Notices

Been following the whole expoit story since geohot started.(almost a slapstick, or at least a funny movie worth)

never upgraded from 315 to later because i installed and also use linux on the ps3.
decide to favour 315 with linux over online gaming.

Without being able to go online, I also stopped buying DLC for rockband,singstar guitar here and few more.
That costed Sony about 30-50 eur a month (i know they don't care)
still, to make a point, I was a happy spending user, no plans to hack or dowload iso games whatsoever, I can and will pay for my game I like.
BVut I just want to keep linux on it.
They themselved suggested, want to keep Linux? dont upgrade. Fine.

Then PSjailbreak showed up. Mhh 150 EUR? never.
few days later,cloned chinese version for 50EUR.
haha good one, but still would never pay .
for my use, fast game start from hd would be nice and homebrew games and nice media stuff and such.
can think of a few more, who probably will arrive soon.

dont care about dl iso's. Been there , done that.
500 games on you hd does not bring any extra fun. Just greed for more.
but when its possible, i cant blame anyone for doing. I might even try a few myself, just to get some better "demo" experience
But if i would really like the game, still will buy it.
Anyways, for my use, 50EUR was to much.

Then PSgroove arrived a few days later.
pfff, lmao!
Alsmost considered a teensy for 15eur (nice boards anyways)
but already within hours, rumours already popped about a sw solution.
and now jack came out of the box on loads of USB devices and our loved N900.(and even reading about TI-84 calculator? :P)

OMG, who wrote this bad movie script! LOL
almost feel sorry for the hw dongle investors (not really)

Since the N900 version has just been released but not open code yet I still have to wait a bit more.
Or still pay a price, as in, sacrifising the power kernel on the N900?
NOT!

I can wait a bit longer for a powerkernel compatible version and gui and ? and?

few Question left. i hope someone can answer me.

Is a working version ever expected for fw 315?
or do i really need to upgrade to latest ps3 fw first and thus loose my current Linux partion?
I know there are lots of other still running 315, therfore I think one will re-code for this soon.

But I also understood, that if ppl now can get Linux re-installed using the jailbreak on latest fw, they also now can use the full graphics under Linux?
Can someone confirm that this is true?
If so, upgrading to latest fw will be better i guess?

still need to wait until it works with the powerkernel

Last:
For online PSN stuff and the jailbreak.
I read that for using own gamecopies on hd and be online, you need to change the softwaretitle from the copied game to a random not used(demo) game.
this way Sony cannot detect the standard name which is created by the backupmanger. Just thinks a demo or other game is being played.

if i want to go online again, i can simple remove/uninstall the external HD and N900 to get back to a normal PS3 to be online?
or do i also need to uninstalll the backupmanager first?

But has anyone figured out yet what happens if you run latest fw, but also have Linux re-installed?
How to hide/disguise if even possible?

on more offtopic question for the experts, have a small pcb here, has a MEGA88 and seperate FTDI chip for USB comms.
could this , in theory, also be turned into a jailbreak device with the right firmware flashed to the device?

Almost back to ontopic:
Hacking the PS3 with my N900 reminded me to the guy in this movie (Terminator1?) hacking this ATM with his wristwatch. sweet..

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
This is excellent news. You don't know how many game disks my kids have destroyed over the years

Woop got gta backed up and running perfectly on the internal HD, make sure you change dev_xxxx to dev_bdvd. Couldnt get it to copy on my external HD but i only tried once and it may be because it ran out of space

i tested it with the first solution, now i backup my first ps3 game ...

yeeehaaa

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
In case there was some confusion in the meantime:

The backup manager will install and do backup even when using unpatched version. But it won't allow to start you the games you have there.

To be able to do that, you need patched version, which is now available in the updated first post.

Just my $0.02

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

so when i remove the n900 my ps3 will go back to normal? and ill be able to play online without any hitch from sony?

this is very interesting. A bit off topic, but, how is the PS3 scene nowadays anyway, can we restore game saves from another ps3 hdd yet? I had used dd to copy my old ps3 encrypted hdd in the hope that one day I can restore my saves on the new ps3. For now my data is in a cryogenic state in the hope that somebody can bring it back to life.

so when i remove the n900 my ps3 will go back to normal? and ill be able to play online without any hitch from sony?

and Thanks for the detailed guide, I would have been clueless without it.

Removing the n900 won't erase all traces of hacks. There's still a risk of getting banned.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sektor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 220 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ england
hey guys great work btw. but i have to ask as nobody has answered. will this affect online. i sure dont wonna get banned playing my own backups? this is just gonna get patched asap by sony surely? as its an open piracy door? back em up. trade em in. borrow from john. rent from blockbuster. etc.... or is it too good to be true?