think a flash video playing would suck battery very roughly, meanwhile flash video paused/ended would suck battery ~ the same as a lightly-animated flash ad would. I honestly don't know, but to me it seems like it would work the same. The video might actually suck more power, if it's like most flash videos on websites nowadays, which have a little cycling menu of related videos for you to click on that pops up after the video plays.

BatteryGraph does show CPU activity. It's vague, and it's in purple bars, so it doesn't log WHAT was using the CPU, but it is something. Other than that, I suppose you could set up something to log the output of top, HTop, or some other process viewer.... *Shrug* Not my area of specialty.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
I have just had a look at my battery stats, and my battery does not seem to have been adversly affected by swappolube. certainly low usage seems fine.

either you had a few things open which was hitting swap and cpu, like auto updating web pages or an app which keeps raiisng notifications, and thus raising the screen brightness.
as with bum programs, is it possible my email retrieval or 3g usage has some sort of battery debilitating loop bug? my email is supposed to update every 5 minutes but its more like every 5 hours, or when I restart my phone... also, im using 3g right now in class (as my wifi wouldnt load any pages after claiming to be connected successfully to the school wifi, and my phone is getting very hot... much hotter than I rememeber with wifi usage, is this normal?)

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
look really bizarre.
even if your cpu isn't very high something destroys your battery.
but i really don't know whats going on

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Try this:

2am: Disconnect my phone from the charger and bring it to bed with me...

615:630: alarm was going off... (yea, not much sleep, rough)

730ish: switch from 2.5 to 3g to check 3 clicks worth of websites...

7.:50: CLOSE THE freaking websites

820am: leave my phone in my locker with 3 web pages that were loaded, sitting in the background.

1030am: Check your battery,
Tasks running in the background eat some CPU, RAM and of course battery too. And the web is a very battery resource hog. This may be due to bad code, browser still polling data from 3G, flash ads, aliens etc..but either way it doesn't require much effort to close the tasks after you're finished with them.

Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
Try this:

Tasks running in the background eat some CPU, RAM and of course battery too. And the web is a very battery resource hog. This may be due to bad code, browser still polling data from 3G, flash ads, aliens etc..but either way it doesn't require much effort to close the tasks after you're finished with them.
Haha 7:50... nice...

But if you see my second posted screenshot, the whole time that my battery was getting 'owned' cpu activity was next to nothing... how does one explain that? lots of swap (ram?) going on, with next to no cpu... or, battery graph is full of $hit?

do you often leave your phone in that locker?

coverage may be severely restricted in a metal box

and I am not sure you are showing CPU usage in that graph. At least it doesn't show in the same way it shows on my phone

The Following User Says Thank You to yorg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by yorg View Post
do you often leave your phone in that locker?

coverage may be severely restricted in a metal box

and I am not sure you are showing CPU usage in that graph. At least it doesn't show in the same way it shows on my phone
yes, often. I will check my reception tomorrow and see what happens. less reception = more battery power spent to 'make ends meet', right?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29629961@N03/5031093278/

When I enabled cpu on batterygraph, this is what showed up, the purple bar graph style

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
as with bum programs, is it possible my email retrieval or 3g usage has some sort of battery debilitating loop bug? my email is supposed to update every 5 minutes but its more like every 5 hours, or when I restart my phone... also, im using 3g right now in class (as my wifi wouldnt load any pages after claiming to be connected successfully to the school wifi, and my phone is getting very hot... much hotter than I rememeber with wifi usage, is this normal?)
How was your phone signal? At work, my battery life varies depending on which site I'm at. One site has a excellent signal, a second has no signal, and battery and phone are fine. A third site has a very marginal signal, and the phone just about kills itself holding onto the signal, getting very warm, and munching though the battery in the process.

One other thign about the email. have you installed the modst fixes kicking around in these forums, that improved my email performance no end.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

hmmm if you locked your phone in there in the past and didn't have this issue then it probably isn't that

you do have some CPU usage there. If the phone maintained a low signal 3g connection live for 4 hours, then that is normal

imaging talking on the phone for 4 hours in a place with bad 3g reception, this is what your phone was doing

i don't think you should worry about it. Unless you absolutely need your phone to be connected on the net, you will be much better off disconnecting from the internet and switching back to 2g when you leave it in the locker.

Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
How was your phone signal? At work, my battery life varies depending on which site I'm at. One site has a excellent signal, a second has no signal, and battery and phone are fine. A third site has a very marginal signal, and the phone just about kills itself holding onto the signal, getting very warm, and munching though the battery in the process.

One other thign about the email. have you installed the modst fixes kicking around in these forums, that improved my email performance no end.
Not normal the part of the phone getting warmer. While on road signal going from 3.5g to 2g no connection like every 10 minutes and I haven`t witnessed the battery getting worm.

I have read that the swappolube can coz the batter drain. Its not the swappolube, with it I have better battrery live last charge of the phone was ~24 hours ago. Currently I have 70% Battery.