Posts: 46 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Stanford University
awwaiid,

Yes, there'll be a simple utility that'll read in an old DNG and write out an improved one. I'm not sure if we'll make a package of it, or just put it up on the project website for download. (the utility can run on the N900, or in Windows, Linux, or OSX), since it'll only be used by a few people.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
@ETalvala, please publish the converting utility you mentioned. It wom't harm if you attach it here on the forum, also. Thanks

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by wotevah View Post
Given that an hour ago you appeared baffled that someone would dare believe an accelerometer could be used to measure distance, it is just not very likely that you are suddenly well-versed in such matters to make the above statements on its feasibility for this project.
actually me being baffled was only because of the fact that you still insist your idea is good. It will never work as well as other technological solutions for the problem.

and geneven, sorry but I don't like stupid people at all.the worst thing is when stupid people insist they have the greatest idea of all the times...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
and geneven, sorry but I don't like stupid people at all.the worst thing is when stupid people insist they have the greatest idea of all the times...
Even if he really was just as stupid as you depicted him (probably not true by a long shot), it's still (at least) as stupid and small-minded on your part as you accuse others of being to take the troglodyte approach you so fiercely embrace.

Geneven was probably trying to point out that that kind of attitude detracts attention from all the knowledge you have intellectually and draws it to all the lack thereof you display socially/emotionally.

By the way, the I-act-stupid-because-I-find-him-stupid lame excuse makes you sound like a 12-year-old. You might want to reconsider the way you treat people you consider to be wrong. It will probably significantly improve the way others treat you when you are (I assume you at least consider that possibility).

The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wotevah View Post
There's also the proximity sensor that could be used, I think.

One reason you might want to take a photo with the cover would be for a noise baseline or to map hot pixels. Some cameras can do that noise reduction automatically even: for exposures longer than a certain value, take a second identical one with the shutter closed and use that to subtract the noise from the first one.
Using proximity sensor as a shutter trigger is an excellent idea! With a tripod, this would be useful to take a photo without touching N900. With the tripod, the problem with accidentally triggering the proximity sensor is less likely. But OK, the touch button would work also with the tripod, maybe.

Of course that extra trigger would not remove the need for the self timer, if you want to take a photo of yourself sitting with your gf on a sofa, naked.

If developers are too stubborn to make a self timer, could there be a camera shutter button presser application which would just send "fake" dbus system messages after some settable delay?
If it is possible, this could be useful with all camera applications.

(Edit: Well, I found fcameratl. Thanks.)

Us, who have Mugen 2400 mAh battery with the back cover, need not to "open" the lens cover at all, because it is actually always open. There is a switch though, but it only gives the fake signal about lens cover being either open or closed. So I'd rather have that [QUIT] button there always and preferably would like to get rid of that warning window "[The lens cover appears shut....]" without doing otherwise meaningless switch with the fake lens cover. Fcamera already allows to take a photo although "the lens cover" is shut, I tried.

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ San Diego
Fcam is a cake job to use. The application has noticeably improved my overall image quality on my photos and I've tricked a few people into thinking they were DSLR photos.

@zimon - I don't like the idea of a proximity sensor trigger. It's spotty at best (when I tried to use it for to access open apps). The visual feedback of a on screen button I think makes more sense. There is certainly enough realestate.

I wouldn't call the developers stubborn, if they do not I think its simply because they have priorities for their research project and consumer features aren't necessarily the first priority. It'd be nice but it's their choice.

FCameraTL does look really cool. If you get the phone holder let us know how well it works or doesn't.

BTW, for your mugen battery, next to the camera when the battery case is taken off there is a sensor that detects white / gray that tells the camera when camera is open or not. Try maybe masking tape and maybe that will fool it. I'd also suggest white out, but who has that anymore.

Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
I wouldn't call the developers stubborn, if they do not I think its simply because they have priorities for their research project and consumer features aren't necessarily the first priority. It'd be nice but it's their choice.

FCameraTL does look really cool. If you get the phone holder let us know how well it works or doesn't.

BTW, for your mugen battery, next to the camera when the battery case is taken off there is a sensor that detects white / gray that tells the camera when camera is open or not. Try maybe masking tape and maybe that will fool it. I'd also suggest white out, but who has that anymore.
I didn't mean just fcamera developers, but almost all camera applications for N900 are missing a self timer. A small application which would make those fake (system dbus) shutter button presses would be useful for many.

I have had the holder for some time already. But without a self timer it has been useless .... until now. The holder works well with N900 after the modification mentioned on the DX web page.

I could as well keep the Mugen back cover's shutter switch open all the time, but I like to use shortcutd application for a shortcut to the Dashboard.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I didn't mean just fcamera developers, but almost all camera applications for N900 are missing a self timer. A small application which would make those fake (system dbus) shutter button presses would be useful for many.

I have had the holder for some time already. But without a self timer it has been useless .... until now. The holder works well with N900 after the modification mentioned on the DX web page.

I could as well keep the Mugen back cover's shutter switch open all the time, but I like to use shortcutd application for a shortcut to the Dashboard.
I agree. Certainly very useful. Did you have to modify the holder because of the battery? Is the stock N900 too thick as well? Would love to take a look at your modified photo if you don't mind sharing.

I didn't know they had a switch for it.

Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
I agree. Certainly very useful. Did you have to modify the holder because of the battery? Is the stock N900 too thick as well? Would love to take a look at your modified photo if you don't mind sharing.

I didn't know they had a switch for it.
The holder has to be modified because the upper claw is just little too wide to fit between the power button and the shutter button. It has to be made little thinner on the sides. No need to shorten the upper claw if the normal battery and back cover is used. For Mugen battery it is too short and the tip of the claw has to removed. I made exactly the mods which are in the photo there from the customer, so both removed the tip and made it thinner.