Active Topics

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by xomm View Post
+1 for finalizing, but I think we should add "Such threads or posts are subject to closure or deletion," to that statement, since as ndi stated, there really isn't anything stopping people from posting said content.
I would suggest "Such threads or posts are subject to closure or deletion at moderators' discretion." just to keep it crystal clear that the moderators will be able to make a call on that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
There are two different opinions on this issue, and i made the change due to the impression that some are in favor of scrupulously not making this part of the policy statement (i.e. just a friendly reminder that t.m.o. is not a Nokia forum), while you are suggesting we do in fact make it part of the policy. I was happy with the way it was originally: somewhere between, leaving it to the discretion of moderators as it is in fact anyway and should be for such threads. There are perfectly good examples of both kinds of posts around if we need exhibits. Adding something that sounds like a rule is going to be misinterpreted, i think.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Adding something that sounds like a rule is going to be misinterpreted, i think.
And OTOH, with it not being part of the policy, what is the point of it being there at all?

I'd either be in favour of the suggested clarification that action *may* be taken on those threads, or removing it. Keeping it as a "friendly reminder" is a good gesture, but it doesn't belong in a policy document IMO.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
May I suggest something along the lines of "posts addressing Nokia [...] will go unheard".

Also, I'd like to point out that, technically, it's not a rule. It has no penalty attached to it, so it's not a rule. Additionally, it's part of the introduction. So, maybe something that phases out "not allowed" and focuses on "pointless", so to speak?
Agreed. I propose changing from:

"talk.maemo.org is not operated by Nokia. Do not post topics specifically addressing Nokia, as this is a community forum."

To:

"talk.maemo.org is not operated by Nokia, and no formal support is provided here as this is a community forum. Please use the proper Nokia channels for warranty issues. Topics specifically addressing Nokia are discouraged, but not expressly forbidden."

And more of a disclaimer than rule, yes, so it should be pulled out and identified as such. Thanks ndi.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Now:
talk.maemo.org is not operated by Nokia and is a community forum, so be aware that posts and topics specifically addressed to Nokia will not be seen by Nokia. Such threads or posts are allowed, but are subject to closure or deletion at moderators' discretion. To directly comment, complain or suggest to Nokia, please visit the official Nokia forums: Nokia Europe, and Nokia USA.
Are we there yet?

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
It's both open enough to not discourage people, but still leaves enough room for mods to get rid of the more harmful threads.

/me likes!

(Just make sure threads won't get deleted left and right just because it's at your discretion! )

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ in states for now
actually its funded by nokia and they constantly check the forums for feedback...suprisingly

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by bayernhan View Post
actually its funded by nokia and they constantly check the forums for feedback...suprisingly
The key word there is "operated."
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Last edited by xomm; 2010-07-14 at 02:23. Reason: Realized the rest of the post didn't make much sense...

The Following User Says Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Now:

Are we there yet?
change 'will not be seen' to 'may not be seen' and we're good.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
change 'will not be seen' to 'may not be seen' and we're good.
How about "will not have any effect"? :P

Fine, done.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:

Tags
commandments, community, infractions, rules, t.m.o. policy