Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Reflektorfalke View Post
@SirTurbo: Of course you should use whatever approach you feel more comfortable with. But it would be nice if you could test PBAP and let us know about your results. Every input is helpful...
I had an nightly attack of the wish to "work" and went to the car

Had to update my car kit several times. (Donīt know why, i thought that i updated to that-time-latest-version when first trying to sync phonebook in December)
First problem: car kit updated only to second last firmware - after that no more connection to the update manager. So perhaps problems with the car kit are solved but i cannot test it - so it isnt sure if probs are made by mobile phone or by car kit.
But OPP seems to work (only with vcard 2.1, not with vcard3.0). not perfect, still some things to do (naming of phone numbers when the contact has several of them f.e.) - but it works... next days i will see if it is "usable" now with n900... bury added some nice features, they seem to like their customers - seems to be different to nokia^^ (update problem reported - waiting for answer)

But now to the big point: PBAP...
First i tried to read phone book several times... every time i got "successfull" - but the phone book in my car kit was still empty. Then i played again with opp.
when i after that tried again to import whole pb (via PBAP) - i got an error that contacts could not be pulled and they have to be pushed by phone?
After that i startet the dump and tried again.
In the dump there is nothing about x-bt/phonebook when opened in wireshark.
But as i tried the download only one or two times (didnt want to create a large dump) i am not sure if this is 100% precise. So i think that i will have to try again when having time.
Attached Files
File Type: txt cc9060.txt (265 Bytes, 109 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to SirTurbo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Guys, there is one thing I noted during testing but forget to mention:
Even though PBAP is obviuosly working in general, my N900 still shows my car as device type "freehand" and a little headphone symbol (my old symbian phone showed a little car symbol) and in the device properties/details only HFP and OFP are listed as supported profiles for my car.

Guess its just a cosmetic detail, but if one of you Guys finds a way to fix this it would be nice..

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Delft, Netherlands
Tested the PC-suite connection to the N900 using both stock and custom obex versions.

Procedure:
1 - pc-suite not started
2 - connect phone via USB
3 - press PC-suite button on N900
4 - start pc-suite.

See attached tarball containing three logs:

pc-suite-stock-success: succesful connection with pc-suite, N900 using stock maemo packages for libopenobex and obexd.

pc-suite-custom-fail1 and -fail2: pc-suite failed to connect, N900 using custom versions of libopenobex and obexd (the "PBAP-versions").

I don't understand everything in the logs, this is what I think I do understand:

Connecting cable and pressing PC-suite is visible in the logs. The faillogs contain quite some "unsupported method" events. These errors often come up when library versions don't match the applications using them. Multiple services report problems and/or fail. Solving this might lead to a cascade of package updates, with every update solving one problem and creating another.

I'm thinking about backporting PBAP to the obex versions used by Maemo. It might be more difficult technically, but with some luck, everything is contained within the obex package. That means less risk to other parts of the system, and it is easier to manage.

Eric.
Attached Files
File Type: gz pc-suite-syslog.tar.gz (6.8 KB, 91 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuxy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tuxy View Post
I'm thinking about backporting PBAP to the obex versions used by Maemo. It might be more difficult technically, but with some luck, everything is contained within the obex package. That means less risk to other parts of the system, and it is easier to manage.

Eric.
Before you think of backporting it, you should test, whether pcsuite works with the original obexd and openobex 1.5.
Because if it does not work with openobex 1.5 you cannot use the async access to ebook.

The Following User Says Thank You to hschmitt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Hi Everyone!

Please Note:

This thread is now summarized in Post #1 of a new thread regarding Bluetooth PBAP support.
From now on, please continue discussions regarding PBAP in the new thread...

Thank you!

Last edited by Reflektorfalke; 2010-07-25 at 16:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reflektorfalke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Delft, Netherlands
Originally Posted by hschmitt View Post
Before you think of backporting it, you should test, whether pcsuite works with the original obexd and openobex 1.5.
Because if it does not work with openobex 1.5 you cannot use the async access to ebook.
Thank you. I didn't know about the lack of async ebook support in the stock openobex libs. I tested the configuration you suggested (upgraded lib, original obexd) and was quite happy to see pc-suite connecting to the phone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tuxy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 197 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
My carkit does not supp\ort PBAP, but instead uses IrMC SYNC to get the contact list.

I created a basic IRMC YSN server plugin for obexd that only supports full phoenbook transfer. It works pretty well in my case.

If anyone is interested to test I'll can make it available

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ St.Petersburg, Russia
Originally Posted by mirakels View Post
My carkit does not supp\ort PBAP, but instead uses IrMC SYNC to get the contact list.

I created a basic IRMC YSN server plugin for obexd that only supports full phoenbook transfer. It works pretty well in my case.

If anyone is interested to test I'll can make it available
i'm interested to test it My Parrot work only with IRMC i think.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
ok here it is. You probably need libopenobex-1.5 to make it run properly (see post 70 for a link).

This obexd is based on the latest trunk (0.29).

This is a version that uses the ebook phonebook backend. As far as I see it only grabs one phonenumber per contact. It also contains a lot of debugging info.

Many of my contacts have more numbers so I also use a different backend but that requires some additional steps. But first lets see if things get started this way.

Please run it with debugging on and running hcidump on the background so we can analyse problems afterwards.
To capture the obexd logging you also need the sysklogd package (apt-get install sysklogd).

put the obexd.ebook.gz file on your n900 and gunzip it.

Kill the currently running obexd (killall obexd)

As root start the new obex and hcidump as

obexd.ebook --debug --irmc --opp --ftp --pcsuite --pbap --symlinks --root .obex-root --root-setup /usr/bin/obex-root-setup --capability !/usr/bin/gen-obex-capability.sh

hcidump -w hci_irmc.log

In case of problems please post the hci-irmc.log and the relevant part out of /var/log/syslog
Attached Files
File Type: gz obexd.ebook.gz (154.9 KB, 108 views)

Originally Posted by tuxy View Post
Thank you. I didn't know about the lack of async ebook support in the stock openobex libs. I tested the configuration you suggested (upgraded lib, original obexd) and was quite happy to see pc-suite connecting to the phone.
I wrote to the bluez and obexd mailing list about the pcsuite problem and got a promising reply:
First thanks a lot for this feedback, I wasn't aware that there were
somebody trying to use newer version of obexd in N900, I will take a
look how I can make usb compatible with N900, actually it should be
just as bluetooth and work no matter which platform you are using but
we are not there yet

In the meantime you can try reverting the patch bellow and see if it helps:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=bluetooth/o...ba545cc41dd382