Notices

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Would it not be better to leave the plugin packages alone and change the mbarcode package to depend on each plugin?

In fact it might even be worth creating a meta package called mbarcode-plugins, and then we can add each plugin to that meta-package to avoid fiddling around with the mbarcode package directly and instead just make it depend on the meta-package.

I'm not sure how the circular dep of the plugins on mbarcode would be handled, but there must be a way to do this cleanly without needing to modify the mbarcode package each time a plugin needs an update.
I believe I tried this once without luck as there was some trouble with circular dependencies. I can have a go at it once more and see if I figure it out, maybe with a meta-package. Circular dependencies seems to be discouraged, but we used to have the mbarcode package depend on the plugins, and the plugins recommend the mbarcode package, but this was changed since it made little sense to install a plugin without having mbarcode installed.

I agree that it is better to be able to update even the main plugins one by one without having to modify the mbarcode every timem but either way, the most important thing is to make sure the user does not have to install every plugin by hand.

The Following User Says Thank You to dragly For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dragly View Post
but either way, the most important thing is to make sure the user does not have to install every plugin by hand.
Agreed, I'll try to pick the minds of some deb masters tomorrow and see what the deal is with "recommends", and what the recommended method is

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Agreed, I'll try to pick the minds of some deb masters tomorrow and see what the deal is with "recommends", and what the recommended method is
That sounds like the best approach I've always been curious about this, as I see Debian are trying to remove their circular deps, but I have no idea what their solution is.

TBH a post to the maemo-devel ml might be the best bet in terms of exposure.

I'll scribble something out tomorrow lunchtime, unless you want to fire something off before then Dragly?

In fact it might even be worth creating a meta package called mbarcode-plugins, and then we can add each plugin to that meta-package to avoid fiddling around with the mbarcode package directly and instead just make it depend on the meta-package.
This is the right idea, except that mbarcode-plugins should depend on mbarcode and not the other way around. I presume mbarcode can operate just fine without plugins, whereas the plugins won't work without mbarcode.

TBH a post to the maemo-devel ml might be the best bet in terms of exposure.

I'll scribble something out tomorrow lunchtime, unless you want to fire something off before then Dragly?
No, feel free to ask them tomorrow

This is the right idea, except that mbarcode-plugins should depend on mbarcode and not the other way around. I presume mbarcode can operate just fine without plugins, whereas the plugins won't work without mbarcode.
The problem is that the plugins provide a huge amount of the main functionality of mbarcode. That is, without the plugins, mbarcode can't do anything with a scanned barcode.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
I have just created the plugin, it loads and works.
The problem is: after Reboot, the applications went mad. File Manager replaced Nokia N900 with <unknown>, Settings put all buttons into Extras section, Quick Launch has lost its memory (forgotten previous settings and cannot remember new settings), X Terminal has lost "Tab" and "Esc" buttons, "Internal error: Application 'Photos' closed" notification appears, virtual keyboard cannot be shown, etc.
I'm now checking part of device's memory by connecting it in Mass Storage Mode and asking Windows to check the drive for errors.
What would you advise?
MBarcode and all its plugins work even in this chaos;-)

EDIT: "The permission of the setuid helper is not correct."
What is this?
Said by osso-product-info and gconftool

EDIT: N900 can live through anything!
I reinstalled DBus and DBus-x11 (downloaded .deb s from maemo.org), and everything is correct! The settings returned!
Now I only need to recharge it: dozen of reboots drained the battery somewhat.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2010-08-18 at 02:35.

Originally Posted by dragly View Post
The problem is that the plugins provide a huge amount of the main functionality of mbarcode. That is, without the plugins, mbarcode can't do anything with a scanned barcode.
But it can still scan a barcode and save the output somewhere. It does not "need" the plugins. If you install the plugins, however, they will do nothing without mbarcode.

I think the problem is that we are trying to use a tool (package dependencies) for something it was not primarily intended for (simplifying add-on installation), which would be fine if it did not require reversing its original meaning completely, something colloquially termed "a hack"

[EDIT] you can always have mbarcode proper tell the user to install the addons, perhaps by providing a button that goes straight to the App manager to install mbarcode-plugins if none exist.

Last edited by wotevah; 2010-08-17 at 23:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotevah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 411 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ southern Italy
<ironic>

Long ago I installed mbarcode only to find out that it was in a pre-pre-prealpha stage (the most funny bug was the use of the ledflash while the camera slide was closed); this is quite weird, because most of the "extras/devel" software is at useable stage. To date, I'm sure this package wins the "Most Installation Conflicts" award; to me, here, it happened only once to update without problems.

</ironic>

This evening I found another update, showing installation conflicts for mbarcode plugins "ii", "qrcode" and "webrequest".

I think it's better to include everything in the main package (mbarcode package size is small; IMHO it doesn't actually need separate plugins packages).

It would be great if I could scan EAN-code from a book and mbarcode would add this book to my google books bookshelf. Or query my bookshelf and inform me if I already have this book.

Would anyone like to write this kind of plugin for mbarcode? Google offers API for it.

http://code.google.com/apis/books/docs/gdata/developers_guide_protocol.html#SharingWithMyLibrar y

Tags
barcode, camera, mbarcode