Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by urayford View Post
I have to agree with silvermountain, I'm not criticizing the N900 but I cannot see holding on to it now. I remember a few months ago when this was all talk and no one believed it would happen, well it has. I'm not sure of my next phone, maybe I will go back to my N95, maybe I shouldn't have left it.
What? I see no reason for that. In what is N95 better than N900?

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
Originally Posted by traysh View Post
I'm from Brazil and I can say it happened before, as far as I remember N810 didn't last 6 months after they started selling it here. In fact, there were no updates to it's OS after it was launched. For N900, there was no great advertising, Ovi Store still don't have any paid apps, and I never saw it in any store (just online) so don't think it's going to be different, thought I really hope it will.
Anyway, community is still mantaining N800 and N810 OS, an update was launched recently. Maybe that will happen to N900 too, if all the devellopers don't buy the next phone and forget about the olders (see nitdroid for N8X0).
Brazilian here, too, though I've been in the forum for a while now (used to have an N800).

In any case, the reason I bought the N800 was because they were emptying it up for the N810 (I bought it for something less than $200 at the time and got a free router with it ), but I bought the N900 because the N800 made me want a lot for Maemo, a good portion of which was (somewhat) delivered by the N900. I knew it had a short life-span as far as Nokia support went, and honestly, coming from the 3GS, I miss some stuff. I do feel left out from a lot of the fun, even if the hackability of the N900 is still unrivaled in its hardware-niche tier.

The reason I'm not mad I spent 400 dollars in it? (Some of you will probably not like it): Nitdroid.

And yes, the phone does cost around $1000 if I buy it in Brazil, I just had a friend bring it from the states.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by traysh View Post
What? I see no reason for that. In what is N95 better than N900?
I´m sticking with the N900 for the next 2 years since I´ve invested so heavily in it, accessories and alike.

But I do miss my N95-1. Even after having the N900 for 9.5 months.

The N95 was just so epic.........

Last edited by olighak; 2010-09-12 at 04:16.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
and create beer i aint buying

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

I have 5000 box packed N900 handsets.. So if anyone is interested in buying, let me know.. Delivery worldwide.. Price $499 incl. tax and delivery..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vivek5000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Its a kinda funny... three days ago I visited Nokia website and found that the n900 is not being offered for sale on their website, then I visited dell and couldn't find it there either. I then posted on the forum asking people if they new if it has been discontinued and the response was so emotional that I couldn't believe, people said various things from bad to not so good but all good thing about n900 itself. rumor is that n900 us being replaced with n9.

I want to sell this device now that it is more apparent through this thread that n900 is EOL. This community is good but Nokia is bad, started to hate it since I bought previous phone (5800) and now n900 recently ( just a month ago) after having used its other phones for over 10 years.

Not sure what to buy though, its getting confusing ever, go back to the continuously hanging Symbion but feature rich (out of the box) or Android ????

Posts: 433 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ U.K
All I can say is be like this guy and just have some fun with your device.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Tiboric For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I think one of the concerns, and often rightfully so, is that the end of an OS (no further support from the manufacturer) means that third-party developers of 'commercial grade' applications (and yes, there are of course some apps that are free and rivals commercial ones) will have no interest in updating and/or releasing products for the platform. That became evident really quickly for for instance the N810 and support of applications such as Skype.

For Maemo5 it will mean the same now. Games is a good example as high quality games (graphics, stable, etc) are very hard to get outside of the commercial, larger companies. There might well be Qt ports, community developments, etc but closed-source, commercial applications will now not come to any Maemo platform.
I'll ask again, in what way is it different from the situation before the OP's fateful phone call ? Sadly, it's not exactly like until now these 'commercial grade' developers were rushing to make Maemo versions of their apps. If they ever change their mind (with MeeGo and/or MeeGo-Harmattan devices), that will not be due to the status of the N900. New apps will be written with Qt anyway and Qt IS present AND being updated on the N900.

platform can deliver. For those people a discontinuation of a phone (and in this particular case - an OS at the same time) does
No, that is not correct. The OS is not said to be discontinued, even the original post says nothing about the OS. Unless you mean discontinued as in 'on one cloudy day in the distant future' in which case, of course, every OS will be discontinued...

indeed make it much less valuable. How many times can one really play Angry Birds and sit by and watch mainstream applications and games come to your iOS, Android platforms - and not feel left out?
The number of devices sold and state of the Ovi store has a far more profound effect on software vendors than device discontinuation. The original iPhone or Nokia N95, (and to pick a popular 2009 entry) HTC Hero got EOL-d a long time ago and people still write apps for them, even if it's far more difficult to do than it will be for MeeGo software to come to the N900.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RossTuck View Post
Me, well I'll be buying up any N900 I can get my hands on, so that I have a supply of this device to last me for years to come.

yeah at least two more when people start sellin it for cheap!

Originally Posted by vivek5000 View Post
I have 5000 box packed N900 handsets.. So if anyone is interested in buying, let me know.. Delivery worldwide.. Price $499 incl. tax and delivery..
ill buy one for $50 bucks...

Tags
delusion, ebay.com