Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by yorg View Post
bada will win all
Only if they get on Verizon's BING deal with Microsoft. Then they'll finally have the Android-killer:

BADA-BING

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your sister's armpits!

...wait, are we having a discussion or a ranking contest? Sorry if I got confused, there.
here were a discussion before you started acting stupid.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
using Symbian and/or Maemo is like warming yourself in Mammoth stool. Both are pretty much the same, but one is sterile, and the other one will get you a nasty disease.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think you're missing a
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Maybe there's another alternative...

*cough* MeeGo *cough*
Because Google's software represents only a short-term solution that will lead to bigger quandaries down the line, says

*cough* Maemo *cough*

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
*cough* Maemo *cough*
so if the name changes, harmattan isn't anymore maemo? care to be more spesific in which point it stopped being maemo and started being meego?

(the upgrade path from m5 to m6 had smaller probability to succeed than getting meego to n900 atm)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Google does aim for Android to be the "Windows" of the mobile world, as that puts them in a position for providing services equal to MS.
Yeah, if wishes were fishes... no one is going to nearly monopolise the market like MS managed, not Google, not Apple and not Nokia either.

The only "flashy Ovi devices" out there will be Nokia's.
Unless they screw something up badly, MeeGo compliance means everyone else's MeeGo devices are potential Ovi customers too.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
so if the name changes, harmattan isn't anymore maemo? care to be more spesific in which point it stopped being maemo and started being meego?
February 16th 2010

The Following User Says Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Personally I think he was spot on, if a little short of the mark. The concept of a company nailing their colours to Android can also be to make profit, sell phones and get a brand going. A brand people want, because lets face it HTC have done it, Samsung have done it and Motorola were nearly done before Android came along.

Nokia might want to think about that as they continue to sit in their dark little places, silently playing with their many many phones and poor OS'. People, the ones with cash, the customers, want to spend money on cool stuff with apps, phone deals and hardware that works all the time. If Android works and it takes the heat away from a company who can then just make good hardware. Well then you get profit and your shareholders are happy, there is no customer back lash and you don't look like a failing mess of a company.

If that is a short term gain and long term loss then I think it is working for them. Maybe it is time for Nokia to pick one of the thigns they suck at, hardware or software and concentrate on that, because the N8 is pushed back for a better UI experience (youtube shows it to be sh*t) and the N900 sank. Not many of their high end phones are coming out the door with "Great" attached.

And now this morning there is an advert from 3 in the UK to win one of the "really exciting windows 7 phones", another OS for phone makers to buy into but one from a much larger company, MS, in terms of branding and customers. Very good news for customers, not very good for Nokia or it's shareholders. Afterall MS are all about the OS and learned the hard way (Vista, Winmo 6) what is good, they are not hardware manufacturers so that short term gain is looking all the brighter for those hardware makers out there who just do hardware.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Unless they screw something up badly, MeeGo compliance means everyone else's MeeGo devices are potential Ovi customers too.
Oh god what a horrible thought. People really want OVI as their app store?

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twigleaf1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Who benefited from commoditisation (ok, apart from MS)? Answer: you and I (as consumers) did, and more so if we don't run Windows.
I always wonder what would the state of hardware and software be if, say, OS/2 had it's way. Would hardware development be slower/more expensive ? Would being multiplatform be more important and tools more standardized if we did not have a single dominant MS/PS world ? Many things to ponder about over a beer

Tags
back it up sam, chair-throwing, change me, nokia's-balmer, show proof, trolling, video stream, we need diapers