Active Topics

Hello,

First, I would like to apologise if my spelling/grammar in English is not quite well, english is not my mother tongue. I tried to look at this problem at the forum, but i couldn't find an answer. Hope you guys can help me.

Well, I just bought a micro sd card of 16gb, put it at my N900 and it was just fine. Then, I decided to put my music at the memory card, so I plug my N900 as the external mode (not the PC Suite one) and transfer my music file to the memory card. After the PC finish that task, i went to the windows tool to safely remove the N900. After that, my n900 recognize my memory card but it said that it was damaged. I turn off my off, take my memory card of the phone, put it again, but nothing seem to help. Then I plug again my phone, it detects the card, so I could copy the files. After that, I format my card as Fat32 format (take off the card and did that with the memory card reader). It was solved.

I think maybe was a small bug, but tried to the same, and the problem repeat. Anybody had that problem? Is there a way to transfer files to my card without to have to format it everytime?

Thanks a lot,

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
I use PC suite mode with windows 7, I never use Mass Storage as for some reason Win7 refuses to mount the memory card along with the n900 internal storage partition.

If you use PC mode the N900 will appear in 'My Computer' if using windows, from here you can transfer whatever you like onto either the internal memory of the N900 or to the memory card.

Alternatively you may also be able to use OVI suite as the N900 in finally compatible.

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
I have a similar problem. The memory card keeps corupting every so often. What I do is use error checking (xp) or scan and fix (Vista, 7) and this fixes my problem. No need to keep re-formatting.

The Following User Says Thank You to bigears5000 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
I use PC suite mode with windows 7, I never use Mass Storage as for some reason Win7 refuses to mount the memory card along with the n900 internal storage partition.

If you use PC mode the N900 will appear in 'My Computer' if using windows, from here you can transfer whatever you like onto either the internal memory of the N900 or to the memory card.

Alternatively you may also be able to use OVI suite as the N900 in finally compatible.
Well, I tried to access the memory card with PC Suite at Windows XP (work PC), but it just show my phone internal memory. I will try at my home PC (Win 7).

Hope Nokia will improve their support for the N900 at PC Suite or Ovi Suite...

Thanxs

Originally Posted by bigears5000 View Post
I have a similar problem. The memory card keeps corupting every so often. What I do is use error checking (xp) or scan and fix (Vista, 7) and this fixes my problem. No need to keep re-formatting.
I tried that, but didn't help. After disconnecting the usb cable, there was a message at the N900 "memory card format not compatible" or something like that in spanish.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
1. When you mount and copy files its a good idea to use eject in windows explorer option not safely remove option
2. Dont format using windows ,Try with N900

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I second w/ HellFlyer, do the format in the N900, not Windows. Also, use the fdisk program to see what type of partition the card has. It probably is using type b (FAT32) for it's partition type. I have found when working across devices you really want it in type c (FAT32 -LBA). The LBA addressing scheme is a much more ridgid standard, meaning devices all play with it using the same rules.

It may be worth changing the partition type and then re-making the fs in N900. To do that, type the commands below in a terminal after gaining root (you may need to install the gainroot/rootsh package, or use SSH to log in as root after installing the SSH package, which is what I advise).

This is the sequence to make fdisk change the type of partition 1 (default) to LBA mode FAT32:
Code:
fdisk /dev/mmcblk1
t
c
w
t = change type
c = the type to change to, in this case FAT32 LBA
w = write partition table changes to the card.

Then you format it like this:
Code:
mkfs.vfat /dev/mmcblk1p1
Hope that helps!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Finland
I've been having problems as well. A while ago, my N900 stopped accepting memory cards. I've tried rebooting, I've tried mounting in the console, I've tried getting a list of partition with
Code:
sfdisk -l
... It's like it doesn't exist. Now, I've dropped the phone a couple of times, but I'm hoping it's a software problem. Maemo 5 ver. 20.2010.36-2 Anyone had this problem? Is it hardware? I'm going to try re-flashing if nothing else works. Please, let it be a simple enough thing!