Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Guys check out kinetic scrolling in QT Mobile Demo: HyperUI. Go into Menu>Phone>Contacts (you have to tap on the picture in the lower left hand corner). I do like how kinetic scrolling is currently implemented but I can't understand how it is even possible to have such a terrible frame rate on this device. Really horrible...

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by aman18narang View Post
sorry..i disagree a bit..when i try to stop the scrolling by taping the touchscreen it automaticaly opens the link i have tapped.. only in photos it stops the scrolling without opening the pic..i get really annoyed when i am scrolling on my contact list and end up opening 3 contacts b4 reaching for the one i wanted to dial
I've filed bug 8420 to report this issue as this is something that I also find really annoying.

The bug has however been marked as RESOLVED INVALID as this problem apparently doesn't exist

If anybody feels that this issue actually exists and would need to be fixed, feel free to vote for this bug and add a comment to describe where you've seen the problem.

Originally Posted by villo View Post
Guys check out kinetic scrolling in QT Mobile Demo: HyperUI. Go into Menu>Phone>Contacts (you have to tap on the picture in the lower left hand corner). I do like how kinetic scrolling is currently implemented but I can't understand how it is even possible to have such a terrible frame rate on this device. Really horrible...

Yes, the a-z scrolling in HyperUI is great. And it could be implemented in Maemo 5 across all applications - and it has to be ALL apps! - by just devoting 20 pixels or so to the right of the interface ffr an a-z list or some other scrollbar-type thing that you can run your fingernail down (because using the fingernail is the best way to use the A-Z in HyperUI, I find).

But, I the easiest way to improve scrolling through lists would be to enable the arrow keys. This device has a keyboard - use it!

The up and down arrow keys would scroll normally and the right and left keys could be used to 'jump' 10 items or rows at a time.

Easy, no?

Last edited by Jamil; 2010-01-23 at 19:53.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Jamil View Post

But, I the easiest way to improve scrolling through lists would be to enable the arrow keys. This device has a keyboard - use it!

The up and down arrow keys would scroll normally and the right and left keys could be used to 'jump' 10 items or rows at a time.

Easy, no?
I think the main complaint about the kinetic scrolling isn't the way it is implemented, but rather the way in which it is presented i.e. very low frame rate, it looks unaesthetic. Just compare scrolling though a list of artists in the media player of the N900 and iPhone 3GS...

It is not just contacts where the kinetic scrolling suffers low frame rates.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
Vote for this bug.

Ok, increase the frame rate as well.

But the arrow keys, people? Am I the only person who also wants to be able to use the arrow keys?

I agree that kinetic scrolling is a really clever way to get quickly through a long list. But you're still touching the screen, which makes it too easy to either accidentally select the wrong item, or miss the thing you were looking for and have to go back up again, too far again ... then down again ...

Or, add something down the side or the screen that's as good as the HyperUI Contacts scroller. It's worth a look (hint: use your finger nail to scroll down the a-z letters).

Ok, so I just basically repeated myself from earlier ...

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
I really don't see any problem at all. If i want to scroll faster, i simply swipe my finger faster. It's precise. The more you swipe, the faster you scroll. I don't see a need to go back to the prehistoric old scrolling which was a slow PITA.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack6428 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
I think a large portion of the issue with scrolling on the N900, for me at least, is that the area for moving your finger on a scroll is so short. If there were more Portrait support I suspect that long lists would prove easier to navigate with more space to get the scrolling up to speed.
Id have to say that Fargus nailed it 100% ITS TOO SMALL. damned nokia blew it all. bigger would be better and hope that it would get fixed also typical press buttons would help the scrolling. Dont make things too complicated. And it scroll also too slow and thirdly i want to change my scrolling to reverse its stupid to scroll by moving different direction you want to go. Hope that these upgrades will hit soon. Because thats one good reason to change phone. No matter how many good programs you would have but if the user-interface friendliness is from the deepest hell. It does make the difference.