Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
No, it doesn't exist. With locked screen N900 may consume a huge power from battery, for exam - in hildon-home. See https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10412
So how do you lock it then?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by rolan900d View Post
So how do you lock it then?
If you lock N900 then MCE signals X11 to switch off the light and ignores any KBD press until you unlock (or slide camera cover or ...).

But processes can still consume CPU resources and application may run with full speed. For exam, Java Script is stopped in browser only after 15secs... and it seems that sometime it fails to stop ... may be fixed in PR1.2, I didn't check.

N900 lock is pretty similar to generic PC lock but it should do more in system. It is an exact reason why iPhone or Android have better standby time for less battery - if you lock them it stops Java processing completely - single task systems!

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by megaexer View Post
Of course i didn't mention all the features like FM receiver, Bluetooth... basically it should have all the features of N900 and more.

Yeah 1GB of pure RAM would be awesome... so would be 4GB but 512MB would be enough for now... and for 64GB storage it would be more pricey. So I try to keep it somewhat realistic...
No, 512MB is not enough - Maemo/Meego are the generic Linux and it requires some memory for applications. Simple calculation - browser, gstreamer, e-mail - all may get 100MB+ size easily and add to it pulse/tone generator with slightly less memory. But generic PC has a disk for swap with 50-100MByte/sec write speed and N900 - flash with 19MB/sec write speed. Do you math here. Don't forget X11 and hildon-* apps.

Originally Posted by BruceL View Post
That's it! Until phones can diagnose medical issues or test air/water quality there isn't much left, IMHO, to catch up to desktop level computing.
When did phones get hardware floating point math?
(GPU and DSP don't count unless math functions in the standard libraries support them out of the box.)

egoshin. Then why does N900 have 256MB RAM and it's ok with it.
Add 512MB SWAP to 512MB RAM and wouldn't it be good? Unless MeeGo is a memory hog.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by megaexer View Post
egoshin. Then why does N900 have 256MB RAM and it's ok with it.
It's not OK with it if you're missing calls due to excessive swapping activity. You can't even run the N900 with swap disabled. It would crash shortly after booting up (I tried this).

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
10GB Ram
5 inch 400DPI screen
512GB SSD
3GHz i7
Ability to do things I want before I even think of them.
USB 4.0
20 day battery
5G network

Am I the only one who notices that people here will clamor for amazing specs, but then be frustrated with the outrageous pricetag?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ctbeiser For This Useful Post:
Here's my wish list:

* gyro so that we can run the cool fcam "lucky imaging" application.
* Full HD video recording.
* Higher resolution front camera. At least 800x600 pixels.
* Scratch resistant screen! Preferably resistive, but if that is not possible, then let it be capacitive.
* USB host for connecting external keyboards etc.
* More buttons to press when the unit is closed. You always find uses for these when writing programs. E.g. dedicated page up and page down buttons. Currently they are typically overloaded with volume up volume down.
* Make back side into a touch panel so that you don't have to smudge and cover up the front screen image with your fingers.
* Enlarge the touch screen outside the visible screen. Perhaps even on the sides of the unit.
* Long battery life.

Agreed about the price, that's why 512MB RAM + 512MB SWAP suffices in my opinion. I haven't missed any of my calls because of swapping. and i do get them...

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Originally Posted by dov View Post
Here's my wish list:

* Enlarge the touch screen outside the visible screen. Perhaps even on the sides of the unit.
That's a GREAT idea. I wonder if it could substitute for a D-Pad.