Active Topics

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Is that resistive touch or capacitative touch?
Does it support multi touch?

Seems good for an in-house entertainment to play media/crApps/photo viewer.
One article said resistive...one said capacitive...so...uh..not sure
No idea about multi-touch.
Will trek to K-Mart this weekend to see if I can pick one up to play with.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Hmm shouldn't this be in competitors section not alternatives?

None-the-less this does look like an intriguing product, get it running Maemo and I'll really be interested. That said what is the likely hood its an outdated CPU being unstably overclocked to 800MHz (as opposed to a decent CPU)?

The Following User Says Thank You to IzzehO For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by IzzehO View Post
Hmm shouldn't this be in competitors section not alternatives?
You're right, I placed it in the wrong category.

If a moderator see this, please move the thread to "Competitors".
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The first photos of a 'live one' are now in:
http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/27...d-tablet-pics/

Comes with a USB cable (USB port?), seems to have a resistive screen.

These comments from one poster (no idea how credible they are), are sort of interesting if true:
"The real story here must be that Apple is trying to kill the Android tablet movement as quick as possible. I managed to get SetCPU installed and it shows Telechips TCC89/91/92xx Demo Board Revision 0000 Serial Number 000000000000000

The min freq is 36 Mhz (it runs at that quite a bit). The max is 600mhz.

The Kernel was built by Kevin on Sun Jul 25 15:04:19 HKT 2010 (Seems strange to me there...)

The About screen says...

Model Number: Android for Telechips TCC8900 Evaluation Board (US)
Firmware Version: 2.1-update1
Baseband Vision: SimulatedCommands (The telco comes up as El Telco Loco) The Crazy Telco.
Kernel Version 2.6.29 kevin@localhost #115
Build Number: telechips_tcc8900_us_eng 2.1-update1 ECLAIR eng.huangjidong.20100721.190326 test-keys

So, in summary. This appears to be a ploy to kill android tablets before they start. This is a horrible device. The touchscreen is pretty much unresponsive and comes with a stylus (you have to press hard). I was unable to find the calibration application the manual talks about."

And, here is a hands-on VIDEO: http://theandroidblog.com/content/16...78-tablet.html

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Andover, Mn, USA
I actually picked on up today... It is not bad sometimes quick sometimes laggy... resistive screen (very resistive at times...). As stated earlier there are some really weird things with this install. The best part is the web browser which works nicely... I can not get any marketplace apps to actually download they just hang. The device seems to be in roam mode with E (edge I assume -- with no signal bars) but the r has full bars and the service is labeled El Telco Loco... There are some development icons but I do not know what is normal for Android -- the live wallpapers work. When I went to install the microsd it fell into the case as the slot is not lined up correctly.... So upon opening it up the battery is 2100 mAH 8.4v GB/T18287-2000 and it has an Atheros ROCm AR6102G-BM20 or close the printing was very small. Fun to play with a bit but no volume buttons just home, search, back, menu. I can get into the recovery mode but can not select anything.... The battery is connected / soldered right to the board (2 wires but no connector). 4 screws at the corners and many (now broken) tabs around the edges. Model number is NBA7800ATP in case that means anything.

hope this is helpful. If anyone has questions let me know and I will try to answer them...

This seems like a partial install of Android as the menus did not really match a friends Incredible (maybe it should not I do not know).

wowsher

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wowsher For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wowsher View Post
I actually picked on up today... It is not bad sometimes quick sometimes laggy... resistive screen (very resistive at times...). As stated earlier there are some really weird things with this install. The best part is the web browser which works nicely... I can not get any marketplace apps to actually download they just hang. The device seems to be in roam mode with E (edge I assume -- with no signal bars) but the r has full bars and the service is labeled El Telco Loco... There are some development icons but I do not know what is normal for Android -- the live wallpapers work. When I went to install the microsd it fell into the case as the slot is not lined up correctly.... So upon opening it up the battery is 2100 mAH 8.4v GB/T18287-2000 and it has an Atheros ROCm AR6102G-BM20 or close the printing was very small. Fun to play with a bit but no volume buttons just home, search, back, menu. I can get into the recovery mode but can not select anything.... The battery is connected / soldered right to the board (2 wires but no connector). 4 screws at the corners and many (now broken) tabs around the edges. Model number is NBA7800ATP in case that means anything.

hope this is helpful. If anyone has questions let me know and I will try to answer them...

This seems like a partial install of Android as the menus did not really match a friends Incredible (maybe it should not I do not know).

wowsher
1) How does it 'feel' (meaning build quality)?

2) How is the virtual keyboard?

3) Have you tried streaming a movie/youtube?

4) Is it possible to stream Netflix movies to it?

5) It's a bit of a worry to hear that you can't connect/download apps from the marketplace. Temporary bug or does it persist?

6) Did you play any game on it to see how well the screen interacts with game features?

7) WiFi connection strong?

8) Have you gotten any sense of battery life?

9) Multi touch?

10) Flash support?

11) Is this covered by the 90 day return policy?

12) And finally...will you keep it/was/is it worth the $150?

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-07-28 at 04:02.

Good user video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfha5r6law0

I might be naive, but at the end of that video...I still want one

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-07-28 at 04:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Andover, Mn, USA
A quick update... As shipped the screen was not calibrated well and felt slow... I was able to hard reset (home-back-power button I think worked) and it reset to completely vanilla android. The touch screen actually works ok but it is far far from the quality of the n810/n900 screens. Yes I am keeping it. I still can not get the market to download anything... the download dialog starts but never gets anything then says there was a network problem. The battery seems decent as I browsed via wifi for a couple hours and it was still at least 2/3 to 3/4 full by the icon. Not certain on the return policy as I was never planning on returning... build quality is ok but not everything lines up (like the microsd slot deal). It feels solid and has a reset button (which I used a few times trying to do a hard reset). The headphone jack is the really small one (1.8?) not the standard. It does run some kind of flash but I have not played any youtubes yet.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wowsher For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wowsher View Post
I still can not get the market to download anything... the download dialog starts but never gets anything then says there was a network problem.
I've read that a lot of the low-cost tablets coming out now doesn't work with the Android market and you have to use alternative means to getting to the apps. One option is to use SlideMe

Wow sounds pretty cheap even for a $150 tablet...