Active Topics

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Could someone make a widget or something for this, and using the method that 9000 suggested? I would, if I could lol.

Originally Posted by moepda View Post
@jonWW... tried your version but unfortunately it freezes my phone , screen goes black and only working option is turn off with long press of power button. original version seems ok but yours gives me problems im afraid , cheers anyway though
Now you have rebooted try my version again and see if it works for you this time, could indicate other problems with your phone... let me explain:

There is nothing different about my version instruction wise.
Windows uses Character 13 then Character 10 (Hex 0D 0A) as a new line
Linux Character 10 (Hex 0A) as a new line.
That's the only difference.

For me Linux was adding the Windows Character 13 to each command and as process's names don't have Character 13 at the end of them, no process was found to kill. Hence my version.

Sorry it didn't work for you but as my version is the correct way for Linux to read and clearly it worked for you as processes are been killed on your phone. Judging by your description I would think something else is happening to your phone (so be careful).

I'm thinking that even though this script is a great idea it doesn't cover all problems and I find I still need to reboot, so it should be used with caution.
Perhaps restarting killed processes would be a better way to proceed.
Perhaps even with a sleep time in-between each command to give restarted processes time to recover.
Also changing the order of commands might be helpful; as this script, despite killing hildon-home, which normally sorts out my Media-Player Widget problem, doesn't fix the Media-Player Widget problem, for me at least as I still have to run "killall hildon-home" manually after.

I also have seen my phone, only after using this script, max out the possessor, yet Conky/htop showed NO processes demanding excessive CPU cycles (very strange). cpumem-applet/Conky/htop all showed the CPU running flat out and the phone became warm to the touch and incredibly unresponsive (a minute or two to switch between the only two open apps, email and the browser from the dashboard). Almost pulled the battery as I'm overclocking at 1150Mhz and it took a long time to just activate a reboot.

Anyway I feel I'm heading for a reflash soon...

The Following User Says Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ United Kingdom
cheers for your reply jonWW must say im somewhat nervous now !!! but if it goes badly wrong fingers crossed reflash should fix will be careful though...

thinking further should post more detail of this, process made screen go black as if locked , using power button would show unlock screen which i could use but once unlocked screen all messed up like dark, if press power button task window shows (turn off,offline mode etc) but was black so unreadable and stuck on screen,if use lock on side of phone only shows messed screen with stuck task window so could only turn off , am wondering if i should wait longer to see if screen restarts as maybe process not turned on yet ?

Last edited by moepda; 2010-07-26 at 15:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to moepda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
I'm thinking that even though this script is a great idea it doesn't cover all problems and I find I still need to reboot, so it should be used with caution.
Perhaps restarting killed processes would be a better way to proceed.
Perhaps even with a sleep time in-between each command to give restarted processes time to recover.
Also changing the order of commands might be helpful; as this script, despite killing hildon-home, which normally sorts out my Media-Player Widget problem, doesn't fix the Media-Player Widget problem, for me at least as I still have to run "killall hildon-home" manually after.
My strong suggestion would be instead of mass killall'ing many different apps/processes in a row, identify just those which actually do leak memory and impact performance, and then kill/restart them in right way, ie. with dsmetool or /etc/init.d script where possible, rather than blunt killall.

The Following User Says Thank You to evad For This Useful Post:
cheers for your reply jonWW must say im somewhat nervous now !!! but if it goes badly wrong fingers crossed reflash should fix will be careful though...
Yeah I know what you mean. Don't know what caused my CPU max out never seen that before, don't know if the CPU has any thermal protection to reboot the phone if it gets too hot.

thinking further should post more detail of this, process made screen go black as if locked , using power button would show unlock screen which i could use but once unlocked screen all messed up like dark, if press power button task window shows (turn off,offline mode etc) but was black so unreadable and stuck on screen,if use lock on side of phone only shows messed screen with stuck task window so could only turn off , am wondering if i should wait longer to see if screen restarts as maybe process not turned on yet ?
Mine didn't take long to restart everything, it was also obvious that thing were happening as nothing got stuck and soon the phone was back to normal... or not!

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ United Kingdom
will try another 1 time to see but if fails wont risk again !! although flashing may fix got so many mods to stuff would take forever to get back

The Following User Says Thank You to moepda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by ddiscodave View Post
okay i started off by running the original file. when i ran it i got the message that there was nothing to kill. if i read into that correctly i would assume that either the programs that the script references are not running and this script is useless to me OR there is something i am doing wrong where the the script isnt hitting on the supposedly open programs that the script references that should be closed to be able to speed the phone up.

i then figured on the most recent file that quits the script after it runs and i suppose that it is still running the script without killing the programs but just closing afterwards.

am i doing something wrong? i saw that another person had similar issue but i didnt see the response. anything on this would help. thanks !!

sorry to bug you guys about this but i havent seen it answered yet..... any input would be helpful thanks!

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kuwait
@ddiscodave
This scripts does Kill programs that are running in the background and refreshing them, Basically, If it doesn't one of these programs, it will say not found.

Don't worry, It's saying not found is good because you are running it alright, The most important thing that it says at the end, Your .. Optimized.

Now you are using it on your system where you still don't need it, But if you open the internet and a lot of sites, and play musics, and all those stuff, then maybe your system will slow down, that you need to do a reboot or restart, this script makes things easier so there is no need to reboot just run this and it will give some type of refresh to your system to be faster and free up some ram and stuff like that.

Now if you want the same script, but a one that even if it didn't find the process it doesn't tell you, check out my post number 143. I hope you got it!

The Following User Says Thank You to q8phantom For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by q8phantom View Post
@ddiscodave
This scripts does Kill programs that are running in the background and refreshing them, Basically, If it doesn't one of these programs, it will say not found.

Don't worry, It's saying not found is good because you are running it alright, The most important thing that it says at the end, Your .. Optimized.

Now you are using it on your system where you still don't need it, But if you open the internet and a lot of sites, and play musics, and all those stuff, then maybe your system will slow down, that you need to do a reboot or restart, this script makes things easier so there is no need to reboot just run this and it will give some type of refresh to your system to be faster and free up some ram and stuff like that.

Now if you want the same script, but a one that even if it didn't find the process it doesn't tell you, check out my post number 143. I hope you got it!
Thanks for your comments
I have seen many differents behaviours of this script from differents user that have shared their experiences and most of them who have bad experiences have tried an edited script. Don't know what is going wrong on them but my original script have pass very hard tests for 2 months. The only script that I agree is fine is yours for the addition of the "- q" parameter. Just that the line "killall -q hildon-home" is enabled and that may erase all widgets and that is why it was disabled at first place.

The Following User Says Thank You to JorgeFX For This Useful Post:

Tags
faster, reflash, refresh, script-a-brick, sell it