Active Topics

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
The Maemo/Meego series is getting closer and closer to being a general purpose computer. There are lots of sci-fi inventions that have been in the tech news lately: medical microscopes for cell phones that can diagnose disease, high tech particle or chemical sensors (you could ask what was in the air that made you start sneezing, is your water clean? How much sugar is in your blood sample?)

But realistically, what would you like to see?

My list:
* 1080 HDMI output
* Working USB (even if it's a community-supported hack.)
* Compass
* A little thinner and faster. (Current web browsing is not as fast as on a laptop)
* Don't remove/ruin any current features.

That's it! Until phones can diagnose medical issues or test air/water quality there isn't much left, IMHO, to catch up to desktop level computing.

The Following User Says Thank You to BruceL For This Useful Post:
My main interest: Support the current hardware with stable software.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pwm For This Useful Post:
mine is keep the portability feature! Smartphones are becoming bigger and bigger now by the time they wouldn't fit my pocket already then that's it. No more new smartphones for me... I'd rather buy a netbook

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Jakarta, Indonesia
Why not suggest scenario of practical applications that would use it first before adding sensors another sensor than what’s already in the high end phones these days.
Laser distance calculator ? :P

I’d rather have support in the software side. Realizable potential of more functions from software, either the OS or applications. And keep it from getting obsolete too quickly.

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on May 2010 @ France
I want to start the engine of my car and my motorcycle with my remote phone

For me the ideal screen size is 4 ", below is too small and above would be too big, so I was glad to see that Nokia has thought the same thing with the build of the N9 and E7, two phones that I already love

I also wanted to see the first resistive screen multitouch made by nokia, one day maybe...

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
i like n900
better OS
more mem for OS
more ram
and better battery
and thats about it
fm transmitter and IR is what makes this baby special :P

I want to make my mobile phone the center of my digital lifestyle. It is always with me and always on.

Terminal mode integration. I like where Nokia is going with this but I hope the platform is open enough for hackers to roll their own.

Home Automation: I want to have secure communications with my home network that lets me lock / unlock my doors. arm / disarm my security system and control my home media

Enough horsepower and IO capability to expand into light laptop work. We're already pretty close to this with N900. I want to have a dock that lets me hook up a monitor and keyboard for quick email / notes. Sort of like Palm's failed Foleo but with HDMI graphics.

Bigger battery and ability to change batteries on the fly without rebooting. Could be thicker. The extra thickness with Mugen is OK.

Digital compass, USB OTG and HDMI-interface, ok, but generally hardwarewise I am quite happy with N900.

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on May 2010 @ France
oh I forgot ^^, I would like to see for all next devices a simple shorcut alarm button that allow somebody like my girl-friend for example to alert me and give her GPS position on my phone instantly by just press this button to respond quickly, lol.

But please keep the 3.5 mm stereo-audio/video as long there is headphones and TVs (cheap hotels) with composite video. HDMI-interface alone would be a mistake, although it supports both video and audio.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post: