Active Topics

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Berkeley, CA
There is no fix per se. We either need to use VPN or Proxy. In my case, OpenVPN or FreeProxy with the server being always-on HP MediaServer running Windows Home Server (WHS).

I have not been able to do either due to lack of clear instruction and/or clear understanding and skill

where are the kind and caring saviors?

One thing I am proposing is, let our concerns heard in the community and ask developers to make their product proxy aware.

This part of the code should not be difficult to write. Let's take initiative to do the following things:

1. Identify what apps cannot be run without proxy support in our N900/N810 etc.. So far The One Ring, DialCentral, system's app manager, gPodder, etc.

2. Get resouces to help with the issue and write generic codes to deal with proxy so other app developers can easily plug it into their apps.

Many of us here are developers so if anyone is familiar with proxy support for those apps, please chime in.

Thanks.

A bug was created fot The One Ring. Please add your comment if you wanted to get this fixed asap:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10901

N900; Maemo 5 PR 1.2

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by sela View Post
Does the sidekick+proxy trick still works for any of you (for t-mobile in the U.S)?

I tried it today, tried several public proxies, each using a different port (tested the proxies on my PC, and they all work), but I couldn't connect anywhere.
I am typing this using the Tor Status Area Applet and a new $15 a month plan just announced by Tmobile. It appears to be just like the Pay by the Day plan, as if you choose it for 30 days EXCEPT that at $15 it's half the cost.

So I apparently don't need to switch to the Sidekick plan to get Internet access now. It took me a heck of a long time and some messing around to get Tor to connect. Some mysterious changes are afoot, but I am still happy.

CORRECTION: My cheery message above might be wrong, I discovered immediately after sending it. I am investigating now and will post a clarification. It appears that I accidently did something tricky that helped till I got a TTL EXPIRED message a bit later.

UPDATE: I switched to the Sidekick plan and am typing from it. However, I am not sure right now what that did to the $15 a month plan I just signed up for. All I can say for certain is that the Sidekick plan is working for me. As always, I am using Tor and my N900 settings are NOT set to say I am using Proxy (in the Internet Connections Advanced settings). More info to come as available.

Last edited by geneven; 2010-07-28 at 10:38.

I can no longer switch to the Sidekick plan from my phone, either by dialing 611 or by going to wap.t-zones.com. I can switch to the other prepaid plans, but Sidekick isn't listed any more. From my computer, I can go to my.t-mobile.com, and Sidekick is still listed - but I can't get to my.t-mobile.com from my phone when it's on PAYG. I've tried wap.voicestream.com, hiptop.t-mobile.com, and epc.t-mobile.com. They get the SSL cert, but the page never loads.

Is there another trick for changing plans from my phone?

Nazrax:

I have no problem changing to Sidekick from my N900. I can't imagine what you see when you look ao the Prepaid tables at my.t-mobile.com. There are two tables. You are saying that the one listing Pay as you go and Pay by the day doesn't list Sidekick at all?

So when you go to my.t-mobile.com from a desktop computer you CAN change to Sidekick?

In other news:

I am doing fine with the $15 plan mentioned above. Once I had to reboot to connect to the Internet, but in general things improved over the temporary problems reported above. I wonder if the fixed version of the Tor status program solved my problem -- Tor seems to connect faster now.

So if I have this correct. I can get a prepaid sidekick plan for my N900. Then use proxy servers to get around all the stuff the plan will not allow me to do?

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Originally Posted by Croman777 View Post
So if I have this correct. I can get a prepaid sidekick plan for my N900. Then use proxy servers to get around all the stuff the plan will not allow me to do?
Here is my setup:
I have on the office computer (windows computer which stays always on) openssh and privoxy. Open ssh listens to port 1194 (probably any other ports will work). On my phone, I created 2 scripts, first one is in
/etc/network/if-up.d
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Start ssh tunnel for GPRS.

set -e

if [ "$IFACE" = lo ]; then
	exit 0
fi

if [ "$MODE" != start ]; then
	exit 0
fi

if [ "$ICD_CONNECTION_TYPE" != GPRS ]; then
	exit 0
fi

ssh -p1194 -NL 8118:localhost:8118 user@111.111.111.111 &

exit 0
(replace 1194 with whatever port you want to use, 'user' with the user on your computer and 111.111... with your computer's IP)

and the other one in
/etc/network/if-down.d
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Stop ssh tunnel for GPRS.

pkill -x ssh
When I connect to the internet using GPRS, the ssh tunnel starts automatically (and ends when I disconnect).

Here are some links that will show you how to install sshd on your desktop:
http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html
http://www.plenz.com/tunnel-everything
http://magicmonster.com/kb/net/ssh/auto_login.html

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ioan For This Useful Post:
Geneven, does the $15 monthly plan work just like the sidekick plan did i.e. unlimited internet via tor or a proxy?

BTW, I THINK the sidekick data plan option is dead. Nazrax mentioned that he wasn't given the sidekick data plan option except when he tried switching plans from his PC via my.t-mobile.com. It seems things might have changed since then as I no longer get the sidekick option on my.t-mobile.com. The options listed there are:
1) monthly prepaid $50
2) monthly prepaid $15
3) PAYG
4) Pay by the day

also, no mention of sidekick data plan on
http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaid-plans.aspx
The sidekick data plan option used to be mentioned under the 'more prepaid plans' section but it isn't there anymore. You just get the same 4 options mentioned above.

At the bottom of that page, under 'other services available', a 'webdata hour pass' service is listed:
Web access—Data HourPass $0.99 for one hour of unlimited Web access.
Available on select phones.
This appears to be new.

Sidekick 15¢/minute Unlimited (text only) 15¢/minute 15¢/minute 15¢/minute nationwide calls $1.00/day Choose this plan

The above is listed on MY my.t-mobile page. It's listed under OTHER prepaid plans, which is pretty much where it was alwayslisted.

By the way, if you sign up for the ipv6 beta test, you get Internet access without using Tor, and it's fast.

I am currently using the $15 monthly plan and that was enough for me to be eligible for the beta test program. It works great. There's a thread about it.

So, the statement that the Sidekick plan is dead appears to be false.

Now, to answer the question about the $15 plan. Results are inconsistent as to whether it comes with Internet access like the Sidekick plan does. I think it's not supposed to.

But the ipv6 beta + the $15 monthly plan is a really good deal for right now. A really super-duper ultra good deal. I don't know how many they are letting in to the beta test -- get them while they are hot! I hope I can keep mine forever.

Last edited by geneven; 2010-08-26 at 22:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post: