Active Topics

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
some highlights:

American domestic mobile industry analysts are very much behind the times, when it comes to mobile telecoms. This is due to no fault of their own - they are very competent and hungry for information and are doing a professional job. But it is the US domestic market which has stagnated, fallen years behind the world leaders, driven now by true industry dinosaurs like the carriers Sprint, AT&T, Verizon. Note that almost all traditional major mobile tech vendors from North America have gone bust including Palm, Lucent, Nortel and now Motorola which was in the process of splitting into two. American mobile telecoms is so far behind, it took outsiders like Apple and Google to come and revitalize it. The US domestic mobile industry is a corpse, rotting.
Nokia started long before the iPhone. Nokia set up its app store with partners, and all along the way it is connecting people also for the very poor, and even manages to win consistently Greenpeace's award as the greenest phone maker. While Apple uses Foxconn as its supplier, a manufacturer some accuse of being a sweatshop, Nokia set up the world's largest handset factory into China so it can control the handset manufacturing process itself.
The lazy story is to take the superficial and just say, Symbian is dead but there is more.
very interesting - but as usual very long read - http://is.gd/dAPSC

*reason for editing* more info on first quote -> entire article is highly recommendable for everyone who thinks Nokia is dead or near dead and who believes the Apple hype and US based Analyst hype
recent phone / tablett history SE W900, Nokia E65, Nokia N95-8GB / N900

Last edited by 77h; 2010-07-21 at 15:42.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 77h For This Useful Post:
good article, very in depth, but if he was complaining about the american analysts not understanding, he should have kept it to one paragraph

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
He's pretty heavily biased toward Nokia.

IE: Citing Google's pull back of Nexus One and MS Kin without explaining the actual cause. Implying the cause was tough market.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
He's pretty heavily biased toward Nokia.

IE: Citing Google's pull back of Nexus One and MS Kin without explaining the actual cause. Implying the cause was tough market.
What other cause could be? The Nexus One didn't sell as well as Google expected, worst even with HTC getting similar handsets subsidized through carriers.

The Kin didn't sell well either (due to being handicapped by Microsoft own incompetence); a featurephone priced like a smartphone. Market again.

I actually liked the article. After so much Apple Kool-aid in the news, some Nokia Kool-aid doesn't hurt.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
What other cause could be? The Nexus One didn't sell as well as Google expected, worst even with HTC getting similar handsets subsidized through carriers.

The Kin didn't sell well either (due to being handicapped by Microsoft own incompetence); a featurephone priced like a smartphone. Market again.

I actually liked the article. After so much Apple Kool-aid in the news, some Nokia Kool-aid doesn't hurt.
The Kin was a clause completion for Danger purchase. I know I'll get some !@#! for citing engadget, but read it yourself:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/02/l...-inside-story/

Google is a global software & services company. They've consistently proven to prefer having local/regional partners to do unnecessary (& less profitable) legworks than to do it themselves, leaving them to focus on their core stuff (look up their bandwidth rentals). Sure there are exceptions; but this isn't it.

But yeah, the more perspectives thrown on an interesting issue the better.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The Kin was a clause completion for Danger purchase. I know I'll get some !@#! for citing engadget, but read it yourself:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/02/l...-inside-story/

Google is a global software & services company. They've consistently proven to prefer having local/regional partners to do unnecessary (& less profitable) legworks than to do it themselves, leaving them to focus on their core stuff (look up their bandwidth rentals). Sure there are exceptions; but this isn't it.
I have read it in Engadget, also in Ars Technica. The problem with the Kin is that, as you say, it was viewed by Microsoft as a clause completion for purchasing Danger; instead of trying to develop its full potential. In fact; you can say that a fully developed Kin was a huge menace to WP7.

So they did a half-hearted job in developing it, Danger people has already left Microsoft; and the long time to develop it from zero prompted Verizon to price it as a smartphone. That was the problem. If the Kin had been offered for $0 with a $10 month plan with unlimited SMS, it wouldn't be dead today.

To offer a mobile device that, for whatever reasons, ended up as featurephone; priced as a smartphone (thus entering the bloodbath that the smartphone market is now), that was suicide.

But yeah, the more perspectives thrown on an interesting issue the better.
He writes something that I find sad to read:

"Now you have to put on a show and you have to brag about your greatness, else you will lose. Its no longer a 'lets build it together' world of cooperation, it is now a dog-eat-dog world of zero-sum: 'for me to win, you have to lose'. That is the game Apple brought to town."

Here is hoping that Android or Qt helps bridge some of the market segmentation that we have due to the zero-sum perspective that reigns in the market now.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
He's right about how the US carriers are indeed "dinosaurs". Not one argument from me about that.

So... is that the reason as to why Nokia doesn't really advertise in the US and Japan?

I love opinions as much as the other person; I just value answers more than opinion though.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So... is that the reason as to why Nokia doesn't really advertise in the US and Japan?
Not sure. Ahonen explained it as the Finnish way of doing rather than saying.

I don't really like advertising myself, but it is necessary in the US for sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
@mrojas: yeah, I think Tomi could do better if he didn't put Kin and Nexus One in the same class as 'real competitors failing' as he did. Palm, on the other hand, was a great example for that point.

I don't see the market changing significantly until it's common for everyone to have a personal automated assistant (virtual intelligent daemon) or something. By then, it'll be more common for 'normal people' to care more about their computing platform and how to (casually) program them.

As it is right now, mobile computers/smartphones market is smaller than the market of jewelry+wristwatch+high end dumbphones. So.. selling 'lifestyle' will still be the leading factor for the foreseeable future.

I think that Nokia assumed that, just be being Nokia, it would be enough for the US market, and that clearly has not worked out.

Nokia losing the US didn't happen overnight, and here is one of the things OPK is being correctly charged with: he should have not lost the US market in such a way.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post: