Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Sounds good. I'm very interested in their implementation. In fact, if the tip is capacitive and is, for example, modulating a capacitive pattern, it would be easy to differentiate between a palm and the tip of the pen. I suspect bluetooth would allow the pen to transmit other useful information including tilt and pressure (as you surmised). I hope the response is good, input-lag would ruin the experience!

The benefit of a stylus goes beyond gloves on and small-item selection; though these are certainly benefits. The pen is a very dexterous tool for input that is difficult with other mechanism ie. finger or mouse. Writing or drawing is simply not the same without the pen, and nothing quite replaces those two tasks.

I still frequently use a pen and paper in this great age of digitization, and finally, it seems that there is an affordable device that can actually *replace* them! While it's not the first device to do this, it's certainly poised to being the first device to do this well, and inexpensively. So in this way, it is a first, and exactly what I've been wanting for a long, long time.

Perhaps the pen can be hacked to work on different devices! Here's hoping that this is the beginning of a trend.

I would be in heaven if there was an x server ported to Android, or an app that rendered output from x programs (like a wrapper of sorts -- it could even handle multi-window, larger-than-screen apps with a slick zoom in/out interface). There are a few non-CLI apps I would enjoy using on this system!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
Here's hoping someone else comes out with a tablet to compete with this so the price stays low. With all the accessories already being announced for it, this is looking a LOT like the tablet of choice for anyone (read: me) looking for a follow-on to the N810 (even if it IS Android).
MP3: Insignia NS-DV4G or IT/Canola

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DistantFire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
It dawns on me that stylus support makes more sense for a asian company then one from US or Europe.

And yes, samsung really seems to go all in on this.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Here's a link to the Engadget show. Normally, I would not post a link to this show, but it has a relevant interview with Omar Khan, CSO of Samsung and he talks about the Tab:

Interesting notes:
- Claims to be their most researched product
- Device is confirmed to works in landscape and portrait
- Has elements of Touchwiz. Brings parts of Galaxy S to the tablet
- He briefly shows the size as the device is wrapped in something.

It's actually a fun (IMO) interview, Omar is charming guy!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/30/t...d-teases-gala/

They also show a Tegra 2 tablet that looks quite nice! Very fast, 3G, good selection of ports and all for $299. I'd be very interested if I weren't sold on the Tab!

Enjoy.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2010-08-30 at 20:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Here's a link to the Engadget show. Normally, I would not post a link to this show, but it has a relevant interview with Omar Khan, CSO of Samsung and he talks about the Tab:

Interesting notes:
- Claims to be their most researched product
- Device is confirmed to works in landscape and portrait
- Has elements of Touchwiz. Brings parts of Galaxy S to the tablet
- He briefly shows the size as the device is wrapped in something.

It's actually a fun (IMO) interview, Omar is charming guy!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/30/t...d-teases-gala/

Enjoy.
He is such a tease though. Did not give anything away. And how crazy is that bringing the device but wrapping it up so you can't see.

Anyway we have only three more days to go for the official reveal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
He is such a tease though. Did not give anything away. And how crazy is that bringing the device but wrapping it up so you can't see.
Haha.. Yeah.. That was a little crazy, but I suppose it will only be 3 more days before we know everything!

EDIT: I didn't read your last line.. Sorry about the copied sentiment!

Ugg...I was planning on setting up an elaborate HTTP tunnel to get unlimited data for $10/month for this tablet, but I think I'm going to go with Roger's pay-per-use data for $2/day (up to 20MiB) or $7/wk
(up to 125MiB). It's more expensive, but I suspect it will be cheaper for me in the long run as I'll use it only when needed, which will be rare. Thankfully, this can be coupled with a Pay as you go plan.

For canadians:
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/ad...ternetandemail

I've been tracking my usage with my N810, and I'll easily be able to stay within 125MiB. If I were downloading video or files, it would be another story, but I'll mainly be surfing and emailing. Even with SIP (GSM codec) this equates to 4-5 hours of talk time.

It doesn't get much cheaper than this, and I love deals!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I strongly suspect that I will be buying one of these to augment my geek habit and my strict-tablet needs and work nicely with my Droid via wifi/bluetooth tether.

I'd also wonder if this might not make a FAR better nav screen for my van's console whereas my Droid was pretty comfortable as my nav screen in my much teenier Honda Del Sol. I would LOVE to have a massive screen so that I don't have to have ANY effort to see the map/nav when I glance to the right for a second.

I was already really considering the Dell Streak but these accessories and Samsung's gung-ho tablet (and general Android and relative open-source friendliness) attitude is certainly attractive.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
In-car is a great use case that I hadn't considered. This would be a wonderful nav device or in-car nav device. In addition, if you're a passenger, this makes a device to casually use. I bet Layar is awesome on this thing... good enough for Samsung to advertise it anyway!

I've heard great things about swype, and based on what I've seen, it is a very fast method of text entry. I wonder if I can get used to swyping as fast as I type (which is moderately fast). On a larger screen it must be even faster, and useful for document editing/content creation.

I. Can't. Wait.

Oh my! I just thought of the possibility of having something like liqbase on the 7" Galaxy Tab! And enless 'pad' for jotting notes. Even if it were basic and had methods of sorting and tags for catagorizing, this would be HUGE.

How about collecting signatures to prove/approve transactions?

The bluetooth 'stylus' is a game-changer.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy