Active Topics

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
Simple cause I had to shut a few people up.
I just launch Easy Debian, they see a mouse pointer and a folders then they be like WTF! I say Yep. end of discussion.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
Can other phones multi-boot OS's? Surely a "phone" able to run Maemo, Ubuntu, Android (Nitdroid), DOSBox, Win95 etc etc is more a computer than a phone?
But hark! What do I see on my laptop/desktop PC, but a Cisco softphone! Surely, this is MORE than just a phone! It MUST be a "phone' able to run Windows, Linux, Ubuntu and many other computer OS's!

Seriously, you should stop TRYING to convince anyone that any piece of hardware is either a phone or a computer (or trying to limit them to ANY particular concept anyway). It's more about function than form--if you use it as a phone, it's a phone. If you use it as a computer, it's a computer. Despite how it's advertised (which is the great irony with Nokia constantly trying to convince us that this N900 thing is a computer-first... I continue to see it as ALSO a phone, a terrible one... but still a phone. Great computer, but lousy phone.) The marketing just makes it feel like Nokia lacks confidence in it own product's capability, but for good reason. (Didn't have to be, mind you--the hardware was fine if you wanted a phone, incredibly and uselessly expensive if you didn't.)

Originally Posted by deyons View Post
Simple cause I had to shut a few people up.
I just launch Easy Debian, they see a mouse pointer and a folders then they be like WTF! I say Yep. end of discussion.
I like to bring my full size laptop with me everywhere and fire up a copy of Gizmo or Cisco's IP softphone and put on my podcasting headset, then they be all like WTF! I say Yep. end of discussion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
That's like a topless Vegas show girl asking, "I'm a professional dancer - how do I explain I am not a stripper?!?"

Yes they both are attractive women that get topless on stage for money. Either you have a distinction that those two things are different or you don't. It's not an easy thing to explain (I know it's a bad example).

The best way to show off it's competing power is to actually compute, write some code, then compile it on the device. HELLO WORLD!

There's the whole Mac vs PC debate now. They both use x86 processors. Really it is OS X vs Windows and Linux just isn't included. Let people use what ever term they want. It's silly.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I prefer to describe my tower PC as a space heater, only faster.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I don't like slacks on my Jeans.
Particularly in the front pocket area.
I pad them with thick plastic boxes.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
compare it directly to one of HTC's mobile computers, like the Desire, or Samsung's Mobile computer, the Galaxy S. You will see that they all have an identical subset of mobile computing features, except that the others also make excellent phones. But who really wants that anyway?

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
why do you have to convince anyone of anything. go on your merry way and tell them to **** off
Lol, This is the best answer yet.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Not at all. You CAN refuse to log into Gmail, go to setting to enable third party apps, go off into the web and download apk's to your hearts' content from any number of sources (including the Android Scripting Environment which you don't necessarily have to get from the Market.. without rooting, even). It's possible that the Apple side of things has similar possibilities if you jailbreak them.

Edit: Oh right, forgot to add the "ka-ching!" sound to the end of my posts.

KA-CHING!
Don't get me wrong, I like a lot about Android (I have a G1 and even Nitdroid installed) but as recently as a few months back, not logging in to a Google account made your system less stable. Perhaps that has changed post-Donut.

But you can't buy apps from the Android Market unless you have a Google account. I have one, obviously (and a lot of apps that make me happy on Nitdroid) I'm not saying that I don't buy stuff - I do - but I also had an unlocked G1 a year ago that was unusable until I figured out a way to log in with a non-T Mobile account. That didn't endear Android to me. I gather that iPhone is similar when you go the jailbreak path.

That's kind of my point, though. Both Google and Apple have backdoors into devices that make them vulnerable and I don't like that on principle. If I paid for it, I want to use it the way I want to. That (the freedom) doesn't make the N900 a good phone (my G1 still beats every other for reception in my area) but it makes sense to me.

But I had a Beta-Max vcr. ;-) I know that quality never wins in the long run.

Terry

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
I just tell people that they should go and buy an android Phone because the iPhone, it is just hyped and the N900 is WAY to much for them to handle.
And, seriously, thats my Opinion.

Tags
derp-derp, snl-shimmer