Active Topics

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Can't sue people for stuff that barely works despite claims otherwise people would sue Microsoft every damn day.
They are covered by their EULAs which says that MS would not be responsible for anything that happens to you or your computer or anything else as a result of using their malware.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
Oh.
I've heard in America you can sue someone for almost anything, think I'd have any luck over there?
Lately, we've been leaving the flippant lawsuits to the EU/EC. Keep up the good work!

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
I just had an idea maybe why the Ovi store for N900 sucks so badly (it isn't that bad for other Nokia devices, right?).

It could be so that Nokia never intended to make a big effort for the Ovi store on N900. Maybe they regarded the N900 as the Maemo Linux experiment it's proven to be, and that they considered the 'extras' (community development) repositories as the kind of place the N900 users would primarily go to for applications and games, instead of the Ovi store.
It's just a theory, but I do agree it sucks bigtime, especially since the N900 both as a concept and from a hardware point of view had such a big potential. I still love the device, but I'm angry at Nokia for their short lived sorry *** strategy decisions and lack of care for their customers. It's kind of arrogant in a way.

Last edited by Larswad; 2010-08-12 at 07:17. Reason: spelling

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Lately, we've been leaving the flippant lawsuits to the EU/EC. Keep up the good work!
There really isn't any "EC" any more as both EC (and old EEC) is simply "EU" now after the Treaty of Lisbon.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Originally Posted by smoku View Post
First time I tried uploading content, the site hinted me that I need to upload .install file. Cool - I uploaded one. One week later I got feedback from QA, that I need to upload .deb file. Great - one week of waiting for nothing.
Out of academic curiosity, what exactly have you uploaded the first time? =)

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by vlg View Post
Ovi is not designed to support N900 well.
Very nice explanation, thanks!

It also shows the great big typical issue this "community" has: the complete, utter, total absence of Nokia in these discussions.

Where are Quim and Jussi in all this? Why do they only show up if they have a bone to throw at us? (read: a device to sell)
When does Nokia learn that they themselves must play an active part in the community if they really want this ecosystem to succeed? (and not just in the hardcore OS-development communtiy!)

Or are we just in the wrong place and all devs should move to Forum Nokia?

Working hard on apps for this platform is only fun because of the tinkering possible - but it just isn't encouraging from a standpoint of support, communication, sustainability and encouragement.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
There really isn't any "EC" any more as both EC (and old EEC) is simply "EU" now after the Treaty of Lisbon.
Really? This article and this article among many others still use it after 2007, which according to the Treaty of Lisbon should have stopped.

Cool to know though. I learned something.

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
its a shame that developers have so many problems at uploading apps to ovi store.
its ike ovi WOULD HAVE TO BE CRAP
and nobody could make it better....

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Can't sue people for stuff that barely works despite claims otherwise people would sue Microsoft every damn day.
I know it's off topic but I really can't stand the trendy microsoft bashing.

[rant]
If people sued microsoft, they would get laughed out of court and pointed to the manufacturer of their hardware and or their own negligence. Microsoft products, folks, work on millions of hardware configuration. What are we comparing this too? Apple? They make a grand total of 6-7 pieces of hardware that run their desktop OS, and it's STILL not bug free either. And they build their own hardware. They have no excuse.
[/rant]

Back on topic. The Ovi store sucks. It was never meant in ernest to be a real market for developers it seems. We can only hope Meego will fare better in this regard.

2d

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
You think putting the new name sticker on top will fix things?

Tags
ovi store