Active Topics

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Symbian and MeeGo are open source. Use Qt to develop a UI/UX for each. Use Qt to develop apps that run on either.

Now... how are they differentiated?
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
no(t much) difference from a user standpoint apart from more high-end hardware coming with MeeGo and 'modest' ones coming with Symbian (and their UIs of course tweaked accordingly). This part of Nokia strategy I don't quite get. Personally, I think that it's this Qt strategy that needs to be pushed
The answer is actually pretty simple, imho: if your app doesn't require MeeGo's capabilities, you don't differentiate. Despite Qt being awesome, Symbian will never be a Unix-like operating system. End users will just see that cheaper phones don't run as much stuff as more expensive phones.

Qt only needs to be pushed to developers. Right now, it can even be promoted to users, but when there's enough software, they won't need any convincing about developers being present.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Russia,Moscow
Despite Qt being awesome, Symbian will never be a Unix-like operating system.
I'm only to read this article as it's very interesting topic and from the first look a nice discussion took place.

But answer for this is simple. You forget S^4 will be completely rewritten using QT. It will be something like light version of MeeGo at first for non high-end phones at the market at first. Later,probably MeeGo would be used on phones in almost all price range. But we have to wait to see=)

A little different approach from an average user -

MeeGo won't work if it is MeeToo (sorry couldn't resist)

Uniqueness gets people interested. I think one the things that really kicked off the iphone revolution was that it was one of the first devices to make browsing the web really easy and intuitive. It offered something unique and different that got people excited.

So what can make MeeGo unique? One thing that already sets it apart is that it is running a full Linux distro. What are some things there that MeeGo can take advantage of?

1- For the first time, MeeGo gives us the chance to "live" an OS. There is potential to turn MeeGo into an "everything" device. Imagine this commercial- guy wakes up morning, turns off his MeeGo device alarm clock, gets online, checks into his flight, eats breakfast, reads the news on his device, goes to work, hooks up his to device to his monitor keyboard and mouse and starts using open office, prints a few reports, creates a presentation for his sales pitch that afternoon, unplugs, uses navigation system in his car that is already synced with the customers address on his mobile device, hooks his device up to a projector via hdmi, and lands the deal. Then he goes into his amazon/netflix movie app and starts downloading a movie over his 4g connection for that night. He gets home, hooks his mobile device up to his big screen tv (or streams it) and watches a movie with his family.

If nokia/intel does it right they can build devices that do absolutely everything and go with you everywhere.

2- Build a strong enterprise management system. Devices should be very secure, able to be provisioned remotely and automatically, screen and control sharing should be simple, corporate application controls etc, should be top notch.

Right there you have a direct competitor with RIM and WinMo in the enterprise space, a space that is badly in need of another player.

Then, take that system and make it friendly for families, allow parents total control of their children's devices, and make troubleshooting simple, but make it fun too. Make games that the whole family can join together. Family friendly will sell big in many places... it is segment that is seldom targeted directly in the smart phone space.

3 - leverage some older techs to get things rolling. Offering the N-Gage library for free would be a great selling point.

4 - I live in the US so I'll tell you right now that Nokia's marketing here is a major fail. The euro centric marketing only appeals to a narrow segment here. Family centric marketing or business centric marketing will go further, in my opinion (which probably isn't worth much).

I think if MeeGo effectively does at least a few of those things I mentioned, it could really improve its standing wrt to its competitors.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captainqtp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
September 15th is the day when Nokia better lay all their MeeGo/N9 cards on the table so to speak. If HTC steals the show with their rumored announcement of Desire HD....It could be the most EPIC FAIL of a Nokia World Conference for years to come. Sadly I am holding my breath as Nokia's marketing is just soo bad.

Meego will work as long as phone companies are willing to provide non-hamstringed drivers for their closed components. E.g. every iteration of the nokia tablets has had closed video drivers that do not work to their full potential. Even the n900 drivers are terrible. I used to own an Touch HD (awful phone) and watched development of android progress to the point of drivers for the cellular radio and graphics, but these were extremely difficult to reverse engineer (maybe they succeeded)....the same is likely with the NITdroid project as well. So to me, if Megoo will work is dependent upon whether the phone manufacturers are willing to provide current, working drivers for their closed components (either os or binary). It can easily be done...nvidia has been doing it for years with their linux drivers. The rest is easy and I would bet the community would jump on it but nobody wants to develop for a hamstringed product.....

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jnwi View Post
The answer is actually pretty simple, imho: if your app doesn't require MeeGo's capabilities, you don't differentiate. Despite Qt being awesome, Symbian will never be a Unix-like operating system. End users will just see that cheaper phones don't run as much stuff as more expensive phones.
It has nothing to do with the unicity (is that a word?) of Symbian. Hell, Qt supports Win and WinMo which were pretty far from Unix.

Qt only needs to be pushed to developers. Right now, it can even be promoted to users, but when there's enough software, they won't need any convincing about developers being present.
I think there is a miscommunication. It's not about the developers, it's about tech and brand. Symbian has suffered serious brand damage and will be hard to push when most people discard it offhand (even if ^3 and ^4 are a completely different story). MeeGo is a 'whatsthat' for now, way below the radar of most phone users. So what is the tech that is available now, which automatically affect both Nokia OSes, already has a good brand recognition and can be expanded ? Qt. It's like the killer feature thing - apparently for this target audience you need to be able to say 'but X doesn't have Qt' just as people say 'Y doesn't have Flash' or 'Z doesn't have iTunes', etc.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
It has nothing to do with the unicity (is that a word?) of Symbian. Hell, Qt supports Win and WinMo which were pretty far from Unix.
Of course it does. If MeeGo wouldn't be closer to a full desktop operating system, there would be no point to it, since Symbian is much lighter. Some functionality will be easy to implement on MeeGo and very hard on Symbian. Qt can't abstract away the things that a lighter operating system will inevitably be missing, and in many cases people will want and need to use other libraries than Qt.

MeeGo is a 'whatsthat' for now, way below the radar of most phone users. So what is the tech that is available now, which automatically affect both Nokia OSes, already has a good brand recognition and can be expanded ? Qt.
Anyone who thinks MeeGo is a 'whatsthat' will most likely understand Qt even less. If the objective is to work around the Symbian brand, the best solution might be to start pushing Orbit and DirectUI branding, not Qt.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Bangkok
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
What Will Make MeeGo Succeed?
A Customers who buy a Smartphone is Answer.
Looking back what's make iPhone Success, it's 2 new things.

1. New Device ==> iPhone
2. New Market ==> Apple Store(Mobile Software).

Now and Next Year iPhone is dropped and Android Devices come up,
Everything look like sunrise and sunset.

Intel And Nokia would make New and Difference to challenged Buyer and Developer. It's mean... No New Devices, No New Market, .. No New OS(Android won now).

I think Meego is not Success in Smartphone, Vehicle or Any devices Market coz Meego followed a Java Footprint (Java OS for Any-devices) and less of device partner.

What new from Intel and Nokia?

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by gixx View Post
A Customers who buy a Smartphone is Answer.
Not really. See below.

Looking back what's make iPhone Success, it's 2 new things.

1. New Device ==> iPhone
2. New Market ==> Apple Store(Mobile Software).
[...]

What new from Intel and Nokia?
Good points.

In case of MeeGo this are:
1. New Device ==> pocketable microcomputer, in-car computer, set-top-box computer, etc.
2. New Market ==> "put a full blown microcomputer everywhere"

You see the key point here? MeeGo is not targeted at smartphones. This is dying breed.
MeeGo is targeted for normal microcomputers, like you are used on your desktop, but in a tiny form factor.

I'm scared to open the refrigerator. ;-)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Bangkok
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Not really. See below.

Good points.

In case of MeeGo this are:
1. New Device ==> pocketable microcomputer, in-car computer, set-top-box computer, etc.
2. New Market ==> "put a full blown microcomputer everywhere"

You see the key point here? MeeGo is not targeted at smartphones. This is dying breed.
MeeGo is targeted for normal microcomputers, like you are used on your desktop, but in a tiny form factor.

I'm scared to open the refrigerator. ;-)
HaHaHa,You can Open Web Browser to Search Everything and watch your videos/photos and play MP3 in some SAMSUNG refrigerator now.

Last edited by gixx; 2010-08-18 at 09:55.