and please dont put the headphone jack anywhere near the keyboard so that the wire can get in the way..

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Just to be clear, there are no specs right now - everyone is making it up at this point! No mention of FM transmitters so far though, but that really doesn't mean much.

EXACTLY.....now can somebody send me a good link to some dinosaur pron?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
21 days left... hopefully we get answer....

Have you ever owned a mobile device that had 1GB of DRAM? Otherwise how can you make such a comment?
Because that's how it has -always- been for computing. It's a fundamental function of what RAM is: fast, dynamic memory. Deliberately constraining your maximum RAM capacity in exchange for dropping down to a significantly slower (and CPU dependent) tier of memory leads to the nasty unresponsiveness I've seen on the N900 as I wait forever for it to page stuff in from swap.

Eventually it comes too, but the overly aggressive swap settings and lack of RAM make it happen too often.

remember, memory has to be continuously refreshed even when the rest of the device is completely idle. I imagine the comment (which is no doubt lost in time, sadly) would apply even more so today when talking about an increase of DRAM from 256MB to 1GB.
Yes, it does. And at the same time there has been a lot of work in cutting down the power required for RAM in mobile devices. In the long run, I'll burn far more battery pulling up a page over 3G or LTE than I will with my device in a deep sleep mode as it refreshes the 1GB of RAM inside it. I'm sure the refresh probably also consumes less power overall as I'm not stuck with my CPU spinning at 100% doing IO to a slow eMMC chip.

But hey, it's a small issue but worth knowing that increases in DRAM don't come for free.
Indeed, but banking on swap instead just leads to CPU eating performance issues that piss people off and don't help battery life either.

Heh...nice specs.

I also heard the case is made from the most supple baby kitten leather.

Hi,

Audio via HDMI and USB!
Combo Line Out/Optical Out (_NOT A HEADPHONE OUT_)

OMAP4440 ... and the spec list from Eldar (if we could get 128gb storage from toshiba: http://www.toshiba.com/taec/news/pre...emy_10_598.jsp)

boom! realistically, if this is a portfolio smashing device, we need to see non predictable incremental hardware update. else its an also ran ...

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Have you ever owned a mobile device that had 1GB of DRAM? Otherwise how can you make such a comment?

I'm pretty sure that in the deep and distant past when the discussion of memory provision on earlier devices has taken place at t.m.o. (or maybe it was itt) a Nokia Tablet engineer commented that DRAM refresh power consumption is an important consideration - remember, memory has to be continuously refreshed even when the rest of the device is completely idle. I imagine the comment (which is no doubt lost in time, sadly) would apply even more so today when talking about an increase of DRAM from 256MB to 1GB.

I'd take an educated guess that 1GB of DRAM uses precisely twice as much power than would be consumed by 512MB no matter how it is "set up" (discounting the dynamic disabling of banked DRAM which is just too fanciful for words).

But hey, it's a small issue but worth knowing that increases in DRAM don't come for free.
what is the D in DRAM? Surely not 'digital'... :P

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Rumour has it that the N9 will be an upgradable device. Some said you can change the RAM and swap it with a bigger one, and it uses the SSD as it internal memory. Some says that the CPU of the N9 will be a quadcore as powerful as the core i7 and has a very powerful GPU built inside as powerful as the PS3 GPU. Some says that it is so powerful and fast, even the STIG is too afraid to challenging it in a speed race.

Some says all the above rumours are just lies. And I would say "Good on ya mate!"

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2010-08-27 at 01:16.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Rumour has it that the N9 will be an upgradable device. Some said you can change the RAM and swap it with a bigger one, and it uses the SSD as it internal memory. Some says that the CPU of the N9 will be a quadcore as powerful as the core i7 and has a very powerful GPU built inside as powerful as the PS3 GPU. Some says that it is so powerful and fast, even the STICK is too afraid to challenging it in a speed race.

Some says all the above rumours are just lies. And I would say "Good on ya mate!"
When reading the first two lines I was like Dammmn Jeremy Clarkson, and I read Stick, and laughed.

one thing is really worrying me from the pics, theres no stylus!!!!!!!!!!

Im gonna kill Nokia if its capacitive!!!!!! there will be no more easy debian!!!! wont be able to click on tiny things!!!!!!!!