Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
well the Problem is that nobody from Nokia or here at the Forum cares about the Problem we have. When i hear screenprotector sorry i dont use one but i got telling the Problem since the Frist FW Release for the N900. I did Opend a Bug about this it was merged into another Bug in the PR 1.2 Specifications the Bug was announced to be fixed.. Nothing is fixed.

But to Post this here leads you to nowhere you wont get any Help you get killed by these we dont have a Problem becouse we are great Linux Hackers and just useing installed Debian and are only working from the Terminal couse we are soo cool..

Did anybody tried to send the N900 back to Nokia with a good Error Description? What will they do they cant fix the Problem will they Refund? If this would work i would send it back.

Last edited by crown77; 2010-07-22 at 20:11.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
Yes it is an annoying problem. And I am not a "whiner"... this is one of the very few things that bugs me about my N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kajko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Sorry are you suggesting that all android phones suffer from the same bugs? Surely the software issue here is a problem with Nokia. If someone else had released a maemo phone would it have suffered all the same tons of bugs in the N900? I would be suprised if that was the case. If all meego phones are going to have the same software bugs irrespective of the device manufacturer then maybe I should seriously consider just jumping to android now because from what I can tell it doesn't suffer from the loaded bugs I get on n900.
HTC != android (or any OS for that matter) that was my point.

OTOH yes Maemo is Nokia and many would argue that Nokia should get out of software altogether much like HTC. But Meego is different in the respect that the vanilla image and reference UX have not been developed by Nokia (although the community edition for the n900 is likely to contain Nokia's Harmattan UX). I for one think that the Meego experience will be drastically different than Maemo... for better or for worse

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
And the phone doesn't seem capable of recognising a change of orientation when the screen is blanked. It's always:

* take phone away form ear & hold in landscape
* screen comes back on
* WHOA! wrong orientation!
* screen goes off again
* screen comes back on a couple of seconds later in landscape mode.
* maybe those clicks you made while the display was jumping around registered - maybe they didn't. Who knows!

It's as though it doesn't bother to check the accelerometer until after it's unblanked the screen (& made the wrong choice).

It's painfully clumsy with an overclocked kernel & no tasks running. Truly the phone user experience is prehistoric!

The Following User Says Thank You to spanner For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
this is why you force the phone app to use portrait mode all the time.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
It wasn't meant to be bought, Nokia even said so themselves. Only most people only found that out after they bought it.
Don't get me wrong - I really love this device. It's just that the phone aspect sucks beyond my wildest - low - expectations.

The Following User Says Thank You to spanner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ New Hampshire, US
Originally Posted by ZShakespeare View Post
this is why you force the phone app to use portrait mode all the time.
And it will still go to landscape when you open the hw keyboard. So locking it to portrait seems to be the way to go.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Hey guys,

I can understand your reasons, but of all, only about 5 posts are actually helping the OP's question.
Pretty bad rate, but fortunately we did let him know about the solution.

Could you please move algong and continue flaming in another thread, and keep the off-topic stuff from here?

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ireland
Ok Im i suppose re-activating this thread....there is no solution in this thread for the OP and my problem.

Locking the orientation to landscape does not fix this issue as most of the time the issue is that the screen does not wake up, i.e stays blank.

I have been in so many meetings where i forgot to mute the phone, it rings and i cant cancel the feckin call, i actually have to whip the battery out. People looking at me and asking what am i doing...i tell them im just putting it on silent......its a linux phone dont you know i tell them....its a feature.

All joking aside is there no app that would allow the answering of calls by sliding out the keyboard or pushing the camera button ??

Thanks in advance

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by colm.smyth View Post
Ok Im i suppose re-activating this thread....there is no solution in this thread for the OP and my problem.

Locking the orientation to landscape does not fix this issue as most of the time the issue is that the screen does not wake up, i.e stays blank.

I have been in so many meetings where i forgot to mute the phone, it rings and i cant cancel the feckin call, i actually have to whip the battery out. People looking at me and asking what am i doing...i tell them im just putting it on silent......its a linux phone dont you know i tell them....its a feature.

All joking aside is there no app that would allow the answering of calls by sliding out the keyboard or pushing the camera button ??

Thanks in advance
I did not look the rest of the thread but your problem seems to be the proximity sensor.

First of all please test if your sensor is working by running the following command in Xterminal:

Code:
while true; do cat /sys/devices/platform/gpio-switch/proximity/state; done
To test try to block and unblock the sensor with your finger. 'open' means nothing in front of the sensor, 'close' otherwise.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:

Tags
just shoot me, troll alert, troll bashing