Active Topics

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North East England
Not sure if this is the correct part of the forum to post this but is there a vpn ipsec client for this phone

To connect to my work network I normally use Cisco vpn client to from my laptop. I need to be able to access my work network from my mobile now and sslvpn will not work as it is not secure enough and is not permitted.

If you can point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

sure there is a vpnc and vpnc-gui package in the extra-testing

i use it for my cisco vpn connection

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to therock For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by therock View Post
sure there is a vpnc and vpnc-gui package in the extra-testing

i use it for my cisco vpn connection
The usual caveat applies for using an unreleased package - make sure you backup data and know how to restore your device if it bricks etceteras. Also be aware that the software is likely to still have bugs or other usability issues associated at present so please provide helpful feedback to the author too.

true, but vpnc and vpnc-gui is working fine, i am using it on the 2nd day I have my n900 :-).

and its still working good . Not sure why its always stay on extra-testing. Never encountered problem with it.

Originally Posted by tirtawn View Post
true, but vpnc and vpnc-gui is working fine, i am using it on the 2nd day I have my n900 :-).

and its still working good . Not sure why its always stay on extra-testing. Never encountered problem with it.
Maybe you should vote it up then so that it may sopmeday get the 10 votes needed to be upgraded to extras proper...

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North East England
i've checked these out and they are not ipsec vpn clients
ipsec is the only compatable vpn client i can use

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Western MA, USA
i too am seeking a proper ipsec vpn client.

on my mac i use ipsecuritas, which is a fantastic open source (but mac only) ipsec capable vpn client.

i'd love to see something similar on the N900 - 90% of my work is done via ssh via vpn connection to my office already. if it didn't have to byring my laptop and could instead just use the n900 i'd be very happy.

i used NCP's mobile client on my N97 back before i traded up to the n900. that worked very well, in case you also have a symbian device that needs an ipsec vpn client.

-bit

vpnc is an ipsec client for Cisco concentrators with a simple configuration file.

ipsec-tools is a command-line-only program and has a pretty steep learning curve, but it implements the ipsec standard proper and can do certificate-based, private key and xauth. You can use as both client and server, as the distinction is meaningless with ipsec.

I found armel packages for ipsec-tools on natisbad.org, install with:
wget http://natisbad.org/debian-n900/pool...7-17_armel.deb
wget http://natisbad.org/debian-n900/pool...7-17_armel.deb
sudo dpkg -i racoon-umip_0.7-17_armel.deb ipsec-tools-umip_0.7-17_armel.deb

Configuration files, you can probably find man pages online for those:
/etc/ipsec-tools.conf (policy definitions for setkey)
/etc/racoon/racoon.conf for key exchange daemon IKE (racoon)

To start manually:
sudo /etc/init.d/setkey start
sudo /etc/init.d/racoon start

The Following User Says Thank You to wotevah For This Useful Post: