Active Topics

Guys - You really need to check this product out. Its a UMPC-type (although doesnt fall into that class due to the fact that it has a 5" screen as opposed to 7")...salient features:
  • Connect anywhere with 3G/HSDPA and Wi-Fi, Built-In GPS and stereo Bluetooth 2.0
  • Laptop-style cellular phone with powerful Windows Mobile 6 professional operating system
  • 5-inch VGA LCD touchscreen display and detachable QWERTY keyboard
  • Provides familiar Microsoft tools like Word, Excel, and Outlook
  • Internal 8GB hard drive, expands via miniSD cards; 3-megapixel camera for stills and video
  • Integrated GPS and map software

It's retailing at $859 at amazon (check out the link) http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Advantage-...1167526&sr=8-1

$500 more than the N800, but with so many more features, Built-in GPS and TOM TOM navigator, detachable keyboard.....I AM gonna get this baby. (As soon as my wife authorizes it!!!)

This is the product detail link from HTC http://www.europe.htc.com/products/htcadvantage.html

Comments/Feedback?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
dattani, I highly recommend you to try it out first. At least, make a composite of the dimension with folded paper of some sort. It's huge, the only pocket that it can fit into is the inside pocket of a jacket. Or an oversized cargo pants pockets. But you will probably bruise your thighs with that little brick banging hard against your flesh.

The keyboard is ****.

LOL...is 5" oversized?!!

But yeah...its not a 'pocket companion'....but with a BT headset - u can have it somewhere and use it like a phone/pc etc

Last edited by dattani98; 2007-09-30 at 17:13. Reason: typos

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
5" is not too bad if the width isn't like 4" with a 1" thickness. Ok, I probably exaggerate a little, let me look it up...

Product Dimensions: 5.2 x 3.8 x 0.6 inches ; 12.7 ounces

I was pretty close there. Note that the thickness does not include the magnetic keyboard, which should make it close to 1" when 'docked' with the brick.

Anyhow, I'm no expert, but please just simulate the size & weight with something (betamax tape?) before you purchase it from Amazon. Make sure you're ok with it, because it shocked me the first time I saw it.

Btw, they keyboard is ****.

Last edited by ysss; 2007-09-30 at 18:06. Reason: Added another reminder about the **** keyboard. It's important.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
It's huge, the only pocket that it can fit into is the inside pocket of a jacket.
The Advantage is NOT big. If anything it is too small.

Actually I was looking at hte HTC "Shift" which has a 7" screen... and is supposed to be about the size of 2 DVD cases stacked.

That would be PERFECT. A notebook is WAY too big. The "shift" would be perfect. Although $1500.00 is just WAY too much money.

But I'll probably settle for whatever the new Nokia N800 replacement is... the "Shift" is 4x as much money.

PERSONALY: I think the Nokia N800 is a little bit too small.... a 5" screen would be better. Or wider. I think one of the reasons the N800 hasn't taken off is that it is too small. If I wanted small I'd get a smartphone or an iPod.

If I wanted a REAL UMPC I'd get the "shift" for sure. But really I just want a good browser AND PDF reader. Everything else is fluff.

Personally, I love mine. I agree that the keyboard could be better, but it is actually quite usable. Then again, the one screen keyboard works well, as well as the stylus input, so I generally don't carry rhe keyboard.

Ninja

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Having used one, it's pretty good apart from 2 things. The browser is a joke compared to Opera on the n800 (although minimo is available which is better) and the lousy screen resolution of 640x480 - you can't use it for havy browsing because of the resolution. Wait for the HTC Omni (discussed elsewhere here); that's got an 800x480 resolution, probably the minimum for "serious" browsing.

The killers for me.

1. Windows Mobile 6. Crappy browser. Weak OS.
2. 8Gb ram. What the heck! In today's age of cheap memory this thing should come with at least 16Gb...probably 32Gb.
3. $850 price tag. That makes it one expensive toy.

With the Intel MID's on the horizon, running Linux, I will wait. Hopefully competition will drive prices down where they are competitive with laptops....$400-$600....vs. $800 to $1200.

hmmm....it is rather pricey....Thanks for your comments!! I'm probably gonna wait and see what else comes out in the near future

That beast is the follow-up to the one marketed as "Ameo" by T-Mobile. Get it with a phone upgrade.