Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Just noticed that using cp -rf command to convert themes to schemes ins't very good idea because it won't copy the actual files. Instead it copies symlinks if there are ones (almost all 3rd party themes have symlinks pointing here and there). So I wrote a little convert script which will tar the source theme and then untarts it to target folder.

I will include this script with next update of Plastic Pack.
Attached Images

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
for newbs like myself who dont know how to mod the system files in a future release are you going to incoporate the ability to use any theme in your theme set up.

Originally Posted by pindu View Post
for newbs like myself who dont know how to mod the system files in a future release are you going to incoporate the ability to use any theme in your theme set up.
Please check one post above yours

Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
Please check one post above yours
ill take that as a yes then(?)

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Havant
Hi Guys,

Great themes, not had any real issues so far.

But I have a question. ( or 2 )

Why when the package updates, does it use the default settings and not the last settings I set it up with ?

Also is there any chance of a neon / techno type theme ?

thanks.

Posts: 384 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
Originally Posted by RossTuck View Post
Why when the package updates, does it use the default settings and not the last settings I set it up with ?
This is really a good one. Yes. Why if I'm using Black Plastic with Plego Scheme after every uptade I have to select again Black Plastic? It wasn't supposed to remain active if I already using it? As far as I remember this should be the output.

Originally Posted by RossTuck View Post
Hi Guys,

Great themes, not had any real issues so far.

But I have a question. ( or 2 )

Also is there any chance of a neon / techno type theme ?

thanks.
Upgrading wipes the settings because I made it to do so. I made it act like that because I though it would make more sense if the settings would reflect the real situation (during upgrade everything is wiped out and files really are set back to defaults). I can easily change this in future updates.

Q #2: we'll see

The Following User Says Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by puiradu View Post
This is really a good one. Yes. Why if I'm using Black Plastic with Plego Scheme after every uptade I have to select again Black Plastic? It wasn't supposed to remain active if I already using it? As far as I remember this should be the output.
No, during upgrade everything is set back to defaults because all files are first wiped clean (uninstalled*) and then new files are placed to their places (installed*). It's exactly same procedure as if you would manually first uninstall the package and then manually install it again *.

* the way debian packaging works

Okay, version 2.311 is @ extras-devel. It has now simple command line tool for scheme conversion bundled with it.

Just open xterm and type "convertplastic" (without quotes) and hit enter. It will give you guides on how to do the conversion. Make sure you are running the command as regular user, not root (don't type sudo gainroot or anything before the command).

This version will also not delete your Plastic Setup settings during installation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
I love this theme. The eye candy in the deep blue option is amazing. Hoever, I use a lot of my own customisations (backgrounds, icons, etc). Each time I update it reverts back to default and I have to copy back all my customisations using WinSCP. Is there a way to update and not have the theme revert to all the defaults?

I have got round this by copying everything to the default theme but this means I lose any benefit that come when you update.