Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I'm trying not to be offensive, but I can't molly coddle your experience here on tmo. This isn't Reggies' community, it's ours, he runs this forum that we converse on.

I'm not going to ignore my own views and beliefs just to get along with you.

Also, I'm not pals with any mods here really, I'm not even sure who they all are. I've been around here for a while but I've been pretty quiet on tmo since it began, just look at my post count. This is mainly because I've never been to eager to get involved in conversations oriented at the basic user segment of the community.

abill_uk, what would you personally like those of us that are developers to do with the N900? Your questions are so vague as to be pointless, just tell us what you, personally would like to see fixed (try and be realistic) and maybe someone will take the gauntlet. I'm always looking for challanges. So please clarify what you feel needs to be done and stop being so vague all the time. This is why I feel you come across as trollish and evasive.

After reading through all the 20 threads, I can say that this is turning into a real "Maemo Soap Opera"

abill_uk, a simple video showing your USB OTG method working would really be interesting to see.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to doksng For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
This isn't just semantics. abill_uk IS a native English speaker and his choice of separating "community" from "us" gives the appearance of creating two audiences here. Some have asked for clarification and received none.
Just would like to add a comment regarding this point. This separation has become more apparent with the introduction of the N900.

You could theoretically separate "us" and "you" into:

- The recent end-user n900 enthusiasts. Did not really create anything. They also cannot do any "Testing" as they might be using the phone for day-to-day activities and cannot handle any downtime.

- The veteran Maemo or Linux users. They might've created, ported or tested something at some point. They did it just like that. They didn't ask for payment nor cared about how popular the mobile is or who supports it. The N900 might be their primary device. It might not. They don't believe things are "bad" because they can still do what they want to do with the N900 one way or the other.

I think both groups have valid points. I think the only thing the first group can do is just wait and see what the second group comes up with or just moves on to another device.

The second group will just continue to do what they do.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by doksng View Post
After reading through all the 20 threads, I can say that this is turning into a real "Maemo Soap Opera"

abill_uk, a simple video showing your USB OTG method working would really be interesting to see.
Its more like a horrific motorway car crash....i dont want to watch but i just can't look away.

Originally Posted by spanner View Post
Judging by some of your previous timewasting abuses of the moderation system you have only yourself to blame.
wow I missed that one, thx for pointing me there, had a fun read..

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
Just would like to add a comment regarding this point. This separation has become more apparent with the introduction of the N900.

- The recent end-user n900 enthusiasts. Did not really create anything. They also cannot do any "Testing" as they might be using the phone for day-to-day activities and cannot handle any downtime.

- The veteran Maemo or Linux users. They might've created, ported or tested something at some point. They did it just like that. They didn't ask for payment nor cared about how popular the mobile is or who supports it. The N900 might be their primary device. It might not. They don't believe things are "bad" because they can still do what they want to do with the N900 one way or the other.

I think both groups have valid points. I think the only thing the first group can do is just wait and see what the second group comes up with or just moves on to another device.

I agree with your observation-- and if that WAS the intended context, then the developers and other contributors who have been outraged over the thread title and first post have a point. The subject comes across as a demand rather than a request. Again, it would be nice to see that clarified by the OP.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Dear Abill_uk.

You are spreading FUD as usual. Nokia has never stated that "After PR1.3 we are told support for Maemo stops from Nokia."

I stopped reading right there. Go troll somewhere else if you have to. You are far too obsessed with "maybe" futures than with enjoying the N900 for what it is now.
I draw parallels to this thinking and what I read for a long time on the opensolaris forums. there was no official word that opensolaris would not be supported, oracle would not drop the os as it was their fedora with solaris being redhat etc.

seems like people have their heads buried in the sand. enjoy your device for what it has, like a lot of storage, a good though cramped keyboard and some cool apps like easy debian.

but don't doubt that the device has been essentially abandoned.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:

I think this distinction is false. There are naturally a majority of new Maemo users since the N900 came out, and a big number of them (majority?) are simple users with no programming skills, and often no linux knowledge.
This was the same with the N800 and the other NITs, but in that case the percentages were different, as those devices appealed more specifically to linux users, hackers, and a niche which searched for just a tablet.
In that case inexpert users probably were a minority, and they either learned to be part of the community following other's example quietly, or they just took what came out of it. Their device costed also much lesser and had fewer expectations, so, lesser reasons to complain.

I've seen many newcomers to Maemo working on/creating/porting applications; or simply filing bugs and partecipating in design/UI/icons/mods/app testing. A part of these were simple users with no programming skills and no linux knowledge.
They just wanted to do something for the fellow device users, improve their device, and be part of a community of people with some shared interests.

I think it's all up to you, how much you want to be involved, how much time you want to put in it, how long you're prepared to wait for something you want for your device.
No patience/technical capabilities/will? Ignore the community and take what comes...

Last edited by thecursedfly; 2010-08-16 at 17:06. Reason: added a little part at the beginning :p

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London

And there lies the crux of it, most of us end users don't want to and shouldn't have to depend solely on non commercial developers. We should have the opportunity to buy apps created by teams of paid developers. The device itself should be looked to be improved by Nokia so as to be competitive. The community is a bonus and they don't owe anybody anything. Other devices have community hackers and scripters too though.

I know you understand this. And to some extent, us end users should "get over it and face reality". We got screwed during the limited lifespan of the n900. And the next device by being immediately cross compatible with symbian apps and with a bigger Nokia expenditure and focus will probably be better.

I don't think its right that annoyed users bring everyone else down, especially not developers and happy users but I do think they should have an area to vent, give feedback and criticism. Perhaps a debate and discussion area should be made and users can opt out of them appearing on their feed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Can we have some REAL answers that do not mean speculation or could be or would be......... solid answers to the future of our device is VERY much needed here.
what are you going to do for the community besides ranting all day long?

can you give me some REAL lottery numbers for next round?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
blablabla bla, check offenders, community v us, lost dummy, reggie please, show-me-proof, shutupabillpls, wheres-reggie