Active Topics

Yes, I've done searches and have read so many posts that my brain is full, but no clear answer.

Now that I've figured out the wonderful Media Converter and have the Navicore GPS card taking up one slot, I'd like to get a larger (higher capacity) card- 4 gigs+, but they all seem to be SDHC and I've read that HC cards are not compatible with the current OS without a patch (something that may me fairly complicated for a Linux newb like me). Is this wrong? Anyone using high cap SD cards without patching?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys! KH

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
You could have read the thread on this forum discussing the latest firmware and learned that SDHC is supported natively by the latest 4.2007.26-8 firmware!

However, the official Nokia SDHC support omitted the high-speed support that is/was previously available in the community patched kernels, hence a version of the 4.2007.26-8 kernel is now available with the relevant patches.

Unfortunately, the N800 hardware has a tendency to corrupt SD/SDHC cards, and even render cards inaccesible. This may be independent of kernel version, as the cause is so far undetermined.

I personally use the community patched version of the 4.2007.26-8 kernel and haven't had any problems - I did have unexeplained filesystem corruption with the official 4.2007.26-8 kernel.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
You could have read the thread on this forum discussing the latest firmware and learned that SDHC is supported natively by the latest 4.2007.26-8 firmware!

However, the official Nokia SDHC support omitted the high-speed support that is/was previously available in the community patched kernels, hence a version of the 4.2007.26-8 kernel is now available with the relevant patches.

Unfortunately, the N800 hardware has a tendency to corrupt SD/SDHC cards, and even render cards inaccesible. This may be independent of kernel version, as the cause is so far undetermined.

I personally use the community patched version of the 4.2007.26-8 kernel and haven't had any problems - I did have unexeplained filesystem corruption with the official 4.2007.26-8 kernel.
I do remember seeing that post, but maybe I didn't full understand it. Thank you for the reply and advice

Cheers!

Originally Posted by heckler770 View Post
I'd like to get a larger (higher capacity) card- 4 gigs+, but they all seem to be SDHC
This is apparently a common misconception. Technically, SD cards that follow the SD specs can only be 2GB in size. The SDHC spec supports cards larger than 2GB, but is more recent and isn't supported by many devices. Before the SDHC spec was finalized, there were a few manufacturers that tried workarounds to produce 4GB SD cards, but these don't follow specs and don't work in all devices. What I'm really saying is that at this point, all SD cards >=4GB should be SDHC cards.

(Apparently the original SDHC spec started out at 8GB capacity, so there really wasn't supposed to be 4GB cards. The spec has apparently been revised, or the manufacturers figured out another workaround.)