Active Topics

It seems to me that charging the thing might remove some of the convenience. Imagine driving with the GPS dangling from the keychain as the key is in the ignition, with the car charge cable running from your lighter socket to the GPS. I suppose it'd be fine if you just charge it at home overnight.

Also, I wonder how good the GPS reception is from under the steering column.

Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
Does anybody know a cheap but good GPS that hasd both BlueTooth and Serial and/or USB?
I'm looking for one for using with my N800 but also with my FON and Linksys WRT.
The Holux 236 has an optional cable that gives you serial (over USB, I think) connectivity. Probably available for their other models, too.

I wish for a combination of that tiny keyring GPS and that other one mentioned, the WBT200, i.e. a keyring GPS with logging functionality.

The general problem is that a small GPS gets limited battery capacity.. 16 hours would have beeen so much more useful than 8!

Originally Posted by ioan View Post
I have this one:
http://www.wintec.com.tw/GPS/bluetoothgps/WBT200.htm
and is almost as small as the one you posted... and is a logger too. Comes with software (you can download the logger data to google earth). Works fine with maemo mapper.
I have just bought Zycast 289 data logger, same principle as above but whilst N800 can see 289 it is unable to pair and yes i have checked passcode.
I thought BT was a standard and everything should work..
Is there a solution?

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Give it another year and battery capacity could be solved by this >> http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20050194926.html

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I don't know diddely-all about GPS modules, but would this thingamajiggie work with the N-ITs?

https://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P0...687&t_mode=des

It just looks so dang-diddely-dang cute...
Thats exactly what I was searching for.. hope someone will be able to confirm whether or not it works with the N800.. price in Norway didn't seem that bad, for once ;-)

mvh

No guarantees of course, but I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine with the N800. It supports NMEA 0183, for example (the standard, common denominator protocol) and more. It's got a SiRF Star III chip, which is one of the better ones. Bluetooth 2.0.

I've been close to ordering one myself, the only issue I have is that I would like more than 9 hours of battery capacity.. but that's the price for the small (and very nice!) size. The 16-hour GPS units are all larger than this one.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
This makes me wish they'd left the gps out of the N810.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I've been close to ordering one myself, the only issue I have is that I would like more than 9 hours of battery capacity.. but that's the price for the small (and very nice!) size. The 16-hour GPS units are all larger than this one.
It charges via USB, so any emergency battery charger with a USB adapter should be able to provide several recharges (provided they didn't pull a "Zen" and made the thingie check if it's connected to a "real" computer port. Still, that should provide us with an opportunity for some happy USB soldering ).

Yeah, I'll probably going to order one for myself after all. It would be just so convenient to have a GPS always available. My TomTom GPS has a big magnet (very nice for my all-metal-inside car but bad for random storage in pockets near credit cards), and a power-on button that is all too easy to accidentally touch. So I never carry it around.