Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I've been thinking a lot about the Tab (as though that needs to be said). One may go as far as proclaiming obsession -- though I plead a staunch denial at such blatherings. But I think I know why the I like, nigh, love the Tab (or the idea of it anyway) so much:

It seems to be the best example of a consumer-grade convergence device to date.

Don't get me wrong, there are PLENTY of devices that do what the Tab does, however the design decision that make up the Tab seem to be in such perfect harmony, its functionality so complete, and it's implementation so polished, that it stands alone among its competitors as the choicest of electronics.

Yes, the Galaxy Tab is like a larger Galaxy S, but that's a good thing. It finds the sweet spot in size and portability and simultaneously replaces so many devices -- casual camera, media player, phone, navigator, gaming unit, e-book reader, PIM device, email device, full web browsing device, video chat device, media centre remote, picture frame, alarm clock, etc -- and the android market ensures that there are many more uses still. But even out of the box, it should provide a very complete experience and put smiles on faces.

Although there's an extra step to rooting the device, I suppose effort is generally required in any customization and rooting is a simple one-click ordeal and thus quite a painless step. The beauty is that, as a tinkerer, I do not have to forgo the wonders of the Linux CLI, or even X on this device (I'm still hoping for a native X client)! The benefit is that we get the best of both worlds -- a worthy compromise for purchasing a 'somewhat closed' device.

Lastly, Android is a wonderfully evolving environment that has a some equally wonderful additions on the horizon. I'm really a fan of some of the design decisions that went into the OS even if they clash with tradition. It's comforting to know that even when Samsung has moved on to the next iteration of devices, the Tab will in all likelihood have community support and receive the benefit of the latest and greatest.

As a convergence device, the Tab, IMO is tops. Even at $599, considering the abundance of applications it potentially replaces and the general finesse of execution, it's a downright bargain, and will be a powerful addition to my arsenal. Sure, it's not perfect, and certainly not a perfect fit for everyones needs, but it's hard to complain about this most promising of devices.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
It looks as if the Tab will get be available for Black Friday (Nov 26, 2010) at the absolute latest. Something tells me it will go on sale before this, though.
http://www.youtube.com/v/NTtJrzMnyE4?fs=1&hl=en_US

In this video hands-on, you get to see a brief glimpse of the office suite, as well as the keyboard attachment:
http://www.youtube.com/v/IqBaHs73U7w?fs=1&hl=en_US

Things of interest:
- The e-book reader also has word lookup (very nice, but almost standard)
- The music player app looks very slick
- It shows animated transitions in the browser as well as to-good-to-be-true scrolling (methinks it may be fake)
- It shows the HDMI out dock in action
- It shows the car dock, and the faux-leather sleeve that likely comes with the device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Oh my! I was so silly not to take a closer look at the Samsung AllShare client featured on the Galaxy S/Tab! If you look closely at the video and pause at 00:24s mark, you can clearly see that the AllShare client has 3 options:

1) Play or download media from my phone on a player
2) Play or download media from a server on my phone
3) Play media from a server on a player, controlled by my phone

The third option is the interesting one. It implies that if you have a DLNA compliant server (DMS) setup and a DLNA compliant player (DMR), then you can use the Tab as a remote control to play the server contents on the big screen or home stereo!

Here's a link to the video again, in case you want to see for yourself.
http://www.samsungsupport.com/spstv/...cheduleId=2734

So here's a scenario: You have a home server tucked away in a closet that you've ripped your DVDs and CDs to. It has a whopping 2TB of movies and music. You feel like watching a movie with your lovely partner. You pick up your tab, open the AllShare application, select the third option, select the movie, then select your TV. Seamlessly, the movie starts playing on the TV! You get full control over the movie right from the Tab (play, stop, pause, seek, next, prev) in case you need to take a leak. Even better, you can set up a playlist to string together media!

Here's another scenario: You're going to be going on a trip. In bed, while reading an e-book, you think it would be nice to listen to that new album you got, and perhaps a favourite movie or two for the flight. You open the AllShare application, select option 2, find the album and two movies, select download. The download starts in the background and you get back to your book. In the morning, you're ready to go!
(Disclaimer: do dock the device before falling a sleep, as a night of transfers would seriously run down the battery)

Yet another scenario: You're at a friends house and want to bore them with pictures of your latest trip. Reluctantly they agree and then immediately regret the decision. You select the AllShare app, select the first option, select the unintersting pictures, select your friends TV. You are happy, your friends are bored! Another DLNA win!

I could go on, but you get the idea. It's not hard to see the benefit of connected devices, even just for media sharing. As a bonus, the DLNA spec is WIDELY adopted and the official site lists more than 8700 devices, and this certification does not include software! Add a Linux/OSX/Win PC in the mix, and there are tons of connectivity possibilities.

Truly a great out-of-box feature for this device, with a very nice interface.

For other devices, DLNA is well supported as well! Other android handsets/tablets can use AndRemote to make the devices act as DMCs. iOS apps can use an app called PlugPlayer for DLNA support. Even Maemo has LinuxMCE for DLNA support! Needless to say, desktop OSs have multiple projects supporting this spec as well.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ England
Thanks Capt'n Corrupt for another useful post.
I think I better start reading up about DLNA so I'm ready for action!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
A rarely discussed out-of-the-box talent of the Tab (and many more mobile devices with the correct software) is DLNA.
What can the tab share with? Any tv or just Samsung TVs? And presumably the tv would have to be wifi equipped correct? I was not even aware of tvs having wifi (am I stuck in the past?).

Originally Posted by noal View Post
Thanks Capt'n Corrupt for another useful post.
I think I better start reading up about DLNA so I'm ready for action!
Thanks!

I'm with you, this tech is news to me, I will think about my home configuration, as I can immediately see the benefit of such a setup. Currently, most of my media is run over a media centre PC. But as the computer has very little storage, I actually transfer it to the MCPC via FTP, then go to the PC and start playing the file. The same goes for music, or wanting to watch a flic in bed -- there's a lot of work that has to be done to get going. Having a system like this would GREATLY simplify the experience, and my GF (who's not a tech-head) would not have to rely on me for playing media -- she could easily do it herself!

The cool thing is that there are DLNA adapters that are designed to work with existing devices that don't have DLNA built in. For example you can get a DLNA receiver to drive your existing stereo, or a DLNA component to drive your existing TV/projector!

http://www.slashgear.com/htc-media-l...e-q4-15102500/

http://www.wirelessgoodness.com/2010...ce-on-the-fcc/ (a little digging shows that this a DLNA adapter)

My *only* hesitation in outfitting my home with a DLNA compliant TV is that it doesn't seem as though the spec accounts for 3D just yet. For all other uses, though DLNA is a boon.

speaking of using the tab to control and stream files on tv is there a logitech harmony android universal remote control app? Presumably there would need to be some form of hardware attachment to get it to work if there is. Would love to use the tab to replace my logitech harmony 1100. Think I read there was one for iphone/ipad.

Quite looking forward to the tab but a bit worried about the price. Will definitely be getting one for the wife (to save her from the temptation of buying an ipad). If sensibly priced may get one for myself but will probably test her first and also wait to see if HTC releases anything or if someone (other than Nokia preferably) releases a 7 inch meego tablet. Probably makes sense to have to different internet tablets in the house and probably two different operating systems so you can get the benefit of the two operating systems.

But I really fear from all the prices websites have been putting up that there is the risk that Samsung will totally get the pricing totally wrong.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
speaking of using the tab to control and stream files on tv is there a logitech harmony android universal remote control app? Presumably there would need to be some form of hardware attachment to get it to work if there is. Would love to use the tab to replace my logitech harmony 1100. Think I read there was one for iphone/ipad.
Woah! Good timing! Just yesterday the Logitech Harmony Remote App hit the market:
http://phandroid.com/2010/09/20/logi...tered-testers/

I hear ya regarding price. It will be interesting to see all of the different options on the market and their use-cases.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
The only problem with getting the Tab is I have a feeling there will be stuff coming from HTC and Motorola or Apple's revised iPad (if it's an option for you) right next year. Possibly even in Spring of 2011.

My thoughts are, if I buy a Tab this Holiday season, how badly will it be out of date next year by other Android competitors in terms of RAM and CPU speed? I understand that technology always advances and if you wait for the next big thing your always going be waiting. But there's gotta be some buffer between that and feeling like you really should have waited.

Edit: And looking at Android.. is Qik (maybe Fring) really all the video chat functions in Android? No video thru Google Talk? I know none in Skype.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-09-21 at 17:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy